[APP][v5.1] Multi-kernel, Multi-OS -Modded Tassadar's Multirom Manager

Search This thread

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
After preparing zip we have to flash by recovery??? Im always getting stuck in lg logo tryng to do this with sense 3.5 alpha2 from sam i tried the original boot.img and the temp boot.img app does.

What im doing wrong?

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
r u getting the multirom screen at boot? and r u selecting the correct boot location?

if yes, maybe its updater script uses some special stuff. i'll see. Currently my app removes mount and unmount statements, and replaces format statements with rm -rf.

Reactions: Sandipkim

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
I think multirom menu dont appear on boot will try with cm10 its alot more useful but after prepare zip i have to flash in recvery? Because with sense app didnt flash rom only change updater script well will see now with cm10

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
Did u use the "create from zip" option? Dont use that. You have to flash in normal way from recovery. The app doesnt flash ROMs. It just modifies the updater script and boot image.

Multirom should have got embedded with the ROM's boot.img, so, after you flash in recovery, multirom screen should show up at boot.

Last edited:

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
So after prepare zip flash as sytem rom and then restore backup to stay with both roms?? Im getting confused.
So i have to assume that app only gives multirom options to others recoverys is that it? If so already got it how to work ;)

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
are you talking about nandroid backups? You dont need any kind of nandroid backup. It modifies the updater script so that the rom is flashed directly to /sd-ext/multirom/rom/
It mounts /system as /sd-ext/multirom/rom/system, /data as /sd-ext/multirom/rom/data and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandipkim

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
are you talking about nandroid backups? You dont need any kind of nandroid backup. It modifies the updater script so that the rom is flashed directly to /sd-ext/multirom/rom/
It mounts /system as /sd-ext/multirom/rom/system, /data as /sd-ext/multirom/rom/data and so on.

let me wake up because realy im getting confused what i did now was with cm7 i change script then reboot to recovery and install that zip and replace my cm9 that was in system lool...

its better i wake up first...

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
let me wake up because realy im getting confused what i did now was with cm7 i change script then reboot to recovery and install that zip and replace my cm9 that was in system lool...

its better i wake up first...
hey theres an error. linux line breaks have got mixed up with windows line breaks. I dunno how you managed to flash. amon ra gives me a parsing error.

expect an update soon.

btw, did u flash the original zip or the modded zip? the modded ones have a prefix "mrom-" (

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
moddeda and amonra as well ,and now when using stock with dt script cant recgonize my sdext lol
should not appen but no stress waiting for your update ;)

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
Ok i see the zips that app does but they are smaller than the normal zip and it gives error when flashing the rom. What am i missing does the app execpt of the bar fulling when changing updater script says done???

omidreza

Aug 29, 2011
Kerman
sorry for my question...i need your app and i'm a bit confused. i want to have the cm7 as base and daily rom and try the aokp for a few hours and get back to cm7. what should i do?

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
Ok i see the zips that app does but they are smaller than the normal zip and it gives error when flashing the rom. What am i missing does the app execpt of the bar fulling when changing updater script says done???

works fine here. zip can be smaller due to different compression ratio. but there could be other reasons also. Can u open the zip in file manager? Did u complete the "embed multirom" step? did u mount sd-ext in recovery before flashing?

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
I can open zip from file manager i mount sdext but i always get a status6 error.

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
I can open zip from file manager i mount sdext but i always get a status6 error.

It seems, you havn't updated to the latest release.

arnab321-Tasssadar-MultiROMMgr-v4.1.apk in the first post.

The status 6 error is the same one I got with v4.

v4.2 released

It is caused if u dont mount sdext in recovery before flashing. But u wont have to do it anymore after this update.

This is the last update before i go to college. I wont be able to use a computer (except the college computers). We arent even allowed to keep laptops for the first yr, so i wont be able to work on it anymore.

Changes:
[*] If u prepare zips using this version, script will mount sd-ext automatically before flashing in recovery.
[*] if /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip is found, it will use that for preparing zips.

DistantFather

Nov 25, 2011
Malabon City
I want to use this but unfortunately I am a bit confused on how this actually works?
would you mind if you provide a rather simplified instruction for melon heads like me?

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
Simplified instructions:

I guess you already have an ext partition on sdcard. (else create it from recovery, gparted, or any partitioning software). A typical rom takes about 200-250mb if you keep minimal apps.
I also assume that you have multirom (not this app) installed. Else simply use the app's "check for updates" to install multirom. (Or maybe download the flashable zip from tasssadar.github.com )

-backup your current boot image with the app. (I'm calling this backup as rom1.img)

Steps to flash a new rom to sdcard:

-use the "prepare zip" menu of the app, choose the rom zip you want to flash on sdcard. (Sense roms will not work)

-it will take some time as it extracts, modifies and repacks the zip. When the preview of the updater script is shown, just press "save".

-after the progress bar completes, you will see the "embedding multirom" screen. If you are a first time user and see a prompt about choosing multirom.zip before that screen, just choose "download from internet".

-At the "choose boot location" prompt, select "sdcard".

-the boot image of the Rom will be stored as "tmp_boot.img" (all boot image backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/). Just rename it to something meaningful with a file manager. Let's say I renamed it to Rom2.omg. You will need this to boot into the Rom later.

-go to recovery and flash the zip. (The modded zip will have the prefix "mrom-").

-reboot. Your Rom in sdcard should boot now.

Switching Roms:

-to switch to Rom on internal memory, go to "backup/restore boot image" on the app, select rom1.omg, choose "internal memory" and reboot.

-to switch to Rom on sdcard, do the same thing with rom2.img and choose "sdcard".

Ecuadude

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry for the noob question :rolleyes:... But how would I flash ics gapps to cm9 using multirom? My main rom is gingersnap right now but when I tried to flash the ics gapps to cm9 it mounted system and flashed it to main rom . Do I need to mount sdext for it to flash on sdcard rom? :confused:

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People like me find it really impossible to switch back from ics to gb permanently. And its also impossible for me to keep using ics, with poor video recording and playback, GPS wakelock bug, crappy game performance and buggy bluetooth. And you can't keep ics and gb side by side with the original multirom since they need to be compatible with the same kernel. But with this app, you can :)
    What is Tassadar's Multirom? See website and original thread

Features:
    Apart from the existing features which were there in the original app, this has:
    ROM switching:
    This app changes kernels by creating boot.img backups and flashing them. Flashing hardly takes a second in gingerbread. In ics and higher, it may take a bit longer.
    ROM zip modder (to flash directly sd-ext):
    You can use this app to modify your ROM zip to flash directly to sdext. You can flash it with any recovery. The modified rom zip will have multirom embedded in its boot image. So, no need to flash multirom after installing every rom.
    This method is experimental.
    A few points worth noting here:
    -- Modded zip names will have the prefix "mrom-".
    -- The boot image (with multirom in it) of the last modded zip is stored at /sdcard/multirom/tmp_boot.img. You can simply rename it with any file manager.
    attachment.php

Version history:

• v1
    • Added boot.img backup / restore. (Backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/)
    • Asks for default boot location after you flash.
    • Added back and reboot buttons in Updater, so that you can reboot right after flashing.
    • Enabled ICS theme and made some layout changes to suit with it.
      v2
    • Now its possible to select a backup ROM as default after restoring boot image. (For those who keep 3 or mopre ROMS).
    • Fixed Czech translation
    • Fixed a minor bug which was there in the original app; it displayed "Multirom folder not found" instead of "No backups found"
      v3
    • lots of bugs were introduced in the last version. Choosing backups should work correctly now.
      v4
    • Now you can flash a rom to sdcard directly FROM ANY RECOVERY.
    • When modding your ROM zip, a preview of the updater script will be shown.You can edit it, if needed.
    • It is recommended to keep a copy of multirom.zip on sdcard. If you choose to download it from internet, it will be saved at /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip.
    • You can now erase your default rom (on sdcard of course) directly from this app before flashing a new one. Go to "manage ROMs".
    • Also shows the size of your default ROM.
    • bug fixes.
      v4.2
    • Script will mount sd-ext automatically before flashing in recovery.
    • if /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip is found, it will use that for preparing zips.
      v5.1
    • fixed "Cant move active ROM to backup!"
    • fixed absurd behavior and FCs during zip modding, which would happen if you cancel the process and try again.
    • shows detailed progress during zip modding.

How to install a new ROM in sd card
    Just use the app to mod a ROM zip and flash the modded zip in recovery.
    Simplified instructions for first time users

I have tested this method with cm9(arjen's nightlies) , cm10(rasheed's rom) , cm7(gingerblur) and stock roms(dynamite and resurrection).

Long method (only if the above process fails with certain ROMs):
    Its somewhat similar to the original process here.
    - If you haven't, perform up to step 2 of the original guide.
    - Make nandroid backup (ur gonna need this). Wipe. flash ROM which you wanna to have on SDcard.
    - Flash multirom.zip, even if you did earlier ( because everything gets wiped after flashing the ROM ). Get multirom.zip from http://tasssadar.github.com/multirom
    - Backup ROM's boot.img with recovery (preferably AmonRA, because it lets u do selective backup). you need to copy the file to /sdcard/multirom/ later.
    - Go to "MultiROM options" menu and select "Create from current ROM".
    - Restore nandroid backup from beginning of this step and reboot.

How to switch ROMs:
    1. (Only if you haven't done this before) Backup boot.img of current ROM
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    fmg-arrow.png
    attachment.php
    fmg-arrow.png
    attachment.php

Warning: To backup/restore a boot image, you need at least 160 MB of free RAM. This is not a big deal in gb (where u have 300+ MB of RAM). But in ics, you may need to free up RAM using a taskkiller. A bad flash will make your device unbootable. (you will still be able to boot in recovery though)

Sources:
    https://github.com/arnab321/MultiROMMgr

If this was anything useful to you, press thanks!
    Simplified instructions:

I guess you already have an ext partition on sdcard. (else create it from recovery, gparted, or any partitioning software). A typical rom takes about 200-250mb if you keep minimal apps.
    I also assume that you have multirom (not this app) installed. Else simply use the app's "check for updates" to install multirom. (Or maybe download the flashable zip from tasssadar.github.com )

-backup your current boot image with the app. (I'm calling this backup as rom1.img)

Steps to flash a new rom to sdcard:

-use the "prepare zip" menu of the app, choose the rom zip you want to flash on sdcard. (Sense roms will not work)

-it will take some time as it extracts, modifies and repacks the zip. When the preview of the updater script is shown, just press "save".

-after the progress bar completes, you will see the "embedding multirom" screen. If you are a first time user and see a prompt about choosing multirom.zip before that screen, just choose "download from internet".

-At the "choose boot location" prompt, select "sdcard".

-the boot image of the Rom will be stored as "tmp_boot.img" (all boot image backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/). Just rename it to something meaningful with a file manager. Let's say I renamed it to Rom2.omg. You will need this to boot into the Rom later.

-go to recovery and flash the zip. (The modded zip will have the prefix "mrom-").

-reboot. Your Rom in sdcard should boot now.

Switching Roms:

-to switch to Rom on internal memory, go to "backup/restore boot image" on the app, select rom1.omg, choose "internal memory" and reboot.

-to switch to Rom on sdcard, do the same thing with rom2.img and choose "sdcard".
    Hello and Thanks for your work. It seems to be the thing, I requested here.

So I replaced the MultiRom Manager app from Tassadar with the one from you, but now I have issues.
    The app can't get root access. I attached the logcat at the bottom of the post. Maybe someone can help.
    Thanks!
    fixed that.

Okay, a BEEG update.

Now you can flash a rom to sdcard DIRECTLY FROM ANY RECOVERY. (Because i really hated the non touch recoveries for multirom.) Also included an option to erase current rom. You wont need the "copy modules from int. memory" option, as that it needed only if modules are incompatible with a kernel. If you want to flash a new kernel for a rom in sdcard, just restore the boot image backup of that rom, modify the zip with this app, and flash it with recovery.

So, i think all the modded recovery funcions are here in this app itself.

See the changelog for more info. (ill upload screenshots later)
    i fixed some stupidities introduced in the last version and uploaded v5.1

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1385822
    Hey, just one little question, how do you changed the color from blue to orange?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    lol that was a cm9 theme. screenshots were taken on different days

U made it? If yes then u are super awesome and if not then thanks for sharing

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2
    Of course, its my work. But the original idea was Tassadar's. Without his "Updater" thing, i couldnt have done this.