[Q] Can an S-OFF Desire help any dev's? I have one now.

Search This thread

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Okay, YES I know this is on the limit for this sub-forum, but give me a minute to explain...

1. I have no Desire experience, hang out in the Nexus forums myself
2. I have an S-OFF Desire at the moment
3. I have no idea if this is commonly available or even useful
4. I SEARCHED (want the list: "s-off", "s-on", "unlocked bootloader", "bootloader", "unlocked H-BOOT", "H-BOOT", "is this worth my time", etc)

...and I only want relevant attention for 12 hours or so... :)

So, mods and peeps, bear with me... either please politely say "no" and close the thread or say "yes" and pm me.

gracis

StrongOneX

Jan 1, 2010
[SteveJobsMode=ON]
This is fantastic. Its absolutely brilliant, Amazing, Beautiful that we found a device with S-OFF.

[SteveJobsMode=OFF]

How do you dump it?? :confused:

merlin051

Jun 3, 2010
a simialr thread posted for the n1,

hxxp://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/311351/build-version-erd56c/

there is some adb stuff you might want to try.

ps, whats your boot animation look like? :)

Last edited:

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
a simialr thread posted for the n1,

hxxp://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/311351/build-version-erd56c/

there is some adb stuff you might want to try.

ps, whats your boot animation look like? :)

Just the android text with slight shimmer... nothing too exciting...

Had a look at the post... nothing new I'm afraid...

Last edited:

sindrefyrn

Nov 19, 2009
Oslo
sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is this S-Off? can someone give me a run down?

Cheers

It's short for security off. A hboot with s-off will allow us to flash and boot custom images trough fastboot. Fastboot can be accessed by booting the phone while holding down the back key. Hboot is the second deepest partition on an Android phone, only beaten by the radio, radio bootloader is almost never used flashing from.

Things it can do for us... the most important command in fastboot is the boot command. It's not really helpful for end users, but developers can use it to boot their custom images before flashing to see if it works with the phone without risking anything. Since it's deeper than recovery it may give us write access to the system partition while normal booted (?). Hboot is also often called SPL (maybe not on desire, but at least on other devices), a hboot with security disabled is often called engineering's SPL.

My knowledge on this is mainly based on other devices. Some may be wrong or misleading. If anyone sees something wrong, please let me know.

xtcislove

Jan 17, 2010
Gummersbach
Nothing Phone 2
OnePlus 12
I think its not the problem to extract the spl and patch it to s-off the problem is to flash it (it must be signed) or the SPL partition is r/o there some German users that ere very near to System r/w just wait they will post it!

ieftm

Apr 17, 2008
This has nothing to do with hboot. His CID is most likely set to supercid, eg 11111111.

S-off allows non-signature rom flashing, full rw nand access.

@ts: could you come on irc? Irc.freenode.net , ny nick is IEF.
I'm part of a team thats investigating this. Info from your phone
WILL help a lot! Just pm me asap please :)

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Okay, have now slept... :)

So, it seems this is indeed relevant for this sub-forum so I'll reply here rather than via pm.

Where I am:

• have root
  • have new radio
  • have fastboot access

• do not have adb access
  • can not flash any kernels here in XDA

I'm not a muppet and have adb working fine for my Nexus but for the life of me can not get it working on this Desire. HTC Sync does not recognise the phone as connected in any mode (Win7 & XP). I've used the Google and HTC drivers. I've used driver tools to remove the registry entries and reconnect phone, no joy. Although I do get "HTC Android Phone USB Disk". :confused:

I can't flash a kernel via a recovery .zip. In fact, even if I flash a rom from here on XDA the kernel fails to install. Bad block are reported on the boot partition which I realise is common. This does however mean that if I install a custom kernel to get a dump it will have to be VERY small.

I've had a few questions asking if I'm willing to dump it. Well, of course I am, that's why I posted... :)

I am trying to secure the device for the weekend EDIT: I have the phone for the weekend.

Last edited: