Considering getting rid of Quad Core One X for Nexus

Search This thread

hexxor93

Aug 25, 2009
London

bhillegass

Jun 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am a former One X owner (see signature :). The switch to Gnex was the best decision I ever made. Don't get me wrong, the One X is a wonderful device, and i'm not here to bash it. But that pure andorid experience the Nexus offers cannot be beat. The only difference that I really noticed is I would give the nod to the One X screen. The LCD was slightly sharper, but its not something to quibble about since the gnex is a quality screen as well. If you want a more pure experience with the One X you are going to need to root, delete bloat, stop stock att and htc apps from running, etc... Lot of work to get it where you want. The gnex is fluid and non cluttered out of the box. The One X had a lot of bleeding on the battery for me, overheating, and constant crashing. Newer isn't always better. Either way you can't go wrong, but once you go Nexus, you never go back!

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
As per the title, will I miss the Quad Core? Especially concerned about smoothness in the browser, for example scrolling when viewing flash elements is as if the flash element wasnt there on the One X.

Im considering the swap as I want a Nexus device for dev support and can have a bit of money left over for the next Nexus if I do this swap.

With JellyBean, it will actually seem faster then the One X.

Project Butter will blow u away. I especially minor, if not no lag.

--------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you.... hit that sexy thanks button. ^_^

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Thats BS... this is what its like for me... with full flash. And on the desktop site. Granted I didn't have that giant ad and popups he had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNW-L2qHhg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent From My Toro+ via SkyBlue Tapatalk

Thats great cheers for that.

Would you mind playing the video here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18630764 and scrolling/interacting with it to show me smoothness while its playing?

Same with desktop youtube, could you show me yourself scrolling around whilst playing back a video?

Seemless flash is important to me (the HOX offers this) - I like to use my phone as if it is my laptop

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Sure give me a second. Remember this is 1.2ghz not 1.5ghz.

Can't play the bbc video... says its not available in my area. I'll do the YouTube one though.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Sure give me a second. Remember this is 1.2ghz not 1.5ghz.

Can't play the bbc video... says its not available in my area. I'll do the YouTube one though.

Great, if not able to do BBC would this work http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,20699_7913969,00.html

If not could you scroll about on pcgamer.com and this http://www.rickygervais.com/thissideofthetruth.php

I find all of the above to be good tests for a mobile browser

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Sky sports wouldn't play but it was all smooth. Same goes for the second site. That one was BUTTAH. Literally NO lag. Period.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Sky sports wouldn't play but it was all smooth. Same goes for the second site. That one was BUTTAH. Literally NO lag. Period.

Since youre here replying, what kind of battery life do you get with JB? And what kind of improvement does 1.5ghz make? Does it impact battery life much?

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Since youre here replying, what kind of battery life do you get with JB? And what kind of improvement does 1.5ghz make? Does it impact battery life much?

Don't have a kernel with 1.5 right this minute but it does SERIOUS improvement, and yeah it does make the battery go pretty fast. Your battery life will vary depending on how you use your phone. Normally I get 12-15 hours with 5 being display over WiFi. And around 2.5-3 with my crappy 3G on sprint. However international ones get around 3.5-4 with their solid signal.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Don't have a kernel with 1.5 right this minute but it does SERIOUS improvement, and yeah it does make the battery go pretty fast. Your battery life will vary depending on how you use your phone. Normally I get 12-15 hours with 5 being display over WiFi. And around 2.5-3 with my crappy 3G on sprint. However international ones get around 3.5-4 with their solid signal.

Ahh are you CDMA? Any tips for slim cases/screen protectors? Both glossy and a matte one maybe too.

Could you show me Youtube playback with scrolling performance? And is the phone capable of 720p/1080p playback on youtube in browser in JB (ive seen it can in ICS)

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Ahh are you CDMA? Any tips for slim cases/screen protectors? Both glossy and a matte one maybe too.

Could you show me Youtube playback with scrolling performance? And is the phone capable of 720p/1080p playback on youtube in browser in JB (ive seen it can in ICS)

Yeah I'm CDMA. :( and the one I have on.. is a case :D its a generic TPU case that adds a slight bulk. But a good bulk and its very comfortable. Came from Korea :cool: . And if you look back a page I have a video of playing a video And scrolling. At 1190mhz.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Yeah I'm CDMA. :( and the one I have on.. is a case :D its a generic TPU case that adds a slight bulk. But a good bulk and its very comfortable. Came from Korea :cool: . And if you look back a page I have a video of playing a video And scrolling. At 1190mhz.

That isnt so bad.

Is the phone capable of 720p / 1080p playback and do you think 1.5ghz would iron out that lag?

Also - the phone is ramping up to max clocks I assume? I don't know how aggressive youve got powersave on there in the kernel, maybe that is contributing to lag or maybe not! :D

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
That isnt so bad.

Is the phone capable of 720p / 1080p playback and do you think 1.5ghz would iron out that lag?

Also - the phone is ramping up to max clocks I assume? I don't know how aggressive youve got powersave on there in the kernel, maybe that is contributing to lag or maybe not! :D

Yeah should be capable. And yeah 1.5 would probably eliminate it. I'm using the interactive governor. Which is the stock Gov. I'll try performance or on demand. and see what its like. Also I can flash a kernel at 1.5 later... on the charger.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Yeah should be capable. And yeah 1.5 would probably eliminate it. I'm using the interactive governor. Which is the stock Gov. I'll try performance or on demand. and see what its like. Also I can flash a kernel at 1.5 later... on the charger.

Haha is battery that bad with 1.5?? Do you UV? Ive read you can UV the screen, gpu, cpu and another chip on the Nexus?

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008

I'd like to see 720p/1080p flash through browser and maybe a 1080p clip on Diceplayer if poss? I owe you for this! Hopefully youll increase the Nexus party by one thanks to this. Just a couple of these uncertainties are holding me back from ditching the One X

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Haha is battery that bad with 1.5?? Do you UV? Ive read you can UV the screen, gpu, cpu and another chip on the Nexus?
LOL ironically when i was replying i lowered the voltage a little more and the phone froze :S oopsy. but yeah i undervolt it quite a bit. Im not sure about the Screen and Gpu. But i know you can undervolt the CPU. Im not entirely sure as well on if 1.5 would make that big a difference in battery becuase 1.2ghz is sufficient enough for me. I will try it one day though... just worried about the heat and the life of the chip is all really. Especially over mobile network things can heat up quickly, at least for me since i have pathetic 3G speeds... (.50 mbps)

I'd like to see 720p/1080p flash through browser and maybe a 1080p clip on Diceplayer if poss? I owe you for this! Hopefully youll increase the Nexus party by one thanks to this. Just a couple of these uncertainties are holding me back from ditching the One X

Well my brother.. who is the one recording me with his Gnex is gone.. maybe in a little while. But it did playback in 720p for the video i was testing on dunno bout 1080p as it is only really capable of 720p playback... which the difference between 720 and 1080p on these phones is literally microscopic... youd have to have a microscope to see the difference. :D

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
LOL ironically when i was replying i lowered the voltage a little more and the phone froze :S oopsy. but yeah i undervolt it quite a bit. Im not sure about the Screen and Gpu. But i know you can undervolt the CPU. Im not entirely sure as well on if 1.5 would make that big a difference in battery becuase 1.2ghz is sufficient enough for me. I will try it one day though... just worried about the heat and the life of the chip is all really. Especially over mobile network things can heat up quickly, at least for me since i have pathetic 3G speeds... (.50 mbps)

Well my brother.. who is the one recording me with his Gnex is gone.. maybe in a little while. But it did playback in 720p for the video i was testing on dunno bout 1080p as it is only really capable of 720p playback... which the difference between 720 and 1080p on these phones is literally microscopic... youd have to have a microscope to see the difference. :D

Yeh its just to see if its capable - I'd like the ability to output 1080p to a TV via HDMI like I can with the HOX but its not critical. I wish they didn't make the GS3 so fecking hideous because that phone with the GNEX body would have been ideal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It will not be a regret! I was a fan of the build quality of the one x and its speed but the nexus with jb on it ownes the one x (in my opinion). Plus there is a port of HTC sense 4.0 if you are a fan of sense!

sent from my GNexus rocking Jelly Bean!
    You'll get comparable screen on times. Most people get in the three to four hour range. Some less though, and I have seen upwards of five plus hours. A lot will depend on your setup and kernel of choice.
    The One X is a nice phone, one that would be tempting to me, as I do like Htc's build quality.
    The Nexus doesn't feel overly cheap to me or like to much plastic. I think that may be due to the Glass front and I run a cover so that kinds of changes the feel of the textured back to me.
    I do really like the dev community and support that the Nexus receives. One of the reasons that it would be hard for me to leave the Nexus.
    Good luck in your choice.
    Thanks for the reply mate. How does the battery life compare (screen on times)? And does the Nexus feel "cheap" this is one criticism i see levelled at it a lot. I have the option of the S3 but that does look ugly and cheap (too much chrome and too much shine as well as too much plastic.)

I will miss the One X's looks but I love the look of the Nexus, particularly on the front.

Could you give me a test of browser/flash performance? How is it on the Youtube website scrolling when the video is playing? Are button presses on the flash object (like pressing play/mute/pause) instant? I'm a heavy flash user (cricket/football/Sky Sports streaming) so this is important to me.

Extremely smooth. Flash hasn't been updated for jb. However you can still use the one for ICS. I haven't used flash but everything else works great. The battery life does fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Could someone test out http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ website on desktop mode and let me know scrolling performance/scrolling lag on the Nexus?

Tried the page u posted, no lag or stutters whatsoever. The galaxy nexus stock browser is one of the smoothest and quickest browsers out there, even back on ics days, no need to mention JB, everything just flies ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Brilliant. Just trying to think of things I could throw at you lot here - I know what works smooth on the One X and what doesn't. For one thing CVG on desktop mode would have lag from when you put your finger on the screen to the actual scroll taking place.

PCgamer.com was also similarly troublesome on the One X.

What "Screen On" times can I expect with a Nexus? I get 3/4 hours on the One X

Trust me, i owned htc and samsung phones, and since my htc desire days i stopped using stock browsers and dolphin was the main one on all phones that followed. after getting the gnex i was still skeptical about stock browsers, but it's really the best browser i've tried so far, adding to it's speed all the cool stuff like guick controls and inverted screen rendering, u just can't go wrong with it. Furthermore the jelly bean experience is far away from anything available on any other android device out there. I posted a youtube link a while ago about a review for JB on gnex , a part of the review concentrates on browser performance, i'll post the link here as soon as i get to my pc (don't feel like searching over my phone) :p

Edit: as for screen on times, it depends if u're planing to get the gsm or cdma (verizon/sprint) version. I have a gsm one and on ics i used to get continuosly over 5hrs screen on. On jb it dropped to ~ 4-4.5 hrs , i think Google Now is eating the battery, (giving me navigation and calculating traffic to home) even though i don't need it, and actually i'm still enjoying all these JB features so i guess i'll turn some of those uneeded gnow cards OFF soon, pretty sure it'll improve my battery life more :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium