ICS Thoughts

Search This thread

changkho1908

Dec 21, 2011
Brisbane
ROM ICS VENUE FOR TEST DOWNLOAD FLASH VIA RECOVERY .

Above is evervolv ICS passion build WITHOUT 3D HARDWARE ACCELERATIONS , intention to make sure that ICS Bases Build for Passion is bootable ... into DV, kernel build based on 406, or Kibuuka or DSC Team : Results are similar ..... Touch Screen NOT WORKING at all .

I have been looking for correct patch or method how to enable 3d Hardware Accelaration in either 406 source tree or Kibuuka Tree, since Kibuuka source is working at DS5/7 ICS Base ... His source should be capable to boot at ICS DV, since when flashed into 3D hardware acceleations ICS ROM, kernel locked and KGSL ioctl locked. :(
touch screen not working :( only hard buttons working :(

kakagi

Apr 24, 2011
Kolkata
Motorola Edge 30

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
May this help ...
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/android-porting/Rmvqi8fPYCg

Sent from my Dell Venue using xda premium

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
This may help to control the ph via pc without touchscreen.

Fps is slow so have patience.

Thanks for pointing ... but in DV case we need to PATCH 406 kernel with KGSL Adreno Drivers. I got tiamat patch file however this patch file is include Overclocking, Under/Overvolting ... etc , other problem, ref to 2.6.35.7 version of 406 kernel have been 7 times patched and No explanation from dell what kind "patch" they have been aplied. tytung patch is for 2.6.32 kernel ... this is very hard works since we must "merge" 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 tree > then patch with adreno 200 drivers > then (again) get rid with Kconfig and Makefile to have "vanilla" kernel for DV with 3dhw accel capable. Further challange to know the pagesize of mem in DV device.

Kibuuka probably can explain here what kinds of patch he applied in his sources 2.6.35-14 ... and kibuuka kernel source is definitely for DS thus using 406 is best for DV.

some probably willing to test to patch 406 with tiamat.patch attachaed here is the small guide
Code:
download clean 406 kernel source tarbal
unpack the tarbal > cd to unpacked folder
copy tytung.patc to unpacked folder
[b]
patch -p0 > tytung.patch
[/b]
if they ask to REVERSE (-R) answer YES (y)
usually by default the answer is NO (n)
due to this is downgrading ...
once I have time I will do patching
Note
Please do "hunting" in the google, adreno 200 patch file for 2.6 kernel and share here the patch file ... to let other user try this dirty works :D

Attachments

• tiamat.patch
    220.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

kakagi

Apr 24, 2011
Kolkata
Motorola Edge 30
I did a quick search and found this thread in xda. Its a thread of htc hd2 kernel.
They have patch take a look if it helps. The sources are at github.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1322639

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I will search later with my desktop...

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
I did a quick search and found this thread in xda. Its a thread of htc hd2 kernel.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Kakagi, you are so eager and enthusiastic on this device ... really great to know :D ... I personally happy with CM7 ... I just bought Desire V 2 sim cards gsm gsm running ICS with kernel 3 this is my first device running ICS by default. but my feeling DV is still more elegant in design, very simple device. corning goriila glass make this device very strong.

Tytung implementation is more complicated , I saw "securecrt" at github having simpler implementation for adreno 200 and 220 only in which tytung, I think cover adreno 3xx and 2xx .. one or more dv user probably can ask tytung to patch 406 source with his patch .... LOL or at least borrow his patch file. I have been long time did not deal with patching kernel source code. To write our own code ... I have no idea DV HW details. It is probably available at internet. This must be not so heavy since we need to patch one driver only gpu

I did some little work on this, but still no lucks in building :( :(
this is my error
Code:
CC      drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.o
In file included from drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:18:
drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl.h:41:26: error: linux/atomic.h: No such file or directory
In file included from drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl_device.h:36,
                 from drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl.h:43,
                 from drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:18:
drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl_pwrctrl.h:54: error: 'KGSL_MAX_PWRLEVELS' undeclared here (not in a function)
drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c: In function 'adreno_ringbuffer_extract':
drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:843: error: 'struct kgsl_devmemstore' has no member named 'current_context'
drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:857: error: 'struct kgsl_devmemstore' has no member named 'current_context'
make[3]: *** [drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/gpu/msm] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/gpu] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
I just realize, since I clean download 406 from dell, the source intended to build in ROM I have to manage including my folder tree in PC BOX .... OMG a lot or work. My old 406 source is messy since I have cleaned some warning. Let us do together ... to have DV running ICS/CM9

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Kibuuka: have you made any changes to the touchscreen controller drivers?
I've never had the time to diff S5/405 V/406 against phoenix/ics.

If there were changes, that's likely why TS isnt working, as the S5 uses a different TS controller.
The V and S7 use an Atmel mxt224, and supports 5-10 touchpoints in hardware, the S7's TS driver is badly mangled so dont bother using it as a source.
The mxt224 is a common controller otherwise, you can likely merge in a working one from a different similar device.

I wonder if the V's TS driver has been modified from the original, you can easily reenable all the points with 1-2 lines of change on other devices.

kibuuka

Jan 1, 2011
Kibuuka: have you made any changes to the touchscreen controller drivers?
I've never had the time to diff S5/405 V/406 against phoenix/ics.

If there were changes, that's likely why TS isnt working, as the S5 uses a different TS controller.
The V and S7 use an Atmel mxt224, and supports 5-10 touchpoints in hardware, the S7's TS driver is badly mangled so dont bother using it as a source.
The mxt224 is a common controller otherwise, you can likely merge in a working one from a different similar device.

I wonder if the V's TS driver has been modified from the original, you can easily reenable all the points with 1-2 lines of change on other devices.

lemme recall. only changes that were done:

#1 hPa's patches for touchscreen (unsure if these apply to 5" part of aou touchscreen driver only - check #ifdefs and add similar patches to 4" related part of code if needed)

#2 cm9 patches related to legacy touchscreens support - aosp lacks these

#3 (optional for venue as it's touchscreen ain't physically flipped afaik, also it was substituted by later version of hPa's code, still in my source tree, inactive) changes to screen orientation part of aosp code - these are trivial and not needed on venue

adridu59

May 15, 2011
Paris, France
www.twitter.com
Code:
$ fastboot erase system
$ fastboot erase boot
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot flash boot boot-1.img

I have never used the erase commands, I think they are not mandatory.

I have been looking for correct patch or method how to enable 3d Hardware Accelaration in either 406 source tree or Kibuuka Tree, since Kibuuka source is working at DS5/7 ICS Base ... His source should be capable to boot at ICS DV, since when flashed into 3D hardware acceleations ICS ROM, kernel locked and KGSL ioctl locked. :(

Kernel needs some mods, I will look at it ASAP.

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
@x1123 Just commited the Makefile fix, I had forgotten..

Okay let me check ... did you put adreno200 device drivers in the source tree ?

Edit
Just checked you put adreno devices drivers in the source three .. I forked and will build and report the result

... Boot Loop :D attached logcat ... I will rebuild tonight

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
I have downloaded adridu kernel source tree for DV and saw proper genlock and adreno2xx added in the tree ... kernel build went flawlessly. I have 4 ICS Rom my own build : 1. Based on Bravo, 2. Based on Passion for blackrose bootloader, 3. Based on Passion based on stock htc bootloader, 4. ICS Aosp Generic <for emulation> . With the proper kernel, generic rom usually booting in a real device .. sure without base band functionality, mean we can not calling as a phone.

adridu kernel source is what I expected with proper adreno2xxx gpu drivers and genlock available, buidling went very good with adreno libs built without warning or error. However the symptom in booting in DV exactly similar with 406 kernel source :( :( :( ... this is really frustating. I test with Leo device all four rom build booting properly :D .... whats wrong with this DV .... The only rom booting in DV is one without touchscreen functionality (built without gralloc libs ) ................. wazzahhhhhh

changkho1908

Dec 21, 2011
Brisbane
join us on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/386664754742736/
92323558191383aac570dccc30c5f75b_50550802.untitled2.jpg

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
I have spent week end to check and test adridu kernel source. The source in my opinion should be okay, with adreno200 drivers in the source tree. However the [colore=red] FUNNY [/color] thing, No singgle ICS Based ROM either for Bravo, passion and Xperia 10 booting with the kernel, symptoms are similar gralloc.qsd8k.so problems this is essential adreno200 libs.

I did test the kernel by downloading various GB Rom for : Nexus One, Bravo Devise and Experia 10 all GB ROM booting flawlessly ... so many good ROM in xperia 10 and passion thread on GB base. DV user can download, flash adridu build kernel + wifi module and DV baseband. I believed DV will be good for daily device.

But our goal is booting ICS on DV ... I believed we are closer than last week ..... :D adridu kernel source is the closest source available today to boot ICS on DV ... I need to go deeper and probably check line by line the toucan-qsd8k file in the board folder source and see what's wrong with the build. ROM IS NOT THE ISSUE AT ALL.

Attachments

• 01-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    01-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 02-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    02-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 03-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    03-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 04-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    04-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 05-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    05-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 06-a-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    06-a-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 06-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    06-xperia-x10-gb.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 07-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    07-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 08-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    08-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 09-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    09-oxygen-N1-gb.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 62

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
@x1123 I tried to raise MSM_FB_SIZE as in Austin board file, can you try to recompile the kernel with it ? Thanks.

SORRY ...can you give me more details instructions ... what do you mean ...???

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

@x1123 I tried to raise MSM_FB_SIZE as in Austin board file, can you try to recompile the kernel with it ? Thanks.

armmake austin-perf_defconfig
armmake prepare
time armmake

Code:
In file included from kernel/sched.c:2:
kernel/sched_bfs.c:527: error: conflicting types for 'grunqueue_is_locked'
include/linux/sched.h:1535: note: previous declaration of 'grunqueue_is_locked' was here
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

adridu59

May 15, 2011
Paris, France
www.twitter.com
SORRY ...can you give me more details instructions ... what do you mean ...???

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

armmake austin-perf_defconfig
armmake prepare
time armmake

Code:
In file included from kernel/sched.c:2:
kernel/sched_bfs.c:527: error: conflicting types for 'grunqueue_is_locked'
include/linux/sched.h:1535: note: previous declaration of 'grunqueue_is_locked' was here
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

No I wasn't asking you to build for Austin board, just cherry-picking the new commit (ebb56c3bb998a19497d09622cd96e711dd130768) and rebuilding toucan like before. :good:

Reactions: changkho1908

x1123

Mar 27, 2011
Pekalongan
semayi.blogspot.com
No I wasn't asking you to build for Austin board, just cherry-picking the new commit (ebb56c3bb998a19497d09622cd96e711dd130768) and rebuilding toucan like before. :good:

picked up and built

Code:
I/sysproc (  959): Entered system_init()
I/sysproc (  959): ServiceManager: 0x13afe0
I/SurfaceFlinger(  959): SurfaceFlinger is starting
I/SurfaceFlinger(  959): SurfaceFlinger's main thread ready to run. Initializing graphics H/W...
W/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO failed, page flipping not supported
W/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): page flipping not supported (yres_virtual=802, requested=1600)
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): using (fd=33)
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): id           = msmfb31_30001
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): xres         = 480 px
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): yres         = 800 px
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): xres_virtual = 480 px
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): yres_virtual = 1600 px
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): bpp          = 16
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): r            = 11:5
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): g            =  5:6
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): b            =  0:5
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): width        = 76 mm (160.421051 dpi)
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): height       = 127 mm (160.000000 dpi)
I/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): refresh rate = 0.00 Hz
D/CALCFPS (  959): DEBUG_CALC_FPS: 0
D/CALCFPS (  959): period: 10
D/CALCFPS (  959): ignorethresh_us: 500000
D/CALCFPS (  959): DEBUG_CALC_FPS: 0
D/CALCFPS (  959): period: 10
D/CALCFPS (  959): ignorethresh_us: 500000
E/qsd8k.gralloc(  959): Error mapping the framebuffer (Invalid argument)
E/FramebufferNativeWindow(  959): couldn't open framebuffer HAL (Invalid argument)
E/SurfaceFlinger(  959): Display subsystem failed to initialize. check logs. exiting...

looklike the gralloc.qsd8k ok with evervolv cm9 passion base rom ... device facing bootloop :(

code at BoardConfigCommon.mk for qsd8k
Code:
# Hardware rendering
BOARD_EGL_CFG := device/htc/qsd8k-common/egl.cfg
USE_OPENGL_RENDERER := true
# We only have 2 buffers
COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DMISSING_GRALLOC_BUFFERS
# Debuging egl
#COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DEGL_TRACE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You should not use device tree from other phones... either use overlay from DSC Team Streak or build one yourself from Dell Venue BoardConfig.

Adridu, thanks for advise. However the MAIN different on device specific is very little, let say passion source tree having qsd8k-common which is definitely including DV .... :D ... Im not really developer. My understanding not so advance ... LOL I flashed again with Xperia 10 ROM which is ported from desire base. Again the room booting nicely but face dead touchscreen I replaced /system/lib/hw/FILES with ds5 cm9 rom... I believed, problem is in RAMDISK I'm familiar building ramdisk for x86 (my PC) but no idea for this DV ...
    This is init scripts for PC
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

#Mount things needed by this script
    mount -t proc proc /proc
    mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

#Disable kernel messages from popping onto the screen
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

#Clear the screen
    clear

#Create all the symlinks to /bin/busybox
    busybox --install -s

#Create device nodes
    mknod /dev/null c 1 3
    mknod /dev/tty c 5 0
    mdev -s

#Function for parsing command line options with "=" in them
    # get_opt("init=/sbin/init") will return "/sbin/init"
    get_opt() {
    	echo "$@" | cut -d "=" -f 2
    }

#Defaults
    init="/sbin/init"
    root="/dev/hda1"

#Process command line options
    for i in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
    	case $i in
    		root\=*)
    			root=$(get_opt $i)
    			;;
    		init\=*)
    			init=$(get_opt $i)
    			;;
    	esac
    done

#Mount the root device
    mount "${root}" /newroot

#Check if $init exists and is executable
    if [[ -x "/newroot/${init}" ]] ; then
    	#Unmount all other mounts so that the ram used by
    	#the initramfs can be cleared after switch_root
    	umount /sys /proc

#Switch to the new root and execute init
    	exec switch_root /newroot "${init}"
    fi

#This will only be run if the exec above failed
    echo "Failed to switch_root, dropping to a shell"
    exec sh
    when fail ... kernel will send us into shell and we can do many thing. But at the piece of smartphone ... dropped to shell is nothing can do :D ... guide me.

attached DV booting xperia x10 ics rom with dead screen
    Downlod : isc-venue-passion-base

How to flash
    - download above links
    - extract somewhere in your path/folder
    - turn your DV into fastboot mode
    - connect to PC with adb / fastboot alive
    - Flash

Code:
    $ fastboot erase system
    $ fastboot erase boot
    $ fastboot flash system system.img
    $ fastboot flash boot boot-1.img

very unsable ... very early dev, for fun and dev only at least we have a CLUE how to boot ICS on DV and the chance is somewhere out there ... :)
    TESTING ROM : DOWNLOAD : CM9-UNOFFICIAL-STREAK4VENUE

Flash via recovery as usual, wipe data cache if you wish .... touchscreen is not well function, but there is WHITE DOT if you touch the screen. white dot will follow your finger if you shift among screen put white dot on LOCK icon and touch. It will release you from the lock. Do setting by touching setting key, the middle one below the screen and bring the dot to setting ... and start your setting suggest disable lock screen for playing ... to solve this problem my suspect is RAMDISK file either init.rc, init.venue.rc or uevent.rc ... but I do not know which one should be changed.

flash do do logcat, post your own suspect here it's probably a clue to solve this problems ..... HAVE NICE PLAYING

Kakagi, you are so eager and enthusiastic on this device ... really great to know :D ... I personally happy with CM7 ... I just bought Desire V 2 sim cards gsm gsm running ICS with kernel 3 this is my first device running ICS by default. but my feeling DV is still more elegant in design, very simple device. corning goriila glass make this device very strong.

Tytung implementation is more complicated , I saw "securecrt" at github having simpler implementation for adreno 200 and 220 only in which tytung, I think cover adreno 3xx and 2xx .. one or more dv user probably can ask tytung to patch 406 source with his patch .... LOL or at least borrow his patch file. I have been long time did not deal with patching kernel source code. To write our own code ... I have no idea DV HW details. It is probably available at internet. This must be not so heavy since we need to patch one driver only gpu

I did some little work on this, but still no lucks in building :( :(
    this is my error
    Code:
    CC      drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.o
    In file included from drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:18:
    drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl.h:41:26: error: linux/atomic.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl_device.h:36,
                     from drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl.h:43,
                     from drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:18:
    drivers/gpu/msm/kgsl_pwrctrl.h:54: error: 'KGSL_MAX_PWRLEVELS' undeclared here (not in a function)
    drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c: In function 'adreno_ringbuffer_extract':
    drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:843: error: 'struct kgsl_devmemstore' has no member named 'current_context'
    drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.c:857: error: 'struct kgsl_devmemstore' has no member named 'current_context'
    make[3]: *** [drivers/gpu/msm/adreno_ringbuffer.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [drivers/gpu/msm] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [drivers/gpu] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2
    I just realize, since I clean download 406 from dell, the source intended to build in ROM I have to manage including my folder tree in PC BOX .... OMG a lot or work. My old 406 source is messy since I have cleaned some warning. Let us do together ... to have DV running ICS/CM9
    Gr8 news :) kindly not having pc connection will test it later after, could u plz reupload the file :)

ROM ICS VENUE FOR TEST DOWNLOAD FLASH VIA RECOVERY .

Above is evervolv ICS passion build WITHOUT 3D HARDWARE ACCELERATIONS , intention to make sure that ICS Bases Build for Passion is bootable ... into DV, kernel build based on 406, or Kibuuka or DSC Team : Results are similar ..... Touch Screen NOT WORKING at all .