[Q] Tmobile network signal not so good?

Search This thread

xplred

Apr 9, 2011
Chicago
So i've had the N5 for 4 days now and i just recently switched to Tmobile from Sprint. When im in my house i rarely have more than 1 bar of service and frequently 0 bars. The phone seems to not automatically switch to any other mode (3g/2g). The attached screen shot is only from 4 hours of use, being outside more than inside and still only little blips of green on the mobile network connection log. I work outside and still being outside 8 hours a day still wont have much green on that log.

I dont have another phone from t-mobile to try out but it seems a few people have said that the N5 has radio issues. Not sure if this problem is phone/hardware related?

My data speeds are not the issue here, its more the cell connection for phone calls. My girlfriend has called me many times with my phone laying on the counter when the phone had 1 or 0 bars and it would never ring or show a missed call.

Ive called tmo and they said the towers are good and i that i dont have a "stong" LTE signal but it is "good". I have also went to tmo store and they swapped out the sim card for me, same issue.

The phone i have seems to be the newest batch of N5's with a 401KP serial number and a 01/13/14 manufacture date.

Im super happy with the phone overall but if not being able to receive calls from people is very frustrating and nullifies all the good that this phone has going for it.

Im in the chicago area. Anyone else having this issue?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-26-11-19-29.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-26-11-19-29.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 574

air2k57

Oct 5, 2009
See my attachment. I'm on tmo as well. I usually get between 1-4 bars of LTE, yet, it is always yellow. T-Mobile is known to have issues with penetration in buildings. Here in Atlanta it seemed to have gotten way better as of the past few months to where I always have reception and good download speeds. But, there are still areas where when my phone screen is off it likes to go to no signal, and then to 2 bars when I'm using it. Although, they only happens at my gfs parents house. They all have ATT and had to get a signal booster to get service, while sprint barely gets anything there. So I guess it isn't s big deal at all since other carriers struggle more there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390761672994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390761672994.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 50

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
So i've had the N5 for 4 days now and i just recently switched to Tmobile from Sprint. When im in my house i rarely have more than 1 bar of service and frequently 0 bars. The phone seems to not automatically switch to any other mode (3g/2g). The attached screen shot is only from 4 hours of use, being outside more than inside and still only little blips of green on the mobile network connection log. I work outside and still being outside 8 hours a day still wont have much green on that log.

I dont have another phone from t-mobile to try out but it seems a few people have said that the N5 has radio issues. Not sure if this problem is phone/hardware related?

My data speeds are not the issue here, its more the cell connection for phone calls. My girlfriend has called me many times with my phone laying on the counter when the phone had 1 or 0 bars and it would never ring or show a missed call.

Ive called tmo and they said the towers are good and i that i dont have a "stong" LTE signal but it is "good". I have also went to tmo store and they swapped out the sim card for me, same issue.

The phone i have seems to be the newest batch of N5's with a 401KP serial number and a 01/13/14 manufacture date.

Im super happy with the phone overall but if not being able to receive calls from people is very frustrating and nullifies all the good that this phone has going for it.

Im in the chicago area. Anyone else having this issue?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Try testing HSPA+ (GSM) rather than LTE...you may find it more stable than the LTE/GSM swapover for calls.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013

So you are postpaid, If you call in t-mobile and ask if you quality for a signal booster as you do not have good service in home but you do outside.

Certain requirements though to get one you need to live in a single family home and not in a apartment complex the reason is because E911 wont locate you and they cannot dispatch police right away

If you are successful like I did you will get one for free and I also got it 1 day overnight express
a7epynub.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xplred

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
So you are postpaid, If you call in t-mobile and ask if you quality for a signal booster as you do not have good service in home but you do outside.

Certain requirements though to get one you need to live in a single family home and not in a apartment complex the reason is because E911 wont locate you and they cannot dispatch police right away

If you are successful like I did you will get one for free and I also got it 1 day overnight express
a7epynub.jpg

They still give those out? Last time I called they said they stopped.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
They still give those out? Last time I called they said they stopped.

They still give it out.. under certain environments for example we have 5 lines and 3 are iPhones and 2 are Nexus 5's
all of them are incapable of wifi calling. so they had to just give one to us..

I also kissed ass to them saying that i love t-mobile but i just wished i had service inside.
the rep transferred me to a lady named Donna, i kissed her ass too and got it shipped 1 day overnight express Lol

overall just be kind and kiss ass

xplred

Apr 9, 2011
Chicago

a7epynub.jpg

Awesome!:good:

Ill call them in a bit, i didnt know they still had those either!

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
They still give it out.. under certain environments for example we have 5 lines and 3 are iPhones and 2 are Nexus 5's
all of them are incapable of wifi calling. so they had to just give one to us..

I also kissed ass to them saying that i love t-mobile but i just wished i had service inside.
the rep transferred me to a lady named Donna, i kissed her ass too and got it shipped 1 day overnight express Lol

overall just be kind and kiss ass

None of mime are WiFi calling capable. I'll call again, but I've also heard from others that they don't five them out anymore. Is it LTE or HSPA?

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Awesome!:good:

Ill call them in a bit, i didnt know they still had those either!

1)Remember call in state that you have service near your window but you cannot be at a window every time to make a call
2) ask if you quality for a signal booster and when they say if you have any connected walls or shared walls something inbetween those lines state no
3)They're going to do some troubleshooting if you have edge in or 1bar of 4g or LTE TURN ON Airplane mode they're actually going to ping the device state on the mobile network (testing to see if you're a lier)

Tips: Kiss ass, complement things like i love t-mobile etc, be patient and have a nice happy voice, call using another phone NOT on t-mobile..

i hope this helps! :good:

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

None of mime are WiFi calling capable. I'll call again, but I've also heard from others that they don't five them out anymore. Is it LTE or HSPA?

It supports EDGE/HSPA and t-mobile newly refarmed 1900pcs HSPA

its pretty future proof as HSPA will be here long. besides HSPA is what makes the calls not LTE
better to have some data and calls than no calls and data at all..
it also conserves battery life as the signal is strong and your device wont have to search for signals

xplred

Apr 9, 2011
Chicago
3)They're going to do some troubleshooting if you have edge in or 1bar of 4g or LTE TURN ON Airplane mode they're actually going to ping the device state on the mobile network (testing to see if you're a lier)

You said to TURN ON airplane mode when i call them?

Sweet talking is the only way you can get free stuff usually. :cool:

I see you have a backup tmobile phone... Does it get the same reception in the house as your N5 does?

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
You said to TURN ON airplane mode when i call them?

Sweet talking is the only way you can get free stuff usually. :cool:

I see you have a backup tmobile phone... Does it get the same reception in the house as your N5 does?

Yeah,, you have to be valuable to TMO to get this (ala multiple postpaid lines). The last case I saw here was months ago, and he went all the way to retention before they sent him a cel-fi. Regular CSR's may not have the option on their system.

WRT, HSPA+, use phoneinfo app (market) to toggle GSM-only/LTE settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roy.phoneinfo&hl=en

Last edited:

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah,, you have to be valuable to TMO to get this (ala multiple postpaid lines). The last case I saw here was months ago, and he went all the way to retention before they sent him a cel-fi. Regular CSR's may not have the option on their system.

WRT, HSPA+, use phoneinfo app (market) to toggle GSM-only/LTE settings.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roy.phoneinfo&hl=en

Was he a single line or more than 1 line before being sent to customer retention

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
Was he a single line or more than 1 line before being sent to customer retention

IIRC (from Nexus 4 forum), he had two lines, was over $120/mo, and had played CSR roulette trying for a cel-fi. After he said he wanted to cancel (he TRULY had poor coverage at home) and got a hold of retention, he was able to eek one out. Most fora say their cel-fi supply has been drained, however, based on user reports.

The main reason I was following this was for a business client of mine. He's 'last mile' internet, despite dead fiber running down his street less than 20 feet away. He currently pays over $400/mo for ISDN 1.5 synchronous 2yr/contract. Yet, I get over 40MBPS at his location on TMO, outdoors, but drop to near nothing inside his metal buildings. I'm unable to convince him TMO is capable of business-critical uptime, but I think a cel-fi in his window could go a long way towards convincing him.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

a7epynub.jpg