[STICKY INDEX] AT&T GS III - I747 {/Root/ROMsTools}

Search This thread

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
As far as I know, the bootloaders on the s3 have never been locked unlike some Nexus, Motorola, and Sony phones. If the i747 or i747m has a 4.3 bootloader or higher, it cannot be downgraded which, I believe, is not the same as being locked.

Before I could install a custom recovery, I had to unlock the bootloader on a Nexus 4, Sony Xperia Z, ZL, and Motorola Atrix HD and G. This not the case with the i747 and i747m.

It is possible to run a stock 4.3 ROM on a KK bootloader if the stock ROM is flashed using mobile Odin as mobile Odin does not flash a modem or bootloader; however, running a 4.3 ROM on a KK bootloader will not allow the phone to connect to a cellular carrier.
You were on the other thread with the guy that had an i747m, I searched forums that detailed S3 KitKat version bootloaders being locked. I can copy a paste a thread or a few if you'd like, but we established this yesterday. That's why custom recovery wouldn't work. Just like the S4 it simple to get root access, but users are unable to downgrade to pre-4.4 firmware, use AOSP ROMs, utilize custom recovery and so on. I wasn't aware the S3 had any versions with bootloaders locked, but plenty of forums here and other sites detail it, and it certainly fit all the symptoms with g33k's i747m yesterday. I'm really unclear outside of ATT and VZW and Canadian counterparts I suppose, which is or is not locked. I flashed an old S3 with the newer version bootloader included with KitKat 4.4.2 to try, and it certainly doesn't allow 4.3 JB to be reverted to afterward. That one has screen burn so its disposable anyway. I done that yesterday to see what extent the lock really is on the S3 i747. I didn't try Philz or TWRP since I think several forums cover that already. I only remember that when the new bootloader was released, it was known that it wasn't possible to revert once updated. I was never going to anyway, but I find it interesting none the less because I was unaware that any S3 had any sort of locked bootloader. It may be limited only to ATT and VZW, but it's still interesting to know.

Of course, there is a tool for the S4 now so that users with KK can use JB Stock Roms, but I havnt ever used it. I wasn't even aware the S3 bootloader had a bounty to be unlocked til yesterday. At any rate, I'm not up to speed on what ROMs can or can not be flashed with that bootloader. I have been reading though, because of the chronology it has in common with other devices. I'm also curious if that version predates the current bootloaders which are locked on the S4, S5 and other devices as it might lend some insight... or not. If I recall right though, CM11.1/2 worked with the i747 but needed the bootloader upgraded, so that isn't consistent with a locked bootloader. It makes for some interesting reading, but figuring out what applies, and what doesn't is trying. I'll try flashing a stock ROM 4.3 and see f the stock kernel works. It might! Its academic, but I'm curious about this bootloader now, and might can learn something new. I'm also curious why the i747m yesterday was so restrictive with others not being of the same device and version. I knew what it sounded like as soon as he said he softbricked going into recovery even trying different versions and using Odin and trying flashing with device. Oh, I've never used mobile Odin, but I own it lol. Were you able to flash an S3 to 4.3 with updated bootloader with PC? I'm not sure what expanded ability Mobile Odin has really. Also, did you ever use CM or an AOSP ROM after updating the bootloader? And was the device an i747 ATT? That's what I own is why I ask. I might goof around with it later and see what, if any, limits it has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I easily flashed a custom recovery onto 6 different i747m phones in the past 2 months. The phones were all running stock ROMs, warranty bit 0, and I was able to flash CWM/Philz without any issue.

Yes, please send me the thread as I am curious as to why this is. The i747 and i747m have identical hardware and I have never encountered an i747m with a locked bootloader. In fact, I have seen people on this forum that hard bricked their i747 by using unlock tools to unlock the bootloader. In some cases, the bricked phone could be revived by booting with a de-brick image, re-flashing the stock bootloader, flashing a custom recovery, and flashing a custom ROM.

If I recall correctly, the Canadian s4 does not have a locked bootloader while some of the USA variants did.

With a locked bootloader, flashing a custom recovery is not so easy. I read about the ATT s4 where safestrap comes into play.

Last edited:

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
I easily flashed a custom recovery onto 6 different i747m phones in the past 2 months. The phones were all running stock ROMs, warranty bit 0, and I was able to flash CWM/Philz without any issue.

Yes, please send me the thread as I am curious as to why this is. The i747 and i747m have identical hardware and I have never encountered an i747m with a locked bootloader. In fact, I have seen people on this forum that hard bricked their i747 by using unlock tools to unlock the bootloader. In some cases, the bricked phone could be revived by booting with a de-brick image, re-flashing the stock bootloader, flashing a custom recovery, and flashing a custom ROM.

If I recall correctly, the Canadian s4 does not have a locked bootloader while some of the USA variants did.

With a locked bootloader, flashing a custom recovery is not so easy. I read about the ATT s4 where safestrap comes into play.
Safestrap is the only recovery that functions unfortunately. Its possible to get a recovery to flash to mmcblk0p21, but getting the device to allow the recovery to boot is another story. It softbricks with an AT&T unauthorized software detected screen... On the i337,anyway.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Safestrap is something that is not required for the i747 or i747m because the bootloader is not locked. The recovery does not have to be signed in order to be installed which is one reason CWM and TWRP can be easily installed to the i747 and i747m. I don't recall needing USB debugging or root access before flashing a custom recovery.

I'm not sure but one advantage of having a locked bootloader would be to prevent the installation of non-signed software.

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
Safestrap is the only recovery that functions unfortunately. Its possible to get a recovery to flash to mmcblk0p21, but getting the device to allow the recovery to boot is another story. It softbricks with an AT&T unauthorized software detected screen... On the i337,anyway.

Just forum search for s3 locked bootloader lol... I could copy n paste quite a few, but searching is easier by far. There are too many to be pasting. As I I said, I never dealt with a locked S3, but there seem to be a lot of users having issues with them being locked or seemingly locked.

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Just forum search for s3 locked bootloader lol... I could copy n paste quite a few, but searching is easier by far. There are too many to be pasting. As I I said, I never dealt with a locked S3, but there seem to be a lot of users having issues with them being locked or seemingly locked.

This forum is about the i747 and i747m. There may be other carriers with locked bootloaders but these two models do not have locked bootloaders. I noticed that some users have thought the bootloader was locked because they could not root the phone. I have helped XDA members from Europe and Spain who thought they had a locked bootloader when, in fact, they simply did not know how to use Odin. From my searches on the Internet, Verizon is the only carrier I found with a locked bootloader.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-iii/187564-locked-bootloader.html

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
This forum is about the i747 and i747m. There may be other carriers with locked bootloaders but these two models do not have locked bootloaders. I noticed that some users have thought the bootloader was locked because they could not root the phone. I have helped XDA members from Europe and Spain who thought they had a locked bootloader when, in fact, they simply did not know how to use Odin. From my searches on the Internet, Verizon is the only carrier I found with a locked bootloader.

Happy day then! Should I point to the post up the page that states, I didn't know any were any, any carrier, s3's were locked until yesterday? Technically, there are also universal carrier ROMs here also... Like hyperdrive if its still listed on the op. Not sure. And cudos to helping some ppl :) Good job... I suppose. Mentioning that to the user needing help yesterday, would have been nice. Perhaps, using your experience to help a user that knew how to use Odin, but had symptoms of locked bootloader just the same with recovery and reverting back to 4.3. That's your device... I747m with KK. The rest of us only had US variants and myself none with over CM 10.0. even. Just sayin'.... easy to pull up a list of devices, when you know the list already. Thanks for the clarification... ATT S3 was about the last device with an unlocked bootloader according to your article.

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013

I think you're right... I've assumed others know the ropes and how to properly use Odin and that they're in fact flashing the correct recovery to their device. I need to explain better and confirm they've followed the right steps. I think maybe the user on the other thread may actually have an incorrect Philz recovery he's flashing. That fits the symptoms. He's on vacation, but we need to help him, if he wants when he returns. It does have to be an issue with his flashing though. It just fits all the symptoms I have with the locked bootloader on my device to a T though, but with that eliminated it helps focus on his use of Odin and confirmation he has i747m and maybe not i747... its worth asking :) thanks for your input... Seriously. I need to be more explanatory if want to assist people. I do enjoy it.

Top Liked Posts