[HOW-TO] Working MTP in Ubuntu

Search This thread

gnustomp

Nov 1, 2012
Has anyone had an issue accessing it?

Could not display "/media/GalaxyNexus".

Error: Error when getting information for file '/media/GalaxyNexus': Transport endpoint is not connected
Please select another viewer and try again.

I know the udev configuration looks fine and adb works fine and it tries to mount the device for MTP but I get the above error. I'm not using Ubuntu but my go-mtps install has been updated on git and I have the latest version of fuse and followed the instructions.

Reboot. Whenever you get the dreaded transport endpoint error, reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Reboot. Whenever you get the dreaded transport endpoint error, reboot.

Which? The phone or PC? Both have been rebooted and I noticed the error earlier today since a reboot. I didn't find anything googling outside of xda but I did try to resolve it on my own before posting.

crazyg4merz

Sep 15, 2011
I still prefer adb command for it. But if u don't like typing commands all the time, there's a GUI for it, Qtadb. So why do we even need a working MTP? :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
Some commands didn't work so I had to use old method: sudo nautilus to put files to the right locations but for some reason it gives me error when I try to open Galaxy Nexus... :/

Is that guide even compatible with Ubuntu 10.04.4?

seecay

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks man that worked out of the box! You saved my live :D.

No worries. If you want to plug it in & have it "just work", this might be better. Especially if you're not opposed to adding even more PPAs to your system...

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/upgrade-to-gvfs-with-mtp-support-in.html

As usual, please be warned that this is actually marked as unstable. I have had some crashes when using it myself. But it's awesome when it works (which is most of the time)...

The-Captain

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Themer
May 18, 2011
Thread Closed:
All discussion of Ubuntu Touch is being moved here >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2161577
Keeps the Galaxy Nexus forum from being filled with a bunch of Ubuntu threads!

EDIT:

Reopen! I didn't realize this thread was related to Ubuntu Desktop. Sorry! :(

Last edited:
Reactions: seecay

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
So before I did like in that page which link is in the OP..

But it didn't work!

I did it my way..

I opened terminal and I wrote:
sudo nautilus

It gave few errors of missing sharing file(s) samba..
I navigated to /etc/udev/rules.d/ folder and then I closed terminal!
I made new file to the rules.d folder:
51-android.rules
I opened it and I added this one and I replaced <username> as my PC's name Carlos so it is ......="<Carlos>"

Code:
# adb protocol on passion (Nexus One)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e12", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on passion (Nexus One)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on crespo/crespo4g (Nexus S)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e22", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on crespo/crespo4g (Nexus S)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e20", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on stingray/wingray (Xoom)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="70a9", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on stingray/wingray (Xoom)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="708c", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on maguro/toro (Galaxy Nexus)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on maguro/toro (Galaxy Nexus)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d101", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# usbboot protocol on panda (PandaBoard)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00f", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# usbboot protocol on panda (PandaBoard ES)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d010", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on grouper/tilapia (Nexus 7)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e42", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on grouper/tilapia (Nexus 7)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e40", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# adb protocol on manta (Nexus 10)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee2", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"
# fastboot protocol on manta (Nexus 10)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee0", MODE="0600", OWNER="<username>"

I don't know is there posted similar post but this is the way how I did..

Now I can use MTP on my Ubuntu with no issues..:p

Army_Spec_Ops

May 2, 2010
Salem, OR
I got ubuntu working with MTP on my Galaxy Nexus (and A500) using instructions for the Nexus 7. I have documented these at my website.

http://www.winters.org.nz/android-hints-tips-stuff/working-mtp-on-ubuntu

This setup is the only one I have managed to get working, I am using Ubuntu 12.10, and it should work for earlier versions.

:)
I was looking at your site and in the "setup udev rules" section you dont have the rules for the 32GB model or is it the same as the 16GB?

gnustomp

Nov 1, 2012
MTP works out of the box in 13.04, just saying.

skorasaurus

Dec 23, 2010
MTP works out of the box in 13.04, just saying.

I was looking at your site and in the "setup udev rules" section you dont have the rules for the 32GB model or is it the same as the 16GB?

I was wondering the same thing as well because I followed the OP's direction with my galaxy nexus 32gb model and receive the message "/bin/sh: 1: DeviceFs(Galaxy Nexu): not found"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got ubuntu working with MTP on my Galaxy Nexus (and A500) using instructions for the Nexus 7. I have documented these at my website.

http://www.winters.org.nz/android-hints-tips-stuff/working-mtp-on-ubuntu

This setup is the only one I have managed to get working, I am using Ubuntu 12.10, and it should work for earlier versions.

:)
    For Unity & KDE users, this might be a worthwhile attempt, works for me on KDE. Even quicklists in the icon-only task manager...

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-mount-android-40-ubuntu-go-mtpfs.html
    First of all thanks a lot for solving this long pending issue.

Everything worked for me mounting, data transfer through MTP, but while unmounting I am getting an error saying that "umount: /media/Nexus mount disagrees with the fstab"

I am using Ubuntu 12.04, Nexus 4.1.2

when the nexus is connected issue the mount command in a terminal, you should see something like..
    Code:
    DeviceFs(Galaxy Nexu on /media/GalaxyNexus type fuse.DeviceFs(Galaxy Nexu (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,user=username)

its possable your device name is different, so check the fstab line,
    Code:
    DeviceFs(Galaxy\040Nexu)    /media/GalaxyNexus    fuse.DeviceFs(Galaxy\040Nexu)    allow_other,rw,user,noauto    0    0

the DeviceFS (both) must match above except the space in the mount listing has to be replaced with \040 as space is the field separator in fstab..
    Thread Closed:
    All discussion of Ubuntu Touch is being moved here >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2161577
    Keeps the Galaxy Nexus forum from being filled with a bunch of Ubuntu threads!

EDIT:

Reopen! I didn't realize this thread was related to Ubuntu Desktop. Sorry! :(