Safe way to shutdown/power down Fire TV?

Search This thread

billsam38

Feb 7, 2011
I used to turn off power for any unused devices, even it takes only few watt. There is no menu to shutdown and turn off fire TV before I cut its power. I'm wondering whether it is safe to cut its power at any time. Or it's not necessary to have a menu selection to shutdown system? Thanks.

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
I used to turn off power for any unused devices, even it takes only few watt. There is no menu to shutdown and turn off fire TV before I cut its power. I'm wondering whether it is safe to cut its power at any time. Or it's not necessary to have a menu selection to shutdown system? Thanks.

It should be safe to just unplug, but if you use it often eventually it could cause a problem either in the firmware or the the connection itself. A simple solution would be something like a Woods wireless remote outlet. The one I have comes with 3 plugs and a remote with a switch for each. The plug can take a bit of room on the surge protector but so does the FTV power cord. I just press and hold the select and play buttons on the FTV remote for about 5 seconds and when the screen goes black I hit the power button for the outlet.

mattngsx

Jan 30, 2007

Get a Microsoft remote (MCE Remote). The power button on the MCE remote will put the firetv back to sleep. When you hit the power button again it turns back on, or hitting any button on the firetv remote.

I actually prefer the MCE remote because it offers more function when using XBMC and VIMU. I can actually time skip vs ffwd, hit stop, etc... Only complaint is there is no home button. The microsuck button does not take me home, and I have not figured out how to program it on the MCE remote.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Get a Microsoft remote (MCE Remote). The power button on the MCE remote will put the firetv back to sleep. When you hit the power button again it turns back on, or hitting any button on the firetv remote.

I actually prefer the MCE remote because it offers more function when using XBMC and VIMU. I can actually time skip vs ffwd, hit stop, etc... Only complaint is there is no home button. The microsuck button does not take me home, and I have not figured out how to program it on the MCE remote.

As i've stated in another thread, "sleep" on this is pretty much the same as sleep on a regular android device. It's still fully awake, although the CPU might be downclocked a little.

As for home, you need F12 to get home.

mattngsx

Jan 30, 2007
As i've stated in another thread, "sleep" on this is pretty much the same as sleep on a regular android device. It's still fully awake, although the CPU might be downclocked a little.

As for home, you need F12 to get home.

I love low watt setups, so I know the mind set for the OP. It would have been nice to be able power off the device! I was told that lab126 felt the footprint was small enough in standby that it wasn't needed. They also wanted to be able to update when not in use, etc...

You could hook it up the ftv to a power strip. I've seen power strips that have one active outlet and shuts off the rest of the outlets when the primary device is not used. That could be another option?

Rbox- Do you know where the MCE remote values are stored in the FIreTV. I want to see if I can modify so the windows button is f12.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Rbox- Do you know where the MCE remote values are stored in the FIreTV. I want to see if I can modify so the windows button is f12.

Since it shows up as a regular HID keyboard I don't think it has a keylayout file. What I do know, is that the kernel could probably do it. The HID layer has a quirks system that allows you do to funky stuff for individual HID devices. Do you know the usb vendor and device id for the remote? I can take a look at the quirks stuff tonight and see if we can do anything. It might have to wait until custom kernels can be loaded though.

Reactions: mattngsx

mattngsx

Jan 30, 2007
Since it shows up as a regular HID keyboard I don't think it has a keylayout file. What I do know, is that the kernel could probably do it. The HID layer has a quirks system that allows you do to funky stuff for individual HID devices. Do you know the usb vendor and device id for the remote? I can take a look at the quirks stuff tonight and see if we can do anything. It might have to wait until custom kernels can be loaded though.

I'm at work but I can pull the HID/Device info when i get home tonight. I will PM you the info, so we're not clogging the OP's thread.

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
It takes 3 to 4 watts to stream a movie - measured on a Kill a Watt meter. I forgot what the reading was on sleep mode but its not much. The max watts I've seen was 5 watts and that's while installing an app.

Last edited:

KillerJoeBR

Dec 27, 2013

Which MCE remote do you use? I have one from philips but it doesnt work with my ftv.

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

minmao

Jun 28, 2013
I just got my fire TV, rooted and installed a few apps including the firedtv.
I left it over night and realized it never went into sleep (the front led was on). I was able to put into sleep using a keyboard, but I don't want to keep the keyboard near my fire tv all the time.
Do you guys know what is wrong?

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
I just got my fire TV, rooted and installed a few apps including the firedtv.
I left it over night and realized it never went into sleep (the front led was on). I was able to put into sleep using a keyboard, but I don't want to keep the keyboard near my fire tv all the time.
Do you guys know what is wrong?

Try rebooting your box and without loading any external apps, see if it goes to sleep after a certain time. My guest is that an app is still running in the background preventing sleep mode.

When I first installed XBMC that happened too. I found out that XBMC was still running in the background because I didn't properly exit the app. Clicking the home button on the remote just leaves XBMC running in the background. Exit by pressing XBMC power off button and setting the system power saving timer to shut down at a interval during idle works.

Shinyhead

Jun 18, 2010
Fullerton
Try rebooting your box and without loading any external apps, see if it goes to sleep after a certain time. My guest is that an app is still running in the background preventing sleep mode.

When I first installed XBMC that happened too. I found out that XBMC was still running in the background because I didn't properly exit the app. Clicking the home button on the remote just leaves XBMC running in the background. Exit by pressing XBMC power off button and setting the system power saving timer to shut down at a interval during idle works.

You can also set the power off setting in xbmc to exit after some idle time value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.