10000mAh external battery

Search This thread

thompsd

Mar 3, 2006
Haven't seen that one but I do have the Proporta USB Turbocharger 3400. It works great and supplies about a days worth of power - highly recommended.

Bright.Light

Jun 12, 2008
Hmm...

'Ultra reliable Lithium-Ion battery, 600% iPhone 4 Battery life, 100% 3G iPad battery life'

so the iPad has a battery of 11000mA????? Don't think so.

apallohadas

Sep 4, 2010
I think these kinds of things are great if you're camping or traveling. The 3 reviews on Amazon would make me cautious until it's had more feedback.

One tends to learn as much from negative feedback as from positive feedback (especially since there are companies that get paid to give positive feedback).

Edit: Just found this at half the price:

buy ((REMOVE THIS PART)) .com/prod/energizer-8000mah-universal-battery-pack-w-ipad-tip/q/loc/111/216795526.html

Last edited:

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
I just got the device today, and as I will be out all night, I will make a field test report in the morning to report on it's performance.

First review: Barely pocket sized and heavy. A good indication :p

Capacity listed on back: 11,100mAh, 3.7V (41Wh)
Output: 5V, 1A
Input (charging): 5V, 2A

Last edited:

wazmo

Jun 3, 2007
Twin Cities
For 1/3rd the price, I just cobbled up a 2-D cell battery holder powered with 10,000 mAH Low-Discharge NiMH and wired them up to a circuit board that I puleld from one of those Energizer Pocket Chargers (the things they normall bundle with 2 AA Lithium Cells).

I bolted a belt clip on it, and I'm good to go-and in a pinch I can always slap in a pair of Alkaline D cells.

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
For 1/3rd the price, I just cobbled up a 2-D cell battery holder powered with 10,000 mAH Low-Discharge NiMH and wired them up to a circuit board that I puleld from one of those Energizer Pocket Chargers (the things they normall bundle with 2 AA Lithium Cells).

I bolted a belt clip on it, and I'm good to go-and in a pinch I can always slap in a pair of Alkaline D cells.

I never thought of that.

But an update on this product. Turns out, you can't leave it plugged in to the wall all the time. Mine died because of that. I sent it back and am awaiting a new one.

But the performance is really good on this thing. This thing sat through 12 hours of continuous use and wasn't near dead when I was done.

smeddy

Apr 1, 2009
London, UK

wazmo

Jun 3, 2007
Twin Cities
One of the reasons I avoid those LiOn packs is that when the battery packs die you're sorta screwed in trying to find replacement cells-and based on my experience, I've yet to see LiOn cells last more than 300+ charge/discharge cycles. That's why I still have as my primary Bluetooth headset a Motorola H300 that takes AAA cells. Sure it may not look sexy-but I don't have to pitch it when the cells crap out. ;)

lusjash

Oct 18, 2009
Busan, Korea
WOW! this is brilliant! could you please post a photo (kind of manual-type). What is the brand of your 2Ds? Aslo, could you please provide some review/technical feedback on how it behaves? How long it charges? how many full cyclescan it go for?

wazmo

Jun 3, 2007
Twin Cities
I use AccuPower AccuEvolution low-discharge NiMH D cells:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuEvolution-Self-Discharge-NiMH-Cells/dp/B00124BN4U

The circuit board I ripped from the Energizer Energi-to-Go cell phone charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ene...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288832498&sr=1-7

Here's what the beast looks like cobbled together:
.__480_360_S1050001(1).JPG

The D-cell holder has a belt-clip bolted on to it. The circuit board from the energi-to-go is hot-glued on to the top of the battery holder. When the phone is plugged into the pack, the blue LED blinks through the hot-glue.

I expect that I'll get hundreds of cycles from the thing.

I have a smaller lash-up using two sets of AA cells wired in parallel. With the NiMH AA I get about 5-10 charge cycles using Sanyo eneloop AA's depending on the discharge of the phone.

Last edited:

lusjash

Oct 18, 2009
Busan, Korea
thanks again

I use AccuPower AccuEvolution low-discharge NiMH D cells:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuEvolution-Self-Discharge-NiMH-Cells/dp/B00124BN4U

The circuit board I ripped from the Energizer Energi-to-Go cell phone charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ene...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1288832498&sr=1-7

Here's what the beast looks like cobbled together:
.__480_360_S1050001(1).JPG

The D-cell holder has a belt-clip bolted on to it. The circuit board from the energi-to-go is hot-glued on to the top of the battery holder. When the phone is plugged into the pack, the blue LED blinks through the hot-glue.

I expect that I'll get hundreds of cycles from the thing.

I have a smaller lash-up using two sets of AA cells wired in parallel. With the NiMH AA I get about 5-10 charge cycles using Sanyo eneloop AA's depending on the discharge of the phone.

Thanks again for detailed explanation! I will try to get the "ingredients" and try to assemble on my own.

I had an urge of buying Energizer Energi-To-Go before, but then i learned that it cannot be used with rechargeables. Is it true?

Correct me if I am wrong with following "naive" calculations - 2 D cells 10000 mAh, 1.2 V each as source and 1280 mAh, 3.7 V HD2 battery as a subject. Assuming the conversion efficiency is somewhere around 80% one gets 0.8x(2x10000x1.2)/(1280x3.7) = 4 for number of full charges of dead empty HD2.

Is it what you experience? (actually that is what i meant under query for number of cycles)

karendar

Aug 9, 2010
Montreal
Having ordered from newtrent before, I can say the IMP products work well. I bought one for a collegue, she got 3 full charges off her IMP500 before having to recharge the battery.

They're decent products, well packaged and they do give a decent battery life.

wazmo

Jun 3, 2007
Twin Cities
Thanks again for detailed explanation! I will try to get the "ingredients" and try to assemble on my own.

I had an urge of buying Energizer Energi-To-Go before, but then i learned that it cannot be used with rechargeables. Is it true?

Correct me if I am wrong with following "naive" calculations - 2 D cells 10000 mAh, 1.2 V each as source and 1280 mAh, 3.7 V HD2 battery as a subject. Assuming the conversion efficiency is somewhere around 80% one gets 0.8x(2x10000x1.2)/(1280x3.7) = 4 for number of full charges of dead empty HD2.

Is it what you experience? (actually that is what i meant under query for number of cycles)

Older NiMHs cells probably don't have the same load characteristics as the low-discharge cells do-I have used low-discharge cells with the stock energi-to-go and can usually get 2 cycles depending on the state of charge of the phone. However, my Nokia N900 does need a higher input voltage to kick the circuit over-in that case I slap one alkaline and the NiMH and all is well.

I usually don't let the phone get to a complete dead state-that tends to make charging much more challenging. What I have done is I created a cutout in my case where I can connect the headphones and power.

rr5678

Dec 25, 2009
Having ordered from newtrent before, I can say the IMP products work well. I bought one for a collegue, she got 3 full charges off her IMP500 before having to recharge the battery.

They're decent products, well packaged and they do give a decent battery life.
Try the IMP100/880E. over 24 hours and it's still not dead

That's called **** bricks power :p

wazmo

Jun 3, 2007
Twin Cities
Ya mean Varta actually still lives? Last time I saw a Varta-manufactured cell it was at an IKEA store-now even they went with Chinese-manufactured cells.

Too bad-they could have gone to an American-made battery-Panasonic! :p

hellraiser-rh

Mar 26, 2010
Ya mean Varta actually still lives? Last time I saw a Varta-manufactured cell it was at an IKEA store-now even they went with Chinese-manufactured cells.
Too bad-they could have gone to an American-made battery-Panasonic! :p

You're damn right, Varta is down the drain.
But it was the firts pic i found ;)

This will also be needed for extreme ext. Power Supply:

55028100.jpg

ipaq_autoadapter_kl.jpg

kfz_batterieladegeraet_autostar.gif

schubkarre.jpg