Fascinate Beginner's Guide / FAQ

Search This thread

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Time to update this with adrynalyne's new skip-root Odin package for CWM.

Swyped from my Voodoo-powered Fascinate via XDA

rayropes

Nov 21, 2010
This really is a great FAQ. I rooted a while ago but am by no means a hardcore modder so I can't even remember exactly what I did back then. This is a nice little refresher since I am planning on rooting my wife's phone.

Smitty9803

Oct 19, 2010
Bravo, well done sir! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit for the new SF owners lurking around. Sure would have made things alot easier for me when I started modding.

313n703

Jan 18, 2011
Great write up. I've rooted and flashed my Fascinate flawlessly using this guide. Thanks for sharing! :)

Takafiji

Feb 21, 2010
Great write up and thank you for your time! alas I'm a beginner to android, moving from my tp2. I have one bone to pick with you and that is, you should add the button combos for entering different screens such as recovery and what not. Anyways thank you for this I truly appreciate it man!

lordshark12

Jan 25, 2011
i think i used vzw official dl09, people said it was all in one is that true? Cause i pressed the link for dl09 and it had three things to it radio, kernel, and rom, does the one i used have all in one?

To be sure the dl09 i have was released after this and i forgot but i think the person this versions just makes it easier to install the whole modem

Bitter13

Aug 19, 2010
Wow... thanks indeed. This guide just reassured and motivated me to dig in... just rooted in 10 minutes. I feel silly for not having done this sooner.

jtcampbe

Feb 21, 2011
thanks

This explained alot of the information i was looking for, I just got a Samsung showcase from cellular south and i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on what is available for the showcase. I have read that many of the things for the other galaxy s models do not work on the showcase.

Dedicated Minion

Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for the guide. I am a newbie here. I inherited a rooted motorla droid but I have no idea about any of this and I have a Fascinate coming hopefully Monday. I cannot wait to try this guide. Thanks for putting all the info in one handy place.

elguapoloco

Feb 24, 2011
Sarasota
final snafu...

First, thanks so much for an awesome intro tutorial for beginners. I used the one click mod you referenced from AC, and had no trouble flashing CWM.

I did not flash anything DJ05 or DL09, as I went directly to the froyo link you referenced http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=948722. I did get a scare when I went to update to froyo and flashed the eb01 modem (Odin hung for a half hour, and I had to disconnect and re-flash), but eventually got things worked out (whew!) and am running superclean 2.2.

My "final snafu" has to do with some of the follow up in the froyo step by step tutorial. I am attempting to update the ocean wall-paper/battery/lock using ROM Manager, but once I select "Install ROM from SD" it starts to unpack for a couple of seconds, then reboots to a Samsung recovery, and I am forced to simply reboot.

I have not done anything with kernels or voodoo. Before I dove in any further, I hoped to be chastised for my ignorance here while I have a working phone with froyo instead of messing anything up :) Thanks in advance for any insight!

My phone shows:

Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EB01
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build number: SCH-1500.EB01

ROM Manager shows ColckworkMod 2.5.0.4

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
First, thanks so much for an awesome intro tutorial for beginners. I used the one click mod you referenced from AC, and had no trouble flashing CWM.

I did not flash anything DJ05 or DL09, as I went directly to the froyo link you referenced http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=948722. I did get a scare when I went to update to froyo and flashed the eb01 modem (Odin hung for a half hour, and I had to disconnect and re-flash), but eventually got things worked out (whew!) and am running superclean 2.2.

My "final snafu" has to do with some of the follow up in the froyo step by step tutorial. I am attempting to update the ocean wall-paper/battery/lock using ROM Manager, but once I select "Install ROM from SD" it starts to unpack for a couple of seconds, then reboots to a Samsung recovery, and I am forced to simply reboot.

I have not done anything with kernels or voodoo. Before I dove in any further, I hoped to be chastised for my ignorance here while I have a working phone with froyo instead of messing anything up :) Thanks in advance for any insight!

My phone shows:

Firmware: 2.2.1
Baseband: S:i500.04 V.EB01
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build number: SCH-1500.EB01

ROM Manager shows ColckworkMod 2.5.0.4

Looks like you got an old version of clockwork. There's a newer (red one) Made by JT. Flash this with Odin like you did with the radio. (remember only use the PDA section! :) )
http://db.tt/6dZUc7d

That should get your clockwork running correctly.
PS if you end up in the samsung recovery - just select apply update.zip; that will bring you to clockwork recovery.

Last edited:

elguapoloco

Feb 24, 2011
Sarasota
Much thanks! I had surmised as much earlier today, and flashed a new CWM, so now it reflects version 3.0.0.8. When I attempted to install the downloaded ROM from my SD, I rebooted into a red recovery (yay!).....which then told me there was a scripting error in the ROM. Selecting update.zip brought me to clockwork mod recovery, where I tried to install again only to get the same message, lol. Don't know if I got a corrupted file, but I found the ocean wave theme (which is what I was really after) on the market, so I wasn't worried about it. Now, I just have to find something worthwhile to flash to test out my new clockwork :) Thanks again!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. I haven't been able to maintain this beginners' guide, but I highly recommend the following two threads:

Droidstyle's guide has anything and everything you need to get rooted:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

User jawman27 has put together a glossary to help new users understand rooting terminology:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1513143

Enjoy.
    Will this work for the Samsung mesmerise from us cellular?

Sent from my SCH-I500
    Thank you for this beginner's guide. I'm new to flashing and rooting but following your instructions and links, I now have a sweet android phone I can call my own.
    Running JT super-clean and Stupid Fast overclocked with upgraded DJ05

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
    Time to update this with adrynalyne's new skip-root Odin package for CWM.

Swyped from my Voodoo-powered Fascinate via XDA

I updated with a link to it.

I think the old method is still easier for people just starting out getting their phones rooted though.