How To Repair HTC One X Screen

Search This thread

veksx

Dec 6, 2010
Yes. I have an AT&T and an international device here and I've swapped the lcd & digitizer assembly from one to the other without problems -- international to AT&T and the other way around. Come to think of it, I never had to do the "sync" procedure either. I wonder why...

Do you know did the lcds were same brand or different? for example: sony lcd and auo

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Hi guys

I was crossing the street quickly when the phone dropped off my hoodie and then I rescue it. The phone was ok. Nothing happens but some scratches in the back. Sending SMS and etc. Half hour later the screen just exploded in my pocket in a retardness effect.
I don't know for sure what is my LCD version. I think it's a Sony version. Here are the pics:

re82.jpg

vzaz.jpg

t6gq.jpg

v16s.jpg

5kgl.jpg

I read the whole topic and I'm a bit confusing in wich LCD I should buy. Too many failure LCD's and a lot of ebay links with china crap. Also there too many user that promise post their review of LCDs but just disappear themselves.
I can't post links yet because i'm a new member but I will be eternally grateful if someone with the same LCD made the swap successfully and the store where was bought.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

I would say it is sharp display you have

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
Do you know did the lcds were same brand or different? for example: sony lcd and auo

They are different brand. The AT&T had a yellow flex screen (auo?) and the international one had a yellow/green flex, same as in begode69's pictures that you identified as a Sharp display.

One thing I did was disable the "fast boot" option on both devices so that they power off completely when I turn them off. Maybe that is why I didn't need to sync the displays, I don't know.

Last edited:

bigode69

Sep 5, 2013
Curitiba

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

I would say it is sharp display you have
Maybe it was a bit confusing but the first two pics are the same cable (in the bottom of display). It is yellow in one side and green in the another side. This one is not the Sony?

Last edited:

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
Maybe it was a bit confusing but the first two pics are the same cable (in the bottom of display). It is yellow in one side and green in the another side. This one is not the Sony?

You have a flex cable that is completely green on the underside, that is a Sharp LCD. I have t one of these too. If it were Sony, it would be green for about a centimeter and continue as yellow. Check the pictures posted by eldgreve some posts back.

veksx

Dec 6, 2010
Okay,so i got two htc one x-s.One has broken lcd,it is shattered and lcd connector on mbo was broken but i glued it somehow. Other one has working lcd but not working mbo as owner said. Both of them are now connected on chargers and red led lights all the time.Pc will recognize both of them as htc device. One with shattered lcd will vibrate when i turn it on but there is nothing on screen. Another one wont vibrate or show anything on screen. What can i do here?
EDIT: One with faulty mbo turned on and now green led is shown as well as capacitive buttons but there's nothing on screen

Last edited:

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
Okay,so i got two htc one x-s.One has broken lcd,it is shattered and lcd connector on mbo was broken but i glued it somehow. Other one has working lcd but not working mbo as owner said. Both of them are now connected on chargers and red led lights all the time.Pc will recognize both of them as htc device. One with shattered lcd will vibrate when i turn it on but there is nothing on screen. Another one wont vibrate or show anything on screen. What can i do here?
EDIT: One with faulty mbo turned on and now green led is shown as well as capacitive buttons but there's nothing on screen

I was going to suggest that you check the power button flex on the device that is not responding to the power button - I spent a couple of days trying to turn on one of these devices before I noticed that the flex cable was loose in the socket. Anyway, you seem to have turned yours on already.

The fact that the LCD looks okay doesn't necessarily mean that it is okay. I have one that looks perfectly fine, but only the backlight comes on.

I would suggest that you swapping the intact LCD to the device with known good motherboard, but you would probably be trying that already. The fact that the socket on the motherboard is broken is quite worrying, but good luck!

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Hi all, had a quick search but couldnt find much...

Ive just replaced the glass on my one X, the LCD and the glass seperated without any problems

anyway, the phone seems to work fine, boots up, vibrates, green flashing light to say ive got a message etc but my screen is white

tried ggoing into recovery etc with no luck

ive tried putting the ribbon cable in so many times and all I get on the screen is white....

any help?

The issue you are having involves the LCD screen (inner display). The first thing you might want to check is the connections involving the LCD, most specifically the LCD flex cable. Perhaps the cable connection loosened during your repair. Another possibility is that the LCD is simply dysfunctional, which would require a replacement LCD screen, but it sounds like it was working before your last repair?

Lastly, there is another route we've heard can work. The steps are as follows: 1) Remove the battery, while phone is on. 2) Release/unplug the LCD connection (flex cable). 3) Reconnect the LCD flex cable 4) Replace battery 5) Turn the phone back on.

You may want to also check out our repair guide video at RepairsUniverse (dot) com, under the tab "repair guides & videos". Best of luck!

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
The issue you are having involves the LCD screen (inner display). The first thing you might want to check is the connections involving the LCD, most specifically the LCD flex cable. Perhaps the cable connection loosened during your repair. Another possibility is that the LCD is simply dysfunctional, which would require a replacement LCD screen, but it sounds like it was working before your last repair?

Lastly, there is another route we've heard can work. The steps are as follows: 1) Remove the battery, while phone is on. 2) Release/unplug the LCD connection (flex cable). 3) Reconnect the LCD flex cable 4) Replace battery 5) Turn the phone back on.

You may want to also check out our repair guide video at RepairsUniverse (dot) com, under the tab "repair guides & videos". Best of luck!

No sooner that I boasted about swapping screens around, I broke one of my devices :silly:

I got a batch of One X screen assemblies, all should have been with a broken glass but a working touchscreen/LCD. Plugged the first one in, rebooted -- works. Plugged the second one in, rebooted -- works. Plugged the third one in, rebooted -- blank screen. Swap one LCD known to work in -- blank screen. Swap the other working one in -- blank screen...

Now I'm wondering, if I broke the connector or burnt the motherboard... I knew in my heard that sooner or later this may happen, just wasn't ready for it to happen quite so soon.

I can still connect the known good LCDs to the other device and I see they work fine, I just don't want to test "the killer LCD" in my working device, or I risk making two paperweights in one day :)

Tepes4

Jun 14, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
OnePlus 9
Glue

Hey guys, I have replaced the screen on my HTC One X but I think I messed up by uplying a bit too much pressure during the process so now I have a problem with the glass not sticking too well on the frame. Is there any way to reinforce the glue that is under the glass?

Thanks in advance.
Tepes4

intel007

Nov 21, 2011
Kent/London
Hey guys, I have replaced the screen on my HTC One X but I think I messed up by uplying a bit too much pressure during the process so now I have a problem with the glass not sticking too well on the frame. Is there any way to reinforce the glue that is under the glass?

Thanks in advance.
Tepes4

You could try turning off the phone, then using a hairdryer to heat the glue while applying pressure to bond them back together, then let it cool down while still applying pressure.

Hopefully it may help;)

from my ⊙N€ X

Tepes4

Jun 14, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
OnePlus 9
You could try turning off the phone, then using a hairdryer to heat the glue while applying pressure to bond them back together, then let it cool down while still applying pressure.

Hopefully it may help;)

from my ⊙N€ X
Thanks for your reply intel007, I thought that higher temperature would "cancel" the effect the glue has. At least this is what the dissasembly videos show... Is the kind of glue that is used on the HOX, like that, or would it help the screen get stuck better? I just don't want to ruin the rest of the screen.

Thanks in advance,
Tepes4

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

intel007

Nov 21, 2011
Kent/London
Thanks for your reply intel007, I thought that higher temperature would "cancel" the effect the glue has. At least this is what the dissasembly videos show... Is the kind of glue that is used on the HOX, like that, or would it help the screen get stuck better? I just don't want to ruin the rest of the screen.

Thanks in advance,
Tepes4

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

When the glue is hot it will make things easier to stick or remove and When it cools down again it should be better stuck, just make sure your phone is powered off, you don't wanna overheat it while switched on.

I use the same method when applying screen protectors, as it helps stick down the parts that are harder to stick, curved edge.

from my ⊙N€ X

hx4700 Killer

Oct 19, 2007
Texas

Thanks in advance,
Tepes4

Just use this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ng-system/_/N-25y6?itemIdentifier=417325_0_0_

NONE of the double sided adhesives will work as well. All you need is a few spots with it and your good. Don't get the permatex brand, its trash.

Also, if you have a laserjet you can sprinkle black toner in the epoxy mix and it blends up black and you won't notice it so much.

I should have also mentioned that once applied under the screen put it face down with some weight on it overnight for best results. Any excess that might protrude out from the edges of the frame can be scraped away with an exacto but it is MUCH easier to do while it is still wet. (first 5 minutes).

Last edited:

Tepes4

Jun 14, 2008
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
OnePlus 9
When the glue is hot it will make things easier to stick or remove and When it cools down again it should be better stuck, just make sure your phone is powered off, you don't wanna overheat it while switched on.

I use the same method when applying screen protectors, as it helps stick down the parts that are harder to stick, curved edge.

from my ⊙N€ X

Hey intel007,

used your method last night, switched off the phone, heated the screen sides with a blow dryer (on the low setting-don't want to cause damage) and applied as even pressure as I could by using plastic clothes pegs on the both sides of the sceen and also the top and bottom. Left it like that for the whole night and when I checked in the morning I was happy to see that the screen seemed to have stuck. But unfortunately, as I was using the phone during the day, I had the same issue again. Will try again tonight by using the same heat but for more time since I was afraid I might damage the screen if I had it on for too long.

As for the hx4700 Killer 's suggestion... Dude! aren't you a bit drastic! Your solution is like the last resort since in order to do that I will have to lift the glass risking dust getting between the lcd and the glass. How else would I be able to get a few drops of glue over there?

BTW anyone aware of a case that would apply pressure on the screen bezel but be able to fit the kidigi car mount?

Thanks for your help guys!
Tepes4

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
I was wondering, has anyone used hot glue to fix the glass to the frame? The stuff used at the factory seems
a lot like some plastic glue variety... I guess it would protect from dust and moisture pretty well, but how to apply just little enough not to get it to go everywhere?..

Last edited:

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
I was wondering, has anyone used hot glue to fix the glass to the frame? The stuff used at the factory seems
a lot like some plastic glue variety... I guess it would protect from dust and moisture pretty well, but how to apply just little enough not to get it to go everywhere?..
Don't use hot glue. Could end up being a mess. Use 3M double sided adhesive, we carry it on our website for 2.99. Hot glue would be hard to apply without seeping in places you may not want it to go.

Reactions: arteme

nicklefloss

Jun 15, 2010
Htc one x screen

I have a question, I bought a new glass/lcd combo, and the screen didn't even come on. when I went to ebay (where I originally bought the screen) there were other sellers with some what the same screen that had instructions saying that you have to keep the Original screen plugged in then switch to the new screen and it would work fine. Well my is when I took out the original I tossed it in the trash. Is there anyway around this probkem?

arteme

Nov 27, 2009
I have a question, I bought a new glass/lcd combo, and the screen didn't even come on. when I went to ebay (where I originally bought the screen) there were other sellers with some what the same screen that had instructions saying that you have to keep the Original screen plugged in then switch to the new screen and it would work fine. Well my is when I took out the original I tossed it in the trash. Is there anyway around this probkem?

The procedure they describe is usually required when you change the screen to one from a different manufacturer.

I would suggest you disconnect the battery, wait a bit, connect the battery back and try turning the phone on again. You may need to peel away some foil to get to the battery connector, depending on the make of your device. This has always worked for me -- I never had to do the magic swapping routine because I always disconnect the battery.

You may however also have burnt the video chip in the swap (I know, I have done so) by operating on the phone when you think the screen is off, but in reality it is not and shorting something out, or killing it with static electricity by not observing safety measures (must people on YouTube don't observe them and seem to get away with it). I sincerely hope this is not the case, but if it is, I'm afraid I have no idea what can be done now. I have a device like that myself - it makes a beautiful paper press. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RepairsUniverse compiled a written repair guide to repair a damaged screen or other internal components on your HTC One X. This detailed take apart guide will walk you through each step on how to disassemble and replace the damaged parts on your One X.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC One X part(s):
    • HTC One X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC One X LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips (for touch screen repair)
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC One X Repair Guide:
    • First, use a safe open pry tool to begin releasing the back housing. Start at the bottom of the device and work your way around the edges, applying pressure to pop the case off. With all 3 sides released you can pull the device from the back cover. Be cautious as the battery is often adhered to the housing and will need to be removed with the rest of the device.
    • Once the back cover had been removed, we can now remove the small plastic housing located near the camera. Used Small Phillips screwdriver then remove the five (5) screws shown in red on figure 1.

htc-one-x-1a.jpg

Figure 1​

• There will be one (1) more small Phillips screws that will be located at the bottom of the motherboard, near the battery, that will need to be removed.
    • Start releasing all the connections located on the motherboard. Release the single pop connector and jaw connector located on the top of the motherboard (shown in orange in figure 1).
    • Release the power button flex cable and volume button flex cable from the housing. These will be lightly adhered to the housing (shown in green in figure 1).
    • You can now lightly lift the motherboard up, being careful as it is still attached with flex cables. The battery can also be swung out, revealing two (2) more connection on the skinny part of the motherboard. Release these two connections and remove the motherboard and battery from the device (shown in figure 2).

htc-one-x-2a.jpg

Figure 2​

• Use a heat gun or hair dryer to start warming the front of the screen assembly. Work around the outside edges of the screen on medium heat for about 45 seconds. This will soften the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the housing.
    • Once the screen is properly heated you can use a safe open pry tool to being lifting the screen assembly away from the housing. Be sure to lift both screens out at the same time.
    • After the screens are partially released, be sure the flex cables are fed through the housing. Remove the screen assembly.
    • Use the heat gun or hair dryer again to warm the seal between the touch screen and LCD screen. Use quick movements for about 30 seconds. Once this is complete, use a safe open pry tool to carefully separate the screens.
    • You can now replace the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
    Thanks for the information. Very curious to know if this is really a original screen, if so I can order one for a friend of mine, who has a One X with a broken screen. Hopefully you can take some pictures once you installed it, I am especially interesed in the viewing angles of this screen.

Right screen fitted, it IS an original, fitted it, spot on!! Will put photos on when I can :good:

Viewing Angle Perfect!!

Link to photos below, unfortunetly cannot post links as I am a new user

w w w.d r o p b o x . c o m/sh/oq40am214eep0zj/RjTdlBGNH4/HTC%20One%20X%20Screen

Hope this helps everyone in sourcing a screen
    Well, at first thank you repair universe for your guide! It was useful for me!
    I repaired successfully my HTC One X and now it's great!

I'd like to share my experiences with you guys hoping that they'll be useful for you.
    Replacing the screen ain't an easy thing as you can easily understand but if you are very patient and good at this kind of things, and you are going to follow this guide, you can try.
    The most hard part was to find a good seller who can deliver you an Original HTC OEM product!
    Infact, most of the seller will send you a chinese crap item that will break in 4/5 month of usage and it's far from being an authentical Gorilla Glass Screen! I went over 4 refunds before getting a genuine one.
    The reliable seller that I found is express-homeshop, and you can visit it through the links that I've posted before; I believe that there are also some other shops where you can find authentical original screens..
    However if you need to know the difference between a crap and an original one, the method to find out if your screen is original is :

1)the screen must be as dark as the original cracked one if it's off!!
    2)you have to put a finger on the glass and another on the LCD panel and press. If it doesn't appear anything on the screen then it's original, otherwise you will get a "reverse bubble" effect which will turn on damaging the touch panel (crappy chinese products).
    3)The original units have three backlights conductive paths made in plastic, located between the glass and the lcd panel, that will redirect your backlights to the right place (otherwise they'll be shifted of about 0,5cm from the capacitive button place)
    4)The HTC logo on the top of the glass must be as tall as your cracked original screen (chinese's one is taller)
    5)The crappy unit is slightly thicker than the original and as soon as you reassembly the phone you will do notice that!! the screen will be higher than the plastic and it will cause a different feel of the phone and an increased probability to break your screen.

with this method you should distinguish a good assembly from a crappy one! They are very different as you can notice!

I strongly suggest you to take an original piece (even if it costs a little bit more 90€ against 160€) because the difference is very very noticeable (I had both original and crappy).

Don't believe to sellers who tell you that "it's original" without sending you photos of the real product. You need the photos and my method to be sure to purchase an original unit.
    And be sure that they will offer you a refund in case anything goes wrong!
    In fact, most of the sellers don't even know that their product is not original!

I hope that this will be helpful for you unlucky people with broken screen like I was before! :)

Now I leave you some photos of my new amazing original screen next to my old cracked one! :)

Regards!
    Yes this is possible. These screens are not fused together but held by adhesive. You will need to apply heat on the front touchscreen too loosen the adhesive. Good luck with the repair.
    The screen for the international and AT&T version are the same except for the fact that they have a different logo in the front as far as I know...
    However I successfully repaired my phone by myself...
    The piece I bought was original HTC!
    Now my phone is repaired and I M very happy with it...
    Ps if you need any photo of my repaired phone just ask...

Inviato dal mio HTC One X

Glad to hear your repair went well!