[APP] [MOD] Isis Wallet - Now works on rooted ROMS!

Search This thread

phuckwithfire

Dec 31, 2010
SL,UT
Re: [WIP] Isis Wallet

It does work with the custom kernel, but as I did the OTA I am stuck with the stock kernel for now. I will be back on a custom kernel once there is one for the new OTA. I have been able to load on a few random things. I am going to continue working on isolating it from root in the mean time. This of course means I am constantly backing up and restoring, but I would say it is worth it.

Absolutely! I'd be forever grateful. :)

phuckwithfire

Dec 31, 2010
SL,UT

After installing a Sense 5 ROM, it now just hangs at this screen, and it's not even available in the Play Store... I'm assuming because this is a port of the One's ROM.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363492633733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363492633733.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 166

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
I'd love to say I have made headway, but as this is my daily, my time is limited. Merely denying or hiding root from it doesn't work. Today I am going to try messing with the su and busybox packages. I'll update tomorrow.

if you get me the apk, I'll reverse it and have a look.

Typically, apps like this check for su binaries and/or superuser apk's. But often they check for sane android properties, such as (but not limited to), ro.secure, ro.debuggable, etc.

andrewlyle

Jan 31, 2012
MOBILE

if you get me the apk, I'll reverse it and have a look.

Typically, apps like this check for su binaries and/or superuser apk's. But often they check for sane android properties, such as (but not limited to), ro.secure, ro.debuggable, etc.

Here you go. We appreciate the help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy8708g7g9bvcot/com.isis.mclient.verizon.activity.apk

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson

andrewlyle

Jan 31, 2012
MOBILE

uploadfromtaptalk1363570574739.jpguploadfromtaptalk1363570589107.jpg

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
View attachment 1813191View attachment 1813192

-- Thomas Jefferson

at quick glance, it's checking for

su and busybox binaries, and also Superuser.apk in:

/sbin/
/system/xbin/
/system/bin/
/data/local/xbin/
/data/local/bin/
/system/sd/xbin/
/system/bin/failsafe/
/system/app/
/system/sd/app/

Then it's also checking for test-keys in build tag

So, to test, I'd rename your SU binary to FU (don't forget owner 0.0, chmod 06755), move the location of your busybox binary (or rename it), and also delete superuser.apk and replace with supersu if possible.

Lemme know how it plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: phuckwithfire

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for this!

I've gotten past the root warning by deleting su and superuser. I'm still getting stuck with a different warning during activation - I get an email when I try and activate; I'm not sure if the secure element in my sim card isn't activating properly, or if it is because I'm on a corp. account and it is unable to provision my secure element properly (ISIS isn't supported for corp accounts).

But your statement about test-keys makes me wonder if I'm getting stuck because I've tried to run Isis on modified ROM? Can you explain about the test-keys?

Also, how difficult would it be to modify the Isis.apk to get rid of the checks for su etc.?

at quick glance, it's checking for

su and busybox binaries, and also Superuser.apk in:

/sbin/
/system/xbin/
/system/bin/
/data/local/xbin/
/data/local/bin/
/system/sd/xbin/
/system/bin/failsafe/
/system/app/
/system/sd/app/

Then it's also checking for test-keys in build tag

So, to test, I'd rename your SU binary to FU (don't forget owner 0.0, chmod 06755), move the location of your busybox binary (or rename it), and also delete superuser.apk and replace with supersu if possible.

Lemme know how it plays out.

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
It's hard to say what your problem is now, but the exact error may help. Am I understanding correctly that it's working fine for you on stock rom and not, otherwise?

Test-keys build tag MAY actually allow it to deal with root. I didn't dig through their code much other than to see it's checked in the same script that root is checked for. You can check if you are test-keys or release keys in your rom's build.prop

Thanks for this!

I've gotten past the root warning by deleting su and superuser. I'm still getting stuck with a different warning during activation - I get an email when I try and activate; I'm not sure if the secure element in my sim card isn't activating properly, or if it is because I'm on a corp. account and it is unable to provision my secure element properly (ISIS isn't supported for corp accounts).

But your statement about test-keys makes me wonder if I'm getting stuck because I've tried to run Isis on modified ROM? Can you explain about the test-keys?

Also, how difficult would it be to modify the Isis.apk to get rid of the checks for su etc.?

phuckwithfire

Dec 31, 2010
SL,UT

I'd try what was suggested, but I don't even get to the root warning screen. I'm assuming it's because I'm on a Sense 5 ROM. Also, I don't even know what to look for in the suggested directories. I'm not new to modifying phones, just new to this aspect. :x

If you're willing to give me some more detailed info on what to delete and such, I'm more than willing to test anything. I'd love to be a part of getting this going. :)

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
I'd try what was suggested, but I don't even get to the root warning screen. I'm assuming it's because I'm on a Sense 5 ROM. Also, I don't even know what to look for in the suggested directories. I'm not new to modifying phones, just new to this aspect. :x

If you're willing to give me some more detailed info on what to delete and such, I'm more than willing to test anything. I'd love to be a part of getting this going. :)

I don't know too much about it either. But I'm pretty handy at reversing apk's.

But it's hard to help if you don't provide some info. "not getting to root screen" meaning what happens exactly?

And you have ISIS sim and are in supported geo?

phuckwithfire

Dec 31, 2010
SL,UT

I don't know too much about it either. But I'm pretty handy at reversing apk's.

But it's hard to help if you don't provide some info. "not getting to root screen" meaning what happens exactly?

And you have ISIS sim and are in supported geo?

A few posts up, I posted a screen shot of where I'm stuck now. Since I flashed a Sense 5 ROM, it just hangs at the purple Verizon/Isis screen. I don't even get the "rooted device" message anymore. I do have the proper SIM, and live in SL,UT.

beaups

Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
A few posts up, I posted a screen shot of where I'm stuck now. Since I flashed a Sense 5 ROM, it just hangs at the purple Verizon/Isis screen. I don't even get the "rooted device" message anymore. I do have the proper SIM, and live in SL,UT.

Ah, ok. Custom roms are hard to troubleshoot. could be something missing in kernel, libraries, etc.

A good place to start would be to watch logcat and/or dmesg while launching isis app. Good chance you'll see error(s) that are useful.

andrewlyle

Jan 31, 2012
MOBILE

Just saw that nit plans on fixing hulu+ whenever he starts working on viper again. Wonder if this will help us out any

-- Thomas Jefferson

itsmikeyj

Feb 25, 2007
Springville
www.inevat.com
So had some issues with busybox, but here is where I am at. I have had some success in running the app with only the su binary installed if I use a root hider. What I would really like to do though is modify the ISIS app to allow root and root checker to exist. I did break the app down and remove all the checks, but now I am running into an issue with the app not being able to access the secure element.

To give a little background. I used apktool to decode the app. In Smali -> d -> a.smali, I modified the root checks to other file locations. I then built the app again and signed it with a private key. The app runs, but notes that it cannot access the secure element.

Is anyone familiar with how we would allow an app to access the secure element?

Reactions: krazya and volfan22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48556358&postcount=337 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48560885&postcount=338 for information on using Isis on the latest ROM (3.0.7)

Isis now works on the Droid DNA provided you have a SIM card that includes a NFC Secure Element (originally available only in Salt Lake and Austin, the availability is spreading throughout VZW now). However Isis won't work if you have a rooted rom (superuser and busybox) unless you take a couple extra steps:
    --------
    4.2.1 rooted roms:
    beaups has created a .zip that will install a modified isis.apk that bypasses the root checks. See this post for more information: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44513544&postcount=165

4.2.2 ROMS:
    UPDATE: Thanks to the efforts of joder and rayjr13, there is a now a working solution for Isis on 4.2.2 Roms:

See this post by joder in the SG4 forum:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45114363&postcount=1

You can also read rayjr13's instructions below from his post:
    From post by rayjr13: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45103630&postcount=264

NOS 3.0.4 includes android 4.2.2 and a rooted ROM
    in order to use the stock play store ISIS mobile wallet app please do the following:

edit the following lines and parameters in /system/build.prop:

Code:
    ro.watch.appid=com.sdgtl.watch.m7ul_50_jb
    ro.aa.project=DLX_WL_JB_50_NOS
    ro.aa.romver=1.29.651.7
    ro.aa.skulist=401
    ro.aa.mainsku=401
    ro.build.id=JZO54K
    ro.build.display.id=JZO54K
    ro.build.version.incremental=166937.7
    ro.build.version.release=4.1.2
    ro.build.description=1.29.651.7 CL166937 release-keys
    ro.build.description=1.29.651.7 CL166937 release-keys
    ro.build.changelist=166937
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon_wwe/dlx/dlx:4.1.2/JZO54K/166937.7:user/release-keys
    ro.build.project=DLX_WL_50_NOS:312285
    These changes will allow the isis app to be visible/searchable in play store [as well as pass in-app device checks]

Install Xposed Installer, Install/Update Framework in Xposed Installer app, reboot
    Install ISIS Root Bypass [1.0] or greater (see Joder's thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45114363&postcount=1,
    activate module in Xposed Installer, (soft is acceptable) reboot

Turn on NFC (should be duh, but can't tell you how many times I forgot)
    run isis app, follow instructions for account creation or reauthorization,
    DEBIT
    I just need some time to test and ill build a flashable zip. Couple days.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    Here is a recovery-flashable zip:

http://d-h.st/gS8

It contains apk modded with root-check removed, and necessary supporting frameworks and xml's. It's signed with a new key (no exploit here), so I'm not sure 100% if it will work doing it this way. I've tested on newt's GPE rom, and it does execute, but I don't (yet) have an ISIS sim to test with. Please give this a whirl and GIVE ME FEEDBACK. thanks.
    What changes did you make to the APK to remove the root checking?

I decompiled the original version and the one you posted and did a file comparison, however, nothing is popping up as different.

I am trying to get this to work on the VZW S4 with root and any help would be greatly appreciated.

well....I did it two ways. the apk I posted standalone uses masterkeys exploit, so when you decompile it, you won't see the changes.

the second way I did it (in the flashable zip), is via normal process, and then signed using my own certificate. If you decompile the apk in the flashable zip I posted, you'll see the changes. Note, that being signed with non-Verizon key may not work.

I'll have my ISIS sim today, should be able to sort through the lingering issues.
    I'm using a custom Rom probably why it's not working

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Why do I always get roped into things I don't care about? ;)

I think I found the issue for users on custom roms. Sense 5 users and also AOSP-based users can try this. Basically, this file controls what applications have access to the NFC. Verizon dna's have the file I've attached that authorizes isis to use NFC. Many custom roms (such as Newt's sense 5) use a version of this file that does NOT allow isis to use NFC. So....try this:

download and UNZIP the attached file

adb remount
    adb push nfcee_access.xml /system/etc/
    adb shell chown 0.0 /system/etc/nfcee_access.xml
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/etc/nfcee_access.xml
    adb reboot

Let me know. I'm on stock rom so cannot test that this fixes, but I'm pretty sure this should fix the issue for many of you (especially sense 5 users). Sense-based ROM users can use this in conjunction with the modded APK I provided a few posts back, if you don't feel like hiding root/etc.