Create Google Authenticator QR Codes

Search This thread

andrewdroid

Oct 19, 2010
New York, NY
Samsung Galaxy S21
I found something interesting.

If you need to quickly set up Google Authenticator on an unrooted phone and have it already set up on a rooted one, it's possible to generate a QR code, or manually enter the code via keyboard.

This is good if you want two devices with Google Authenticator but can't use titanium backup to restore it to the new unrooted phone.

-----------

So first you need to find the secret codes on your old phone. It's stored in the app data for Google authenticator. I used ES Explorer. Turn on the Root Explorer option, and navigate to

\data\data\com.google.android.apps.authenticator2\databases

Open the file marked "databases" with a text editor. Add the very bottom will be your secret codes.

You can either type these into the setup on a new Google Authenticator app, or you can make a QR code. It's actually pretty cool to have the QR codes ready to go, so I made them.

You'll need a QR generator. I used a free one for windows called "Zint" http://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/

Anyway, select QR code in symbology, and then you'll need the correct syntax.

otpauth://totp/AccountName?secret=CODEGOESHERE

Put in the account name before the question mark (don't delete the question mark!), and then paste your secret code where it says.

Then you can save the QR codes as PNG files.
----

It's of course much easier just to backup the Authenticator app along with data using Titanium Backup, but it's good to use this as a backup in case that's not an option (new phone, has no root yet, installed NB1, etc).