Looking for preorders / donations

Search This thread

NtGam1ng

Nov 28, 2010
Hello everyone, recently picked up an acer a500 over the weekend and i have to admit i am in love with it, i have always thought that tablets were useless when i have an android phone but i have to admit, this thing has changed my mind, and the fact that it has full usb makes it even better, but I have been a little annoyed at the lack of a keyboard / laptop dock. After reading a couple of threads about what the dock connector does on the tab I have decided to fill the need for this adapter. What i have planned includes the following.

Definite features are:

Full Keyboard
Charging ability
Extra usb ports

Possible features are:
Built in harddrive and OR memory card reader
Built in battery (obviously a little expensive to add so may be not possible)
Built in trackpad to use as a mouse.

I am just trying to see how many people would be interested in this and what they would be willing to pay for this. I would love to provide an adapter for the community since acer didn't make one, I also have a couple of other questions as well, if i made two models, one with a battery built in and one without how much more would you be willing to pay for an extra battery, also this would be a fordable dock meaning you could fold it together to carry like a normal laptop.

I look forward to hearing some responses, i hope to be able to offer this for about $100 or less however the more features obviously the more expensive it will be to implement. :)

NtGam1ng

Nov 28, 2010
Awesome, I plan to have a prototype made by the weekend, i think the material of choice is going to be wood since it's light weight, easy to manipulate and also sturdy and it doesn't conduct electricity :)

H4k3r4r34l

Mar 6, 2010
once i see a working prototype, then id preorder, until then all your doing is fishing for donations, ive been lurking xda for quite some time and usually people with so few post and not a recognized developer are just spewing flights of fancy and never actually create anything, though if im wrong, prove me wrong and ill be the first to not only apologize but preorder one. not trying to be a d*ck just saying how it usually goes..

NtGam1ng

Nov 28, 2010
once i see a working prototype, then id preorder, until then all your doing is fishing for donations, ive been lurking xda for quite some time and usually people with so few post and not a recognized developer are just spewing flights of fancy and never actually create anything, though if im wrong, prove me wrong and ill be the first to not only apologize but preorder one. not trying to be a d*ck just saying how it usually goes..

No worries I understand completely, once I have a prototype done then and only then will I accept any orders or donations, should have made that more clear beforehand sorry about that, right now I'm just judging the interest of the community for such a product. :)

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
How will you be connecting this? AFAIK, the full pinouts and capabilities of the dock connector are not known...

NtGam1ng

Nov 28, 2010
How will you be connecting this? AFAIK, the full pinouts and capabilities of the dock connector are not known...

Using my volt meter and some old fashion trial and error, I'm pretty confident in my abilities just need to actually get started on development, going today to look into what my supplies are going to cost.

NtGam1ng

Nov 28, 2010
I know I will need more than a voltmeter, and yes i read that before i decided to embark on this project. This is where trial and error will come in, from a usb standpoint since there is an apparent lack of usb support through the dock this will be circumvented by having a small plugin to the usb host port in order to connect the planned additional usb devices in the dock.

dophir

Aug 20, 2011
genius

This is fantastic! I've been searching for a good case too, this sounds perfect, give the Transformer a run for its money. I'd buy one, let me know.

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver
The dock connector doesn't have the required pins for USB, or really anything other than charging.

hardslog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2009
It could be some sort of variation of the keyboard that Acer already made for this tablet. Perhaps modifying it so that you can put the dock in to charge and have the input device (in this case the keyboard) connect via bluetooth. Having the touchpad for a mouse is a different story though.

BrianDigital

It could be some sort of variation of the keyboard that Acer already made for this tablet. Perhaps modifying it so that you can put the dock in to charge and have the input device (in this case the keyboard) connect via bluetooth. Having the touchpad for a mouse is a different story though.
I'd rather use USB for a mouse using a touch pad would not be so good with onlive

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Be cautions with Trial and error on a mobile device . there electronics will not be forgiving any type of over voltage or short circuits . And you could very well be shopping for a new ICONIA .
To me a dock for a hand held tablet is counter productive . PEOPLE BUY A NETBOOK.its faster more power more storage more battery . LESS MONEY.

Ok the above is my opinion only I have a 11.6 inch hp notebook with the new multi core amd fusion cpu i get unbelievable battery life. Near that of my iconia .
with a full keyboard and track pad 1.2 tb hard drive

So good luck . by the way if you get the connectors and hardware worked out make the case out of lexon or carbon fiber both easy to work with and mold to any shape . acrylic works well also..

GOOD LUCK INSURE your iconia and home up front Erica Renee

BrianDigital

Be cautions with Trial and error on a mobile device . there electronics will not be forgiving any type of over voltage or short circuits . And you could very well be shopping for a new ICONIA .
To me a dock for a hand held tablet is counter productive . PEOPLE BUY A NETBOOK.its faster more power more storage more battery . LESS MONEY.

Ok the above is my opinion only I have a 11.6 inch hp notebook with the new multi core amd fusion cpu i get unbelievable battery life. Near that of my iconia .
with a full keyboard and track pad 1.2 tb hard drive

So good luck . by the way if you get the connectors and hardware worked out make the case out of lexon or carbon fiber both easy to work with and mold to any shape . acrylic works well also..

GOOD LUCK INSURE your iconia and home up front Erica Renee

I really don't want a net book if Acer doesn't add something like this with their tablets I'm just going to smh

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

netham45

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2009
Denver

Acer has not made a keyboard that uses the dock for this tablet. You may be thinking of the W500 keyboard, or of a USB keyboard.

To be honest, I don't see this going anywhere. OP, I'd suggest you find out how to get USB or Keyboard off of that connector before asking for preorders.

To anyone else, I'd suggest you just keep looking. Not to be rude or mean to him, but the OP seems to be rather noobish, and I think your money would most likely be better spent elsewhere, or at least held onto until there's some sort of result or breakthrough.

Also, the OP only having 9 posts throws up a red flag to me.