Help, every ROM I've tried just gets stuck in bootloop

Search This thread

alexbenh

Feb 12, 2013
Ok, Ive unlocked my bootloader, installed CWM, rooted my device and checked that it worked, and when I go to the boot loader and select recovery it takes me to CWM. Ive made backups from it and and they restore fine. I even installed a custom kernel and it worked because noFrills let me OC/choose a different governor. Yet from the three ROMs Ive tried so far, they install fine, no errors from CWM, but when I boot up it just gets stuck booting forever. Ive tried wiping everything, Ive tried wiping some things, heck I even tried wiping nothing but I still get the same issue. Id really like to try a new ROM now that I went through the trouble of voiding my warranty, so please try to help me. Thanks in advance, alexbenh

Last edited:

Guynan

May 24, 2013
Auckland
I know this seems obvious, but are the ROMs you are flashing specific for your device?

Sent from my ST18i using xda app-developers app

alexbenh

Feb 12, 2013
yes, I have the Moto G XT1034 and have flashed ROMs before on my old galaxy exhibit and never had any trouble with that

will8578

Apr 19, 2011
herne bay
Join the club, same here, done everything right but no custom rom joy for me

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
If you're flashing a kitkat ROM, make sure you're already running KitKat. If you're still on 4.3, then fastboot flash the stock 4.4.2 image first, then try custom roms

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

alexbenh

Feb 12, 2013
WOOOHOOO, I reinstalled the stock 4.4 firmware and everything, I couldnt root it with superboot so I just skipped the rooting step. Then I flashed CWM through the bootloader although I decided to take a risk and instead of "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", I did "mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img" just to see if it would change anything. Not sure if thats why it works for me now, but its worth a try. Good luck to the rest of you who have this problem.

alexbenh

Feb 12, 2013
If you're flashing a kitkat ROM, make sure you're already running KitKat. If you're still on 4.3, then fastboot flash the stock 4.4.2 image first, then try custom roms

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Yes, I was already running the stock 4.4 ROM the only differences was that I had a custom kernel which could possibly be an issue, but I wouldnt think so

grahamgo

Jan 11, 2013
huh, I had not tried using TWRP, but I thought CWM had a fix permissions command as well.

My experience. I tried CWM then loaded a Rom, the first one I tried being CM11 = Bootloop, Then I tried several other Rom's and always the same result, spinning on Bootloop

I then put the phone back to stock firmware 4.4.2 and tried TWRP version TWRP2630, no joy even the bootloader wouldn't work right.

Finally put the phone back to stock AGAIN (now getting frustrated!) and tried installing TWRP2631 using fastboot. That did the trick, now all ROM's load and run fine. This version of TWRP appears to be working well. Backup/restore works, and no problems at all.

Other's report CWM works well, but not for me unfortunately.