Hardware Compatability to microSDXC

Search This thread

IndigoHD

Dec 19, 2009
Lenovo P11
I been reading up a lil bit on this since the extended capacity sounds incredible, especially for HD2 users who have no real built in space.

and Wikipedia says SDHC compatible devices can use sdxc with UHS104 speeds, but not with the newer sd 4.0 specification.

Will the HD2 be capable of SD 4.0 with a firmware update or is this solely a hardware incompatability?

le_da

Sep 26, 2007
hello

Is there someone who really tested 64 or 128 GB SDXC, on HD2?

Well, unless installing WP 7.5 changes the hardware, that's bollox.

Does anyone know if a HD2 running WM6.5 supports 64GB microSDXC cards? As in has anyone tried it?

Good

Recognizes the HTC HD2 if micro sd 64 gb and I have a dual boot and I have not given me any problems

To be recognized only be formatted in FAT32

regards

Last edited:

andyfoster

Jan 21, 2010
Reading
I ordered a 64GB micro-SDXC card from amazon.co.uk a week ago for GBP45.39 (found on HotUkdeals). Arrived today (was listed as "usually despatched within 1 - 4 weeks"), h2testw confirms capacity, and works fine in my HD2 running WM6.5 (Energy ROM), which shows capacity as 60906MB.

zarathustrax

Aug 29, 2007
SouthSide of Chicago
I don't understand why so many jump in saying a 64gb card wouldn't work when they obviously haven't tried. i would assume that it work fine as long as its formatted fat32... Any android phone should accept 64gb cards as well. the only difference between sdhc & sdxc is the formatting Im pretty sure. sdxc is formatted exFat of something like that, but its easy enough to reformat anyway you'd like with a computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

sphp

Mar 5, 2012
I have the Sandisk 64GB microSDXC Class 6 and it just works as a 32GB Samsung Class 10. The Sandisk is just a little bit slower in Benchmarks but in my phone I can't feel any difference; besides of the double of space. ;-)

sebvll

Dec 21, 2009
SanDisk Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB works

I installed the Tytung ICS build on a SanDisk Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB.
Works fine! Just needs to be farmatted in Fat32

marcsayer

Nov 26, 2011
Oakridge, OR
gracieland.org
Does anyone know if a HD2 running WM6.5 supports 64GB microSDXC cards? As in has anyone tried it?

YES you absolutely can run a 64GB microSDXC in an HD2. At least I can verify that with WM6.5.5. I am using the SanDisk 64GB class 10 micro SDXC card in my HD2. The phone does read the full 64GB and can access it all. You do have to reformat it first as it is in exFAT which can't be read. It needs to be formatted in FAT32. The kicker with that if you try to format in your PC, MS has deemed that FAT32 is 32 GB max and if you use the inbuilt format in any version of Windows, it will only format it in exFAT or NTFS. I also tried using a program called SDFormatter but it would not allow me to format in FAT32 either. There is a way to do it from a DOS command but... I ended up using EaseUS Partion Master Home Edition, which is a free program. It worked a charm, and was very fast as well, Then I xxcopy'ed my SD card contents onto the new 64GB card and installed it in my phone. Both my WM 6.5.5 and my SD Android 2.2 are working perfectly, though the Android may be just a bit slower now and then. Both my 32GB and my 64GB are class 10s. I use XXcopy to keep a backup of my SD card on my computer, just in case. I update the backup every couple weeks or if I have updated anything significantly (which seems to be all the time with Android apps). I am running Core Cell Evo v4.1 and CoreDroid v.08. Here are the links to Partition Master http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm and XXcopy http://www.xxcopy.com/xcpydnld.htm

Here is a screenshot from my HD2 when it was booted into Android.

Attachments

• shot_000001.jpg
    shot_000001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 441

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
128 GB ? OK, will be my next try, then ! :laugh:

I just received my SanDisk SDSDQUA-064G-U46A 64 GB micro SD XC card and been using it for three days now.

To make sure it will work flawlessly, just do the following :

- Use the phone formatting tool (it will format the card in FAT32)

- When restoring your data to the card, don't overwrite the "Application Data" folder nor the "EncFiltLog.menc" file that will have been put on the card root after formatting.

- Check it's Ok by launching an SD android ROM. If you can browse the memory card's contents, you win. Else, just try again from the beginning ! :laugh:

Anyway, both the HD2 and Windows Mobile are fully SD XC compatible, at least up to 64 GB (really NEED to test for 128 GB now ! :D ), so don't trust people saying they're not ! ;)

zenida

Jan 25, 2010
Cetraro
astragonia.altervista.org
maybe you can try to partition the SD in multiple partitions of 32GB each... so you can easily use a fat32 file system.

just one question..do is possible to use a 64gb ntfs? Because my SanDisk 32gb class 10 uhs1 is formatted using NTFS and works really well, so I think you could be able to use a 64GB NTFS formatted

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
I don't think so.

Windows mobile doesn't recognize NTFS (should have been an add-on, if only developpers hadn't stopped producing for this platform), and Android is Linux (Debian) based, so would rather use ext2 / ext3, and of course, FAT and FAT32, that fortunately stay the common links between all worlds...

Edit : Wait, is your card really NTFS formatted ? :eek: Windows should automatically choose FAT32 when formatting up to these sizes. I hadn't heard of Windows Mobile being able to read it. It can't read an USB disk in NTFS from Cotulla or Zeno Sloim USB host driver, for instance.

I even tried to format EXFAT32 on my HD2, with no luck. So FAT 32 only, but din't lost room in the process of formatting 64 GB in FAT32. My 32 GB card was almost full, and I earned a full 32 GB storage, so there's no visible cluster waste.

It's even much faster than the old 32 GB card (I bought one of the first that came available form Sandisk), despite the larger volume and allocation tables.

Highly recommended upgrade for people lacking room... ;) It's totally stable, fast and reliable.

Now your idea to format in 2 chunks is good too. Anyway, Windows Mobile could manage them, so why not ? Maybe to be tried when 128 GB cards will become available ! :D

Last edited:

DoubleT34

Feb 13, 2013
Afyonkarahisar
tatli.me
Can i ask you something? I want to buy a new micro sd for my HD2 EU 512 but i read there is compatibility promlem for UHS. Can i use this card "Sandisk 32GB Android Ultra Micro Class 10 SDSDQUA-032G-U46A" with HD2?
3669720.jpeg

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
I have the same looking one, but 64 GB class 10 and it works a breeze on the HD2, either under Windows Mobile 6.5.x and Android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

YES you absolutely can run a 64GB microSDXC in an HD2. At least I can verify that with WM6.5.5. I am using the SanDisk 64GB class 10 micro SDXC card in my HD2. The phone does read the full 64GB and can access it all. You do have to reformat it first as it is in exFAT which can't be read. It needs to be formatted in FAT32. The kicker with that if you try to format in your PC, MS has deemed that FAT32 is 32 GB max and if you use the inbuilt format in any version of Windows, it will only format it in exFAT or NTFS. I also tried using a program called SDFormatter but it would not allow me to format in FAT32 either. There is a way to do it from a DOS command but... I ended up using EaseUS Partion Master Home Edition, which is a free program. It worked a charm, and was very fast as well, Then I xxcopy'ed my SD card contents onto the new 64GB card and installed it in my phone. Both my WM 6.5.5 and my SD Android 2.2 are working perfectly, though the Android may be just a bit slower now and then. Both my 32GB and my 64GB are class 10s. I use XXcopy to keep a backup of my SD card on my computer, just in case. I update the backup every couple weeks or if I have updated anything significantly (which seems to be all the time with Android apps). I am running Core Cell Evo v4.1 and CoreDroid v.08. Here are the links to Partition Master http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm and XXcopy http://www.xxcopy.com/xcpydnld.htm

Here is a screenshot from my HD2 when it was booted into Android.
    Well, unless installing WP 7.5 changes the hardware, that's bollox.

Good

Recognizes the HTC HD2 if micro sd 64 gb and I have a dual boot and I have not given me any problems

To be recognized only be formatted in FAT32

regards
    I ordered a 64GB micro-SDXC card from amazon.co.uk a week ago for GBP45.39 (found on HotUkdeals). Arrived today (was listed as "usually despatched within 1 - 4 weeks"), h2testw confirms capacity, and works fine in my HD2 running WM6.5 (Energy ROM), which shows capacity as 60906MB.
    I don't understand why so many jump in saying a 64gb card wouldn't work when they obviously haven't tried. i would assume that it work fine as long as its formatted fat32... Any android phone should accept 64gb cards as well. the only difference between sdhc & sdxc is the formatting Im pretty sure. sdxc is formatted exFat of something like that, but its easy enough to reformat anyway you'd like with a computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
    I have used hp format tool on 64gb card, perhaps card reader being used has some role in it not working for everyone.
    Another tool which was recommended to me was GUI32Format which seems work for majority of people (attached below)
    Rather good that the HD2 can handle the formatting itself though :)
    Glad to see you still using WM too :D feel like i'm last one left at times ...

I have the red/gey sandisk & been faultless to date (used about 2+yrs) .
    Will be keeping backup refreshed bit more frequently from now though I think ...