D850 qi charging mod

Search This thread

inaudible101

Dec 24, 2010
So I'll have to appologize for my crap soldering skills, but here's my progress so fay.

I was able to try about five different soldering routes for the ground, but for some reason I can not get it to charge with the plastic piece on that covers the back of the USB port. With the bottom part off I am able to charge at USB speeds without a problem. I worked on this for a few hours this morning and am done for now. I might take another crack at it in a few days. I'll update you guys if I have and success and if I get it all working reliably I'll create a new thread and post everything I had to do.

Here's an album of my really crappy looking soldering job. USB port functions completely without any issues.
http://imgur.com/a/xnjbu

Reactions: sailindawg

oblivinated

Sep 29, 2008
Just Buy T-Mobile LG G3

Or you guys could just buy the T-Mobile version and get a back with wireless charging... or better yet just by the sticker that has been going around for T-Mobile G3s.

oblivinated

Sep 29, 2008
That's not a practical solution for most people. Hopefully there will be some form of a solution for everyone else.

I know... but AT&T screwed us over already by insisting that the G3s they carry are only compatible with the PMA standard. At this point, there really is no practical solution.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I know... but AT&T screwed us over already by insisting that the G3s they carry are only compatible with the PMA standard. At this point, there really is no practical solution.

I agree Att did screw people with that. That's why I have a G3 Cat 6 and the D850. Not everyone can just go get another phone for many reasons. I think that a solution is possible but it will entail a PMA sticker that will fit like the qi. That's the best case scenario this point.

herokid672

Jul 18, 2009
Replace hardware

Hey guys,

Would it be possible to replace the PMA hardware with the Qi hardware from another phone? Just asking a question, pretty new to all this.

OR

Would it be better to buy the T-mobile variant and unlock it for the Qi and would you get 4g LTE?

Last edited:

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Hey guys,

Would it be possible to replace the PMA hardware with the Qi hardware from another phone? Just asking a question, pretty new to all this.

OR

Would it be better to buy the T-mobile variant and unlock it for the Qi and would you get 4g LTE?

Buy the TMobile one because it has qi and an unlocked BL. You will get LTE in ATT as far as I know.

iazybandit

Jul 21, 2014
www.1kindphotography.com

BB6H22LUDE

Feb 5, 2014
Phoenix
m.facebook.com
different back plate

So say i have a d850. But my back plate is one that supports qi like a T-Mobile back plate. That won't work?

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I paid 4.99 for a T-Mobile backplate with nfc for my d850 from eBay.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
So say i have a d850. But my back plate is one that supports qi like a T-Mobile back plate. That won't work?

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I paid 4.99 for a T-Mobile backplate with nfc for my d850 from eBay.

Qi will not work on the Att model using the back cover. The NFC will still work but no qi.

asbiugyybsad

Dec 9, 2014
I wonder if qi would work if i sacrifice my micro usb with a universal micro usb Qi charge receiver that uses a micro usb slot

I rather lose the micro usb

DonS

Mar 28, 2005
Anyone tried the PMA + NFC stickers from Amazon

I see there are now a couple of PMA + NFC stickers to replace the NFC only sticker on the back cover of the AT&T G3 listed on Amazon.

Has anyone tried these? They are around $19 - $23. A new back with the stickers already installed is $39.95.

My only concern would be the bulge factor. I've seen the posts of people taking the stickers off the LG circle case for the D850 and put them onto the stock back and there was a bulge from the metal disk. I can buy one of the PMA + NFC stickers for around $20 and the Powermat charging cradle for about $10. So for $30 I could have wireless charging. I just don't want the back to bulge.

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I see there are now a couple of PMA + NFC stickers to replace the NFC only sticker on the back cover of the AT&T G3 listed on Amazon.

Has anyone tried these? They are around $19 - $23. A new back with the stickers already installed is $39.95.

My only concern would be the bulge factor. I've seen the posts of people taking the stickers off the LG circle case for the D850 and put them onto the stock back and there was a bulge from the metal disk. I can buy one of the PMA + NFC stickers for around $20 and the Powermat charging cradle for about $10. So for $30 I could have wireless charging. I just don't want the back to bulge.

It will bulge no matter what. The center magnet causes it to bulge. I, as well as a couple others, drilled a hole in the back plate for the magnet to sit in and it almost eliminates the bulge. You can cover it up with a skin or sticker or just do like me and keep a case on. After the modification I have no problem charging through my Diztronic tpu case.

I am using the $39.95 back plate from Amazon.

Edit: I think the price has dropped to $30 or lower.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

meladori30

May 2, 2010
I got the sticker chip from Amazon

So I got the case with the sticker chip for PMA already installed. NFC works fine but unless I remove the sticker, hold in in place on the contacts and try the powermat it will not charge at all. Not even through a thin tape without any cover. It only works if I hold it and place it directly to the mat. The seller has sent me a new chip to try that will arrive tomorrow so we shall see if it was just a bad chip or what. I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work it was making me nuts! :mad: I went as far as to cut a hole out of the back of the stock plate to where the whole sticker showed and only left enough space to tape the edges in place still won't do anything. I'll update on the new one once I get it tomorrow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    e6ybapem.jpg
    Ok here's the finished product - the trickiest part was lining up with the phone itself so the charging works.
    I don't think he's intending to sell them.
    If you look at this other item (same seller), you'll see it's only $40 but he's removed D850 from the title, since that model is only compatible with PMA:
    Item # 151340368484
    (can't post a link until I've posted 10 times, sorry)

I can now CONFIRM that this eBay cover DOES WORK ON TMo D851 (Qi charging)! It is white, not black, but it works so all is good. Woo Hoo!
    as promised:
    1. looks like there is no att branding on the case after all.

2. i modified the coil and used the original metal disc because of a stronger magnetic grasp to the base. I basically removed all layers including the thicker lead sheet layer to compensate for the thickness of the disc.

3. applied a layer of thin vinyl to cover the coil and disc, Like the factory version.

this mod does not add any bulging, and the stock back case sits flush like it came out of the box.

hope this helps some people out.:victory:
    let us know i am very interested

Ok guys heard back from LG. ATT is the only US carrier to support powermat. The reason LG could not implement qi charging on D850 is because ATT did not certify it. The D850 has a hardware component that communicates with the wireless charging receiver. Unfortunately the one in D850 is built for the powermat. In short guys, to enable qi on D850 you would likely need to change the hardware element within the phone itself.

Note from LG

In conclusion due to the fact that AT&T doesn’t support QI standard that is why LG didn’t certify it. That being said the other cases for Tmo, VZW, and SPR*does*support the QI standard. Unfortunately, due to the fact that AT&T G3 is missing the component that allows the QI charging you will be unable to purchase the case for the other carrier’s for this device.

Also attached you will find the Quick Circle Case Spec sheet which will give you a little bit more information about the case

if you ever need any more information or need assistance with your device please feel free to email me or call and ask for me

Sent from my LG-E988 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I can say for sure its not the pins. They line up perfectly. The auction does not say Qi anywhere in the description. I think this is PMA. I will know later as I am going to purchase a PMA at Walmart or Staples so I can test.