Why Subsidized Phones Are a Rip-Off

Search This thread

CreatioSoft

Feb 7, 2012
The big American telecos have always been pretty high up on my list of evil corporations, so I wasn't exactly surprised to hear that Verizon – perhaps the worst offender of them all – is making the consumer bear the brunt of another frivolous fee. From now on Verizon subscribers will have to pay a $30 fee every time they upgrade their phones. While we've all gotten used to carriers inventing bogus fees literally out of thin air, it is important to take a step back and understand exactly how Verizon, AT&T and the rest are shamelessly ripping us off with every monthly statement.

For years now, wireless providers have been luring consumers in with top-quality phones at reduced prices in exchange for a two-year commitment. You get to keep the phone, while the carrier has the pleasure of charging you a hefty monthly sum for the service. Seems like a fair enough deal, right? At least, that's what the carriers would like to have you believe. The reality, however, is much more sketchy and sneaky as is often the case with companies that have a quasi-monopoly over any given product or service.

If you actually sit down and do the math, you end up paying the carrier back way more than just the price of the phone. But that's not the story the carriers are selling to the media. In fact, based on the decrease in profits carriers are complaining about how much money they are losing on subsidized phones. So in an attempt to allegedly compensate for providing us with phones at subsidized prices, US carriers have systematically introduced a so-called “upgrade fee” on top of all the existing charges lurking underneath the surface of your cell phone bill.

What may look like a relatively small fee will actually bring Verizon an extra $1 billion a year in terms of profit. And now that they've jumped on the “upgrade fee” bandwagon consumers are left with no choice but to shake their fists at the telcos and shell out an extra $30.

And get this, according to Verizon, this new fee is meant to “help continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect”. If by that they mean that we've all become used to the fact that Verizon is one money-thirsty leech of a company with terrible customer service – then, yes, we agree.

As Americans we've become addicted to two-year contracts and subsidized phones, but my recommendation to you would be to use your Internet browsing skills and buy your Android phones at full price. Thankfully, there are plenty of good deals to be had on eBay and online discount stores. Don't let the Big Three bleed you to death with fees, fines and small print. Just keep one thing in mind: with these telecos it's always the consumer that gets the short end of the stick.

RovG

Jul 17, 2011
This is not only an issue in America but other parts of world too. I urge all consumers to band together & resist this kind of extortion. Vote with you money. Hurt evil monopolies where it will hurt them the most.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Milling around Milton Keynes
Have you no consumer protection lobbies in the US?

Over here for instance, I've got a HTC Sensation, free on O2 for £32 a month giving me 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB a month along with free access to BT Openzone and O2 wifi hot spots. I also get a discount on my home broadband.
It's a 24 month contract but I can change after 21 months as I'm a valued customer.
So in total it's going to cost me £672.
At the time the Sensation without contract was around the £450 mark from reputable retailers (not ebay where you have very little come back if something goes wrong), even now it's £350.
So the contract actually cost me £222 which is under £11 a month. Even at £350 for the handset it'd be £15 a month.

Now looking at O2's sim only contracts, the same would be £21.50 a month, so it's cheaper to get a free phone on contract.
Even running the whole 24 months it works out at less than £17.50 a month if you take the free phone. To break even you'd need to buy a Sensation for £252 which means second hand.

Having looked at prices on US provider's websites and complaints posted on here, you guys seriously need to get the industry regulated to protect consumers from being ripped off.

the_main_app

Sep 26, 2011
How is it a rip off if I was going to buy that smart phone anyway and use that carrier? If I pick all the options I want carrier with phone and they are willing to subsidize the phone how is that ripping me off? I'd be using that phone and that carrier anyway so why not take the subsidy?

Reactions: TJBunch1228
K

Killbynature

How is it a rip off if I was going to buy that smart phone anyway and use that carrier? If I pick all the options I want carrier with phone and they are willing to subsidize the phone how is that ripping me off? I'd be using that phone and that carrier anyway so why not take the subsidy?

Good example is tmobile Monthly 4g plan is $70.00 flats fee for unlimited everything talk and text and 5 gigs data. This plan is non contract can leave when you want and comes up to $1680.00 after two years.

Classic plan for tmobile for the same features are 59.99 for talk and text. 35.00 dollars for 5 gig data. $94.99 let's add taxes and fees after. Which is around 11.00 extra which brings you to $105.99 note this is without $8.00 insurance added on. Two years on this plan is $ 2543.76.

Tmobile value plan is for the same features are $74.99 with taxes its $85.99 a month. Again without the insurance. You bring your phone and your also locked in a contract. You get no subsidize phones on this plan. Two years this plan is $2063.76

Classic vs value you save $480 dollars on value plan.

Classic vs monthly 4g you save $863.76. On the monthly 4g non contract plan

Value plan vs monthly 4g you save. $383.76 on the monthly 4g.

When you are on contract you wind up paying more for the phone then what's its worth on the contract. As you can see the savings alone can easily let you buy a phone off contract.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

I Am Marino

Mar 13, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Regardless of the phone cost, you're still shelling out decent amounts of money for your cell service, if you want to be up in arms, do it about your monthly bill costs.

gambit333

Apr 15, 2012
It's all about cash flow to be honest. I bought my phone outright thinking it would be cheaper but if you want data then you end up paying over £20 in any case and if think about it only saves you around 30-50, for paying £500 upfront...

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Good example is tmobile Monthly 4g plan is $70.00 flats fee for unlimited everything talk and text and 5 gigs data. This plan is non contract can leave when you want and comes up to $1680.00 after two years.

Classic plan for tmobile for the same features are 59.99 for talk and text. 35.00 dollars for 5 gig data. $94.99 let's add taxes and fees after. Which is around 11.00 extra which brings you to $105.99 note this is without $8.00 insurance added on. Two years on this plan is $ 2543.76.

Tmobile value plan is for the same features are $74.99 with taxes its $85.99 a month. Again without the insurance. You bring your phone and your also locked in a contract. You get no subsidize phones on this plan. Two years this plan is $2063.76

Classic vs value you save $480 dollars on value plan.

Classic vs monthly 4g you save $863.76. On the monthly 4g non contract plan

Value plan vs monthly 4g you save. $383.76 on the monthly 4g.

When you are on contract you wind up paying more for the phone then what's its worth on the contract. As you can see the savings alone can easily let you buy a phone off contract.

Crikey those tariffs are steep!
Would I be right in thinking that the phones offered on the tariff are not free but only subsidised? So you're still forking out $150-250 for a handset?

shardnet

Mar 31, 2012
ACtually it's not the subsidised phone that's a ripoff but the plan itself.

Keep in mind that the price of the plan is the same regardless of you getting a new phone with or not. There's no cheaper plan options for people opting out of the phone. Or any kind of saving.

The phone itself is basically an added benefit to you the user. Compare about the atrocious data and smd plans instead.

Reactions: austin420

Reikyrr

Mar 30, 2012
I got my samsung gio with a vodafone prepaid card + 5 Euro free to use prepaid money, the whole package cost me 112 Euros while in my country the cheapest GIO without a simlock (mine is simlocked) costs around 155 Euros.

I pay 30ct per MB though if I purchase a one month internet bundle via my prepaid money I pay 7ct per MB. I can also buy MB's that are usable for a day which will cost me 10ct per MB. Though the amount of MB's you buy are locked, I am pretty happy with my prepaid phone.

I also agree you should refrain from sticking to multi year contracts, who knows what happens in two years, or even one year.

K

Killbynature

Crikey those tariffs are steep!
Would I be right in thinking that the phones offered on the tariff are not free but only subsidised? So you're still forking out $150-250 for a handset?

Yeah pretty much you can buy a phone from any other place cheaper. I don't know where you live but a free phone in the USA. Isn't free. You have upgrade $30 or $18 just to update. Staying off contract would still be cheaper and you can just sell your old phone and the savings alone would make it cheaper. Another benefit is that you aren't worrying about your carrier for updates. Buy the original phone and it will be updated better than a carrier branded version of the phone.

adelmundo

Oct 10, 2010
San Ramon, CA

Keep in mind that the price of the plan is the same regardless of you getting a new phone with or not. There's no cheaper plan options for people opting out of the phone. Or any kind of saving.

The phone itself is basically an added benefit to you the user. Compare about the atrocious data and smd plans instead.

Actually in most cases, the big carriers do charge you the same price on the plan regardless of whether you bought the phone subsidized or not. But they are not the only companies you can get a plan with. You can always go the prepaid route and you can get the same mobile and data service as the big carriers as many of the prepaid plans are MVNOs. F0or example I bought an International Galaxy Note recently and put it on Straight Talk's Unlimited Everything plan for $45/month. Over 2 years it will cost me $1080. Add in the cost of the phone, I will have paid $1665 over 2 years. Buy the phone from AT&T for $250 and $100/month on service ($40 for voice, $20 Text unlimited, $30 for 3GB data, and taxes), $2650 total over 2 years. I would have saved almost $1000 over the 2 years AND not tied to a contract.

K

Killbynature

Like I said it's different in the USA. Our plans pretty much make us pay for the full price + extra. All phones have a 1 year warranty. Even then using tmobile insurance it will cost you an extra $120 every two years. They also charge you a fee for delivering a replacement now. I think it's $5 om insurance and 20 dollars without.

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
I fail to see the point. Yes Verizon is spendy but they are the best. But if you want a cheaper phone and plan there are options. I pay $25 bucks a month for my virgin mobile plan and I paid $240 for my epic touch that I modded to run on virgin mobile USA. I will probably keep this plan for as long as I can. If I need to use more minutes that's what internet calling is for. It may not be as dependable as Verizon or at&t but it gets the job done.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

xaccers

Jul 21, 2009
Yeah pretty much you can buy a phone from any other place cheaper. I don't know where you live but a free phone in the USA. Isn't free. You have upgrade $30 or $18 just to update. Staying off contract would still be cheaper and you can just sell your old phone and the savings alone would make it cheaper. Another benefit is that you aren't worrying about your carrier for updates. Buy the original phone and it will be updated better than a carrier branded version of the phone.

Over here in the UK, phones are generally what is used by providers to snag customers.
So people pick the phone they want then search the providers for the best deal offering that phone, either for free (normally a higher monthly cost) or at a reduced price.
We also have various organisations keeping charges low.

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
I personally feel the opposite of the OP. How exactly is a subsidized phone a ripoff? The PLAN is going to be the same whether you bring your own phone or get one from the carrier. If you know you aren't going to be sticking around for 2 years then buying your phone outright might be the way to go. Otherwise I'd say save some money.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The big American telecos have always been pretty high up on my list of evil corporations, so I wasn't exactly surprised to hear that Verizon – perhaps the worst offender of them all – is making the consumer bear the brunt of another frivolous fee. From now on Verizon subscribers will have to pay a $30 fee every time they upgrade their phones. While we've all gotten used to carriers inventing bogus fees literally out of thin air, it is important to take a step back and understand exactly how Verizon, AT&T and the rest are shamelessly ripping us off with every monthly statement.

For years now, wireless providers have been luring consumers in with top-quality phones at reduced prices in exchange for a two-year commitment. You get to keep the phone, while the carrier has the pleasure of charging you a hefty monthly sum for the service. Seems like a fair enough deal, right? At least, that's what the carriers would like to have you believe. The reality, however, is much more sketchy and sneaky as is often the case with companies that have a quasi-monopoly over any given product or service.

If you actually sit down and do the math, you end up paying the carrier back way more than just the price of the phone. But that's not the story the carriers are selling to the media. In fact, based on the decrease in profits carriers are complaining about how much money they are losing on subsidized phones. So in an attempt to allegedly compensate for providing us with phones at subsidized prices, US carriers have systematically introduced a so-called “upgrade fee” on top of all the existing charges lurking underneath the surface of your cell phone bill.

What may look like a relatively small fee will actually bring Verizon an extra $1 billion a year in terms of profit. And now that they've jumped on the “upgrade fee” bandwagon consumers are left with no choice but to shake their fists at the telcos and shell out an extra $30.

And get this, according to Verizon, this new fee is meant to “help continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect”. If by that they mean that we've all become used to the fact that Verizon is one money-thirsty leech of a company with terrible customer service – then, yes, we agree.

As Americans we've become addicted to two-year contracts and subsidized phones, but my recommendation to you would be to use your Internet browsing skills and buy your Android phones at full price. Thankfully, there are plenty of good deals to be had on eBay and online discount stores. Don't let the Big Three bleed you to death with fees, fines and small print. Just keep one thing in mind: with these telecos it's always the consumer that gets the short end of the stick.
    You guys still have it better with 2 year plans, and we are stuck in "3rd world " like stage with 3 year contracts.... :mad:

Having looked at prices on US provider's websites and complaints posted on here, you guys seriously need to get the industry regulated to protect consumers from being ripped off.

That's basically the worst idea ever.

It's the fact that the industry -- and, most importantly, spectra -- are regulated in the first place that lets the big players exert this kind of monopoly control.