[Q] GTAB NVFLASH issues.

Search This thread

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
1. could really use some help here guys. 2. please, please don't just automatically tell me to check this thread or read the 30+ threads...trust me I have I have been reading, trying and beating my head against a wall for the last 4 days for numerous hours each day.

THIS is WHAT I HAVE:

I bought the tablet bricked by someone else, no access to ROM (sits @ birds endlessly), No access to Recovery (sits on loading recovery image/birds indefinitely), only access to APX mode. I also have no idea what firmware etc it had/has on it.

1. USB drivers installed and recognized when device put in APX mode "NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices" shows up in device manager with no ! also Generic USB Hub shows up with no !

2. I have tried just about every NVFLASH/unbrick/file group out there. most recently Raywoldos here: http://raywaldo.com/2011/01/nvflash-for-dummies/ nothing has changed the status of the tablet.

3. I have also tried 3 different cables (its not the cable)

4. NVFLASH will flash everything sucessfully with no errors etc...nothing affects this tablet it just stays the same. OH and I have also taken the back off and used the hard reset button, unplugged the batter, tried it with battery and power cable both connected etc.

5. The only thing I notice out of place is all the NVFLASH threads say the tablet should reboot on its own - it never does, just sits in apx mode with the apx nvflash text at the top of the screen.

6. if I plug it in and power it up normal it will show the removable drive icon, but if double click on it - "please insert disk"

7. this is not the first gtablet I have unbricked (thus the reason I bought it for cheap.) I really am out of ideas and half the links to Gtab for dummies etc sites all come up 404 - not found. does anyone have any ideas to try. if its new I will try it, if I already have, I will tell you. it seems like the 30 thousand threads I have read/tried have all had similar but not exactly same issue as this one....lucky me X__x

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited:

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
Don't worry that it doesn't restart automatically. Are you pressing volume+ when restarting?

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using xda app-developers app

Yes, turning it straight on - stays at 3birds. Turning it on PWR and VOL+ = stays at 3birds with "loading recovery image" - NEVER LOADS IT, just hangs indefinitely. Turning it on with PWR and VOL- works fine goes into APX mode like it should...no matter what particular "how to" and files I use it just stays the same.

Last edited:

striker59

Yes, turning it straight on - stays at 3birds. Turning it on PWR and VOL+ = stays at 3birds with "loading recovery image" - NEVER LOADS IT, just hangs indefinitely. Turning it on with PWR and VOL- works fine goes into APX mode like it should...no matter what particular "how to" and files I use it just stays the same.

I would try a different nvflash, not knowing which rom you want to load I cant direct you. Depending on rom you will need bl 1.1 or 1.2 or some of the newer 1.3. google nvflash for gtablet and you will find many, but try a different on other than the one you used. Here is one link that could be helpful http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-rom-1-2-branch-stock-rom-video-tutorial.html

Reactions: JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
I would try a different nvflash, not knowing which rom you want to load I cant direct you. Depending on rom you will need bl 1.1 or 1.2 or some of the newer 1.3. google nvflash for gtablet and you will find many, but try a different on other than the one you used. Here is one link that could be helpful http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-rom-1-2-branch-stock-rom-video-tutorial.html

well those are different ones that I have tried (I think - have not visited that site before) so I will try those. At this point I don't care what 1.1 or 1.2 firmware and or rom I get it too. getting it to any of them and loading a recovery I can get into and use is my goal at this point. I will try nvflashing those and post back with whether any of them get me unbricked to the point I can access recovery. Thank-you

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009

All the linuxbox solution links are dead and the BEKIT one I have already tried multiple times. you mentioned 1.3 firmware do you have a link of where to get it and try it?

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
All the linuxbox solution links are dead and the BEKIT one I have already tried multiple times. you mentioned 1.3 firmware do you have a link of where to get it and try it?
You have an APX boot-loop. This happens for some people after a full nvflash--one of the reasons why I almost never recommend it.

Stick with bekit's nvflash package and try:
1. Format /misc, /logodata and /cache using nvflash. The example in the link only formats /misc. Look through the partition.txt file for the partition numbers for /cache and /logodata too. Then add more --format_partition nn flags to the final command line you will run. Ie. The second command line should look something like:
Code:
C:\SOME\PATH> [B].\nvflash -r --format_partition 7 --format_partition 8 --format_partition 12 --go[/B]
If that gets you a recovery mode, but, you're still in APX mode after exiting recovery:
2. See this post.

If you can't get into recovery mode no matter what:
3. See this post.

Last edited:

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
You have an APX boot-loop. This happens for some people after a full nvflash--one of the reasons why I almost never recommend it.

1. Format /misc, /logodata and /cache using nvflash. The example in the link only formats /misc. Look through the partition.txt file for the partition numbers for /cache and /logodata too. Then add more --format_partition nn flags to the final command line you will run. Ie. The second command line should look something like:
Code:
C:\SOME\PATH> [B].\nvflash -r --format_partition 7 --format_partition 8 --format_partition 12 --go[/B]
If that gets you a recovery mode, but, you're still in APX mode after exiting recovery:
2. See this post.

3. See this post.

could I put this in the bat(ch) file that currently says:
Code:
 "nvflash.exe" --bct gtablet.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile gtablet.cfg --create --go

@set /p batuserinput=Press enter to continue:

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Code:
 "nvflash.exe" --bct gtablet.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile gtablet.cfg --create --go
You can't use a batch file for this yet: You have to run the first command (copy from the browser and paste into CMD.exe), then open a text editor like Notepad and look through the partition.txt file to identify the partition numbers. After that copy and paste the command line in post #7. Adjust partition numbers if needed, then press enter.

Last edited:

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
You can't use a batch file for this yet: You have to run the first command (copy from the browser and paste into CMD.exe), then open a text editor like Notepad and look through the partition.txt file to identify the partition numbers. After that copy and paste the command line in post #7. Adjust partition numbers if needed, then press enter.

Ok so in theory if I don't care about anything on it, I can do something like this in NVFLASH
Code:
 nvflash.exe -r --format_partition 1 --format_partition 2 --format_partition 3-- format_partition 4 --format_partition 5 --format_partition 6 --format_partition 7 --format_partition 8 --format_partition 9 --format_partition 10 --format_partition 11 --format_partition 12

Also how long should it take to complete an indvidual part. right now I have it doing the original you posted 7, 8, 12 I think it was. its been on 7 from several minutes now...my experience is cmd usually is faster than that.

Last edited:

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
rajeewp, FIRST ..>THANK-YOU FOR THE HELP, I SHOULD HAVE SAID IT EARLIER!!!

2. I could not find a file called partition.txt. the only thing I can find that has what I think your talking about is the gtablet.cfg file it contains:

Code:
[device]
type=nand
instance=0

[partition]
name=BCT
id=2
type=boot_config_table
allocation_policy=sequential
filesystem_type=basic
size=3145728
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part2.img

[partition]
name=PT
id=3
type=partition_table
filesystem_type=basic
size=131072
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part3.img

[partition]
name=EBT
id=4
type=data
filesystem_type=basic
size=2097152
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part4.img

[partition]
name=MBT
id=5
type=data
filesystem_type=basic
size=131072
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part5.img

[partition]
name=BLO
id=6
type=data
filesystem_type=basic
size=4194304
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part6.img

[partition]
name=MSC
id=7
type=data
filesystem_type=yaffs2
size=16777216
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=0x10
percent_reserved=0
filename=part7.img

[partition]
name=OGO
id=8
type=data
filesystem_type=yaffs2
size=33554432
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
percent_reserved=0
filename=part8.img

[partition]
name=SOS
id=9
type=data
filesystem_type=basic
size=16777216
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part9.img

[partition]
name=LNX
id=10
type=data
filesystem_type=basic
size=16777216
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
allocation_attribute=8
percent_reserved=0
filename=part10.img

[partition]
name=APP
id=11
type=data
filesystem_type=yaffs2
size=209715200
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
percent_reserved=0
filename=system.img

[partition]
name=CAC
id=12
type=data
filesystem_type=yaffs2
size=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
file_system_attribute=0
partition_attribute=0
percent_reserved=0

IS THAT WHAT YOU WERE WANTING ME TO FIND?

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
Ok so in theory if I don't care about anything on it, I can do something like this in NVFLASH
Code:
 nvflash.exe -r --format_partition 1 --format_partition 2 --format_partition 3-- format_partition 4 --format_partition 5 --format_partition 6 --format_partition 7 --format_partition 8 --format_partition 9 --format_partition 10 --format_partition 11 --format_partition 12
No, that command-line wouldn't be right for 2 reasons:
1. The -r flag stands for "resume" --ie. send additional commands to an already running bootloader (run previously with the --bl filename.bin command). So, without a previous --bl filename.bin command, a command lines containing a -r flag will appear to "hang" the nvflash command. You'll have to reboot the gtablet and begin from scratch.

2. For some strange reason, there is no partition #1. NAND-flash partitions on the gTablet start at #2 and end at between #12 and #14 (that we've seen on this board).

Once you're certain about your partitions (note that this can be added to/reduced/reordered by the specific nvflash package--see the filename.cfg file for partition layout), you can put these commands into a batch file to wipe the NAND-flash:
Code:
[B]@echo off[/B]
[B].\nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 2 [I][other partitions][/I] --go[/B]
There is also a --format_all flag that you can use in combination with --configfile, but, I've never tried it out.
Also how long should it take to complete an indvidual part. right now I have it doing the original you posted 7, 8, 12 I think it was. its been on 7 from several minutes now...my experience is cmd usually is faster than that.
It should finish in seconds. Does it say something like:
Code:
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
  928940/928940 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
Formatting partition 7 please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 8 please wait.. done!
Formatting partition 12 please wait.. done!

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

2. I could not find a file called partition.txt.
It should be in the same directory as the nvflash executable.

the only thing I can find that has what I think your talking about is the gtablet.cfg file it contains:
IS THAT WHAT YOU WERE WANTING ME TO FIND?
That looks like bekit's standard gtablet.cfg. If this is what you used to do the full nvflash, then

1. reboot the tablet into APX mode again and
2. run this command:
Code:
C:\SOME\PATH> [B].\nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --format_partition 7 --format_partition 8 --format_partition 12 --go[/B]
See if you can get into recovery mode with Power and Vol +.

Last edited:

JEFFSGTP

Nov 8, 2009
You guys are way past my knowledge, I will bow out. I only gave my limited opinion because no one was responding. Good luck and I'll follow this thread to see how your problem is resolved. :)

I would be remiss if I didn't say THANKYOU to you as well, i appreciate your help/ideas as well.

haven't had time to do this yet, will report back when I do rajeewp!

Reactions: striker59

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    2. See this post.

3. See this post.
    Code:
    You guys are way past my knowledge, I will bow out. I only gave my limited opinion because no one was responding. Good luck and I'll follow this thread to see how your problem is resolved. :)

I would be remiss if I didn't say THANKYOU to you as well, i appreciate your help/ideas as well.

haven't had time to do this yet, will report back when I do rajeewp!