root Tattoo with Mac

Search This thread

mrbjoernson

Jun 15, 2010
Hey Boys and Girls,

where i can find an manual to root the tattoo with a mac?

sorry, i have search for this, but i cant find information for this:confused:

dancer_69

Jan 2, 2007
I don't thing that there is a difference.
As soon as you have SDK installed and adb works, the commands are the same.

kongkows

Mar 9, 2010
hi,
i'm also doing all the rooting process from mac, just put the directory contain 'adb' shell into your home/user places and executing it with 'terminal'..

Androyonisus

May 23, 2010
Same here, using a Mac ever since and also using it for Android development. Due to the underlying Unix core of OS X you just have to follow the steps as described for Linux. If it's just adb commands it's the same on every platform anyway.

You might want to add a

Code:
export PATH=${PATH}:/Users/yourusername/android.sdk/tools

to your .bash_profile file in your home folder so you don't have to cd to the SDK tools folder everytime. Happy rooting! :)

mrbjoernson

Jun 15, 2010
Okay thanks for yours answers but i'm a newbie.

the background story is, I want to edit the boot.mp3. Because the startsound is really annoying;)

So i have download SDK, open the terminal and switch to usb-debbugging mode on my tattoo.

And now? sorry, I'm still missing a few knowledge

thanks for your help:)

Androyonisus

May 23, 2010
well just use the various adb commands in Terminal :) Just type in "adb", press enter and you'll get a list of all possible commands. Assuming you've added the path to your sdk tools folder to your bash profile. Otherwise just drag & drop the adb binary from the tools folder onto your Terminal window, et voila.

The most used commands are probably push and pull where you can, well, push stuff to your phone or pull it to your computer.

So if you want to modify the boot.mp3 you would pull the original from the phone to your computer, modify it and push it back, overwriting the original file. In Terminal speak: ;-)

adb pull /system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3

adb push /path/to/boot.mp3 /system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3

Please note depending on the ROM you're using the paths may be different. To browse the device via Terminal type in "adb shell" and make a simple "ls" to list the directories, "cd" to change directories etc.

Or if you just want to use another mp3:

adb push /path/to/whatever.mp3 /system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3

Again, on the Mac you can just drag & drop files onto the Terminal to get their full Unix paths like to your custom mp3

Last edited:

mrbjoernson

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks a lot. i love it :D its really simple;)

and now i have load and edit the the boot.mp3. But i can't push it to my tattoo, because i can only read but not write:(

I have tried to root my phone with "adb root" but it is the message "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

mrbjoernson

Jun 15, 2010
Okay i have executed the instructions. But I've stop at this part:

You should get something like this:
Code:

# id
uid=0(root) gid=1000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),3003(inet)

uid=0(root) is important.

Yes i've root:) but i'cant download the "su binary" because its doesnt exist.

But its absolute essential to need the "su binary" to only copy the boot.mp3 to my phone? Or there is an other way? What are the commands to push the boot.mp3 back to may tattoo then i'm in the root mode like >> "#".

okay hope you understand me;)

mrbjoernson

Jun 15, 2010
now, i have install the su binary. Then i does this command

user:~ user$ /Users/user/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/adb shell
$ /data/local/bin/su
#

And now? Is there a comand to push the boot.mp3 back to the phone in this mode >> "#" ?

I have try to open an new terminal window and type

adb push /path/to/boot.mp3 /system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3

but the answer is

failed to copy '/Users/android-sdk-mac_86/boot.mp3' to '/system/media/bootscreen/boot.mp3': Permission denied

and adb remount doesnt work to:(