I Need a Small Bit of Assistance Installing CM11 moto_msm8960 (Official)

Search This thread

IanPPK

Jun 17, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I am at a standstill installing CM11 off of the moto_msm8960 unified CM11 builds. Here's what I have accomplished so far:

• Root and unlock bootloader with motochopper and motopocalypse
  • Install CWM Touch v.6.0.4.4 per the CM tutorial here.
  • Download a nightly CM11 build and remove Status 7 error per the tutorial here.
  • Backup stock AOSP ROM with CWM to external SD

My issue now is that I cannot install the ROM through CWM because my bootloader is not 4.4. Could someone guide me in updating the kernel to a KK based one so that I can install?

Edit:I realized while reading another thread that my problem it that the CM website has misreported the rom to use and that I have to use the moto_msm8960 jbbl branch, as the bootloader can only be upgraded if Moto releases a (the?) KK upgrade officially.

Last edited:

mauchito

Sep 17, 2013
Edit:I realized while reading another thread that my problem it that the CM website has misreported the rom to use and that I have to use the moto_msm8960 jbbl branch, as the bootloader can only be upgraded if Moto releases a (the?) KK upgrade officially.

That's right, you can flash the jbbl branch, it works good. Use that until we recieve the KitKat upgrade.

IanPPK

Jun 17, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
That's right, you can flash the jbbl branch, it works good. Use that until we recieve the KitKat upgrade.

I intend to flash nightlies. Quick question though, do I have to do a nandroid backup in CWMR, factory reset/wipe, and then flash the new nightly, or can the new nightly flash like an update.zip? I am currently doing the process I mentioned above and don't want to risk bricking, if there is any risk.

bylithium

Dec 27, 2013
I intend to flash nightlies. Quick question though, do I have to do a nandroid backup in CWMR, factory reset/wipe, and then flash the new nightly, or can the new nightly flash like an update.zip? I am currently doing the process I mentioned above and don't want to risk bricking, if there is any risk.

It is optional to do a nandroid backup, I would usually do this when I am still running stock ROM but it is up to you. You can either clean flash or dirty flash, I don't believe it'll brick your device. I usually clean flash, it is just me. Good luck!

Just a little reminder: You can OTA nightly to nightly and snapshot to snapshot without almost any risk of bricking your device, but when you change from nighty to snapshot or viceversa, you forcefully need to wipe everything. Or you'll get a nasty bootloop. :)