[Q] Can I Finally install the 2.3.5/3.0 OTA?

Search This thread

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
Hi all, my first post here.

Just got my Desire S this last week and have been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride. To sum it up:

• Got phone
  • Discovered phone to be 1.47.401.4 with HBOOT 0.98.0002
  • Temp rooted with fre3vo
  • Used Revolutionary 0.4pre to S-OFF phone
  • Installed ClockworkModRecovery
  • Installed SU
  • Checked for updates and discovered OTA firmware update available
  • Tried to upgrade via OTA update but failed due to it not being compatible with CWMR
  • Tried to update using a 2.10 RUU but got stuck in a bootloop
  • Reflashed CMWR and restored my backed up pre-RUU install system
  • Flashed stock recovery from 1.47.401.4 RUU
  • Tried to upgrade via OTA update but failed due to stuck in bootloop
  • Flashed CMWR and restored system
  • Created a gold card and tried to return to stuck using 1.47.401.4 RUU but failed because RUU said nothing I was already at 1.47.401.4 :-/
  • Restored stock recovery, stock radio and stock HBOOT

As far as I can tell this should put me back where I started with the phone, other than having the superuser binaries in place.

My HBOOT looks normal (0.98.0002) and the radio restore went fine and the stock recovery is in place (Used bootloader to start recovery and got /!\ icon (I'm guessing because no OTA zip on device right now?)).

So, will it be safe for me to try and OTA now with a good chance of success?

If I get stuck in a bootloop will I have any way to recovery?

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
My advice, is to immediately stop trying to do OTA updates, as all you'll achieve is a locked down phone that can only be unlocked by HTCdev which will limit you

Use revolutionary to unlock s-off phone, flash a custom and never look back

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
Right, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

Also, I was under the impression that a bootloader unlocked with HTCdev can have a custom recovery image installed much the same as an S-OFF bootloader can.

What limitations are you talking about.

I don't particularly want to use a custom ROM because I am pretty happy with the basic Sense experience so far.

I have seen that there is a thread providing rooted "stock" roms but I want to know all my options, including OTA.

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
Right, but that doesn't actually answer my question.

Also, I was under the impression that a bootloader unlocked with HTCdev can have a custom recovery image installed much the same as an S-OFF bootloader can.

What limitations are you talking about.

I don't particularly want to use a custom ROM because I am pretty happy with the basic Sense experience so far.

HTCdev unlocked phones aren't able to flash their boot partition from recovery, which means you'll require to seperately flash boot.img through fast boot every tine you change roms

You aren't able to change radios unless you're s-off

Look at the ROM that I'm on which if stock sense 3.5 plus lots of quality additions, stunning

As I said don't worry about ota just wait for the update to come then custom will be made from it that will be better

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
I'm a bit wary of custom roms. My previous phone was a SE X10 Mini Pro. Terrible phone with terrible stock software and most of the user-made roms for it are no better. The phone is only decent with a specific CM-based mod and other than that it was the pits.

I've been pretty happy with the basic Desire S rom so far. Is there anything which can honestly be classified as "must have" about any of the custom roms out there?

I'm quite happy to wait for the official ICS update and my wife will certainly rest easier knowing that I'm not about to totally mess up my new phone...

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
see this thread for evidence of the quality of the two best custom roms on this device

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597729

The endymion ROM that I'm on is sense 3.5 so a step ahead of the sense 2.1 or 3.0 that you have used.
These roms are super stable, more so than stock.

Read the thread of the ROM for details see links in my signature

Last edited:

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
I see. You still haven't answered my original questions though:

1. Can I use an OTA update at this point?
  2. If something goes wrong, what options do I have for recovery?

If I do decide to install Hyperion then thanks for the info on it but for now that's not actually what I'm asking...

Also, I have another question to add:

If I do decide to update via the official OTA update and then root my phone would I still be able to restore my HBOOT via the method described in this post. I used the described method to return my HBOOT from the Revolutionary version to 0.98.0002 with no issues but would the same trick work with the newer HBOOT? If the phone were updated via OTA and the HBOOT restored in this method would the official rom still boot (I ask because I found that even when I was able to get the OTA installed by restorting the stock recovery it bootlooped and I suspect this was becauce the OTA did not update the HBOOT...)

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
My advice, is to immediately stop trying to do OTA updates, as all you'll achieve is a locked down phone that can only be unlocked by HTCdev which will limit you

He answered this question with first post.

But, what the hell do you want to achieve?? You have your device one week and messed it up more than I did in 10 months.
you cannot root and still get official ota updates. It's not possible. And anything you can get through ota update can be found here on xda too.

Please tell us what you want to do and remember that you cannot mix up rooting and ota updates.

Sent by my fingers to your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben_pyett

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
Okay, this is really simple:

I want to be able to perform the OTA ICS update when it comes out.

I am not particularly interested in running a custom rom. I had my fill of non-working hardware and random instability with user roms for about 6 months with the X10 minipro.

Due to changing financial circumstances I need to be careful with this phone because if it dies or gets bricked I am not going to be able to get a new one that costs more than R500 until my next contractual upgrade which is going to be happening in 2 years time. I would prefer to have a useful phone for the next 2 years rather than a dumb block with no ability besides incoming/outgoing calls.

That means none of the horsing about I did with my X10 minipro.

You may now say "Hold on, why did you root your rom in the first place then?" and I can answer "Force of habit from using that X10 minipro which was terrible unless rooted and updated with a custom firmware and even then it was a pain".

Look, if you guys can honestly tell me in that XYZ custom rom is the best way to ensure that my phone stays in a working condition for the next 2 years and gets some form of update to ICS that works 100% and is stable then I will go the custom rom route.

My custom rom experience on the X10 minipro was not all bad, just mostly so which gives me pause when it comes to doing any more monkeying about.

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Okay, no I can understand your worries and fears. And also what you where doing.
situation similar to me, I could afford that phone only with a 2 year contract, so I'm f*cked up if I f*ck it up :)
I had to go back to my Sony erricsson Walkman handy if I mess up the desire s.

Let me tell you something:
I think all roms offered in the development section are build very well. There are some unstable roms, but that is due to the lack of kernel 3.0.
but I can really tell you for sure that endymion (I'm talking about that one because it is the best/most stable sense 3.5 ROM out there for our device) is the most rock solid ROM you'll ever use. It has 100% fully working hardware, just like stock. And I am really talking about 100%, not 99 :)

and it offers much more functionality than stock, due to allot of performance improvements and tweaks, that make it much smoother and stable than stock. I never had a reboot, freeze or anything like that in 4 months of heavy usage. You really can rely on lowveld and his work.

Of course you should be careful, it's an expensive device though.
I'm double reading everything and am very careful too, but I managed to never have any problem I couldn't solve myself. (forgot wipe before flashing etc... Nothing bad)
If you make a clean, correct install, there is nothing better you can do and you'll play a safe game.
BUT you will not be able to receive ota updates.

anyways, when the ics update is been released for our device, there will be a huge amount of roms based on that update. maybe this will be even before you can receive the update over the air. You will for sure be able to upgrade to ics, without using the ota update.
And those roms will quickly become same stable because of the kernel 3.0 will be available than.

That text was really hard for me, because of my limited English skills.. That's all I learned-by-doing

I hope I could help you a little bit :)

PS: endymion is what stock sense 3.5 should have been.

Last edited:

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will give Endymion a try and keep my fingers crossed :)

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
Whichever recovery you have installed.
4EXT is the most popular here but a lot of people still use Clockwork Mod recovery.
If you don't plan to use recovery a lot then just stick to what you have. If you do flash a lot, like a lot of the people here, then you might like to use 4EXT touch for a nicer interface. Either way, it doesn't make a difference, both will end up achieving the same result.

If you haven't got a recovery installed all you have to do is download either ROM Manager or 4EXT Recovery Updater, install the app and flash the recovery. You probably know this though!
Anyway 4EXT can be found here:
http://4ext.net/
The paid version is available in the play store and CWM can be found in ROM manager from the play store.

OOPMan

Nov 9, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys. I installed Endymion this morning with no issues and am finding it very nice :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

He answered this question with first post.

But, what the hell do you want to achieve?? You have your device one week and messed it up more than I did in 10 months.
    you cannot root and still get official ota updates. It's not possible. And anything you can get through ota update can be found here on xda too.

Please tell us what you want to do and remember that you cannot mix up rooting and ota updates.