Power supply death

Search This thread

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
I'm no engineer but aren't there safeguards built into a charger/battery that is operating normally? ie: put TF on charger overnight, battery draws power till full then stops charging?

A well designed adapter should have both thermal and electrical fuses, but in cheapness manufacturers usually go with just whatever the electrical code requires.

As for the battery, LiIon cells require a lot of monitoring during charging to keep them in good shape and from overheating. So there's a chip in lithium powered gadgets that monitors input voltage, temperature, and charge current and regulates the charge. There should be an additional chip or module taped to the cell that keeps the battery from going up in flames if there's a short or it overheats.

crater

Feb 16, 2009
This may sound crazy but hear me out. I have an EEE PC 1005HA netbook. I had situation once where i moved it and noticed it wasn't charging. Then it died and still wouldn't charge. I was upset because it was new and I talked to a friend who mine who is an electrical engineer. He said they likely used some cheap parts in the charger as many companies do for mass volume items.

He suggested i take the charging cable, power brick, and put them in the freezer for an hour. Then take them out, give them about 10 minutes to heat back to room temperature and try again. Sure enough, my EEE Pc charger worked fine after that procedure. I also had several friends with netbook who had issues and i had them try the same thing, after they gave me an insane look for telling them to put the power cable and power brick into their freezer, and they all worked. I'm still using the same cable/power brick that this issue happened with on my eee PC netbook, I have freezered it twice since owning it, but it works great for several months in between.

Since these are both ASUS products I don't think its too far of a leap to think they use the same parts where they can to cut costs, so this freezer method may be worth trying for you.

D_Czap

May 17, 2011
Portland
My power adapter also died. Kind of cheap. I found a replacement online. Its a dynex ultimate charger dx-ua. It can charge at 11 volts/ 1.5 amps. Works great. Asus wanted me to send the whole tablet backto get a new charger and said it would take a few weeks depending on inventory. Lol

Da02uk

May 6, 2011
Has anyone thought of trying an iPad charger? It seems they will put out 2 amps over the 5 volts? Not that I know anything about it but it may be quicker than a standard 0.8 amps?

skchan2

Apr 25, 2011
Has anyone thought of trying an iPad charger? It seems they will put out 2 amps over the 5 volts? Not that I know anything about it but it may be quicker than a standard 0.8 amps?

ipad charger outputs 5v 2.1a....not enough to charge the transformer...but still faster than through regular USB...

the transformer needs 15v 1.2a...

bbilko

Jun 9, 2008
My power adapter also died. Kind of cheap. I found a replacement online. Its a dynex ultimate charger dx-ua. It can charge at 11 volts/ 1.5 amps. Works great. Asus wanted me to send the whole tablet backto get a new charger and said it would take a few weeks depending on inventory. Lol

Any chance of a link to this? I'd be interested in a spare charger

D_Czap

May 17, 2011
Portland
Any chance of a link to this? I'd be interested in a spare charger

I haven't posted enough here to put outside links on my posts. go to bestbuy online and type in Dynex Universal AC/DC Charger for Cameras and Camcorders. it works great

here is a pic of my melted charger also. lol

Attachments

• SAM_0102.jpg
    SAM_0102.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 278

rkn5555

Mar 6, 2008
failed charger too

2 weeks ago had problems getting it to charge. Then all fine since then but today no luck. I called asus and now they are sending out a new one

greeny2010

Dec 21, 2010
BPJ
Just received my TF and dock. There is no light on the dock when I switch to charge. Is this the faulty charger?

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
My charger also stopped working and I fixed it by removing the country adapter and pushing the pins out away from the psu by 1-2mm. The country
Adapter was harder to put back on but its working now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: s_life

s_life

Nov 24, 2008
Regina
My charger also stopped working and I fixed it by removing the country adapter and pushing the pins out away from the psu by 1-2mm. The country

The same worked for me just now. Here is hoping it won't quit again tomorrow or next week.

DevCake

Mar 3, 2008
For those of you without a charger check link in my signature for my DIY charger thread. Easy and cheap.

Bob Smith42

Jun 7, 2011
For those of you without a charger check link in my signature for my DIY charger thread. Easy and cheap.

Exactly.

I ordered two off ebay for $6USD each including shipping. One had a bad usb tip, but everything else works. Even if I burn one out I have a second charger. But, I wanted two, e.g. one for work, so I ordered another two for $7USD each, playing the odds. ;)

Just search google for "dx-ua universal". These are great!

Thanks.

====
UPDATE:

Here are replacements on ebay: ASUS Transformer TF101 AC Adapter

Last edited:

lkbfreak

Apr 2, 2007
Rijeka
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
Today I experienced my ac adapter would not charge TF nor my HTC Inc S - I put the charger in a plastic bag, freeze it for a half an hour, left it obtain room temperature and... it started charging again! As I read on other threads, there might be a problem with a bimetal fuse which after being overheated does not returns in normal state. Freezing the charger makes that bimetal fuse to shrink thus returning it to functional state. :p

Thanx to all the forum users sharing their knowledge and experiences - you are most helpful!!!

This may sound crazy but hear me out. I have an EEE PC 1005HA netbook. I had situation once where i moved it and noticed it wasn't charging. Then it died and still wouldn't charge. I was upset because it was new and I talked to a friend who mine who is an electrical engineer. He said they likely used some cheap parts in the charger as many companies do for mass volume items.

He suggested i take the charging cable, power brick, and put them in the freezer for an hour. Then take them out, give them about 10 minutes to heat back to room temperature and try again. Sure enough, my EEE Pc charger worked fine after that procedure. I also had several friends with netbook who had issues and i had them try the same thing, after they gave me an insane look for telling them to put the power cable and power brick into their freezer, and they all worked. I'm still using the same cable/power brick that this issue happened with on my eee PC netbook, I have freezered it twice since owning it, but it works great for several months in between.

Since these are both ASUS products I don't think its too far of a leap to think they use the same parts where they can to cut costs, so this freezer method may be worth trying for you.

skacore

Dec 26, 2010
For the second time I'm putting my charger on freezer lets see how it would turn (not to confident...)

I also made my onw charger and the results where not great also as I mentioned in this topic - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1087321

It seems I'm having a stranger problem no one is suffering and so far I didn't understand why:
*My charger won't charge neither the transformer or the dock but it charges my cellphone so it works at 5v but not a 15v.
*My usb cable connects just fine to the pc and I can use it to charge at 5v (pc or 5v charger)
*I builty my own charger with the right requirements: 1000mAh and 12v (minimal is 11v) and it can charge using the dock but not the transformer alone. It also makes this strange noise next to the charging port in the dock and only works for 2 min then it "dies" and starts working again.

I really don't know what else can I do this is very strange :X

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then just let it run down passed 90% (like 88-89%) and see if it charges. If not, then yeah, sorry. :(