[Q] root for 4.4.2

Search This thread

broazny

Nov 7, 2013
hey rooters and devs is there a stable 4.4.2 root out right now for verzion without tripping knox?
i took the update to 4.4.2 and i cant even touch mu phone since it sucks makes random noises like a dot when clicking something.
Also, when will be able to start flashing custom roms or 4.4.2. i bricked my phone like 3 times since i didnt unlock the boot loader but now i can actually flash the roms.
TL,DR root for 4.4.2 without tripping know
when will we be able to flash cyanogenmod

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
hey rooters and devs is there a stable 4.4.2 root out right now for verzion without tripping knox?
i took the update to 4.4.2 and i cant even touch mu phone since it sucks makes random noises like a dot when clicking something.
Also, when will be able to start flashing custom roms or 4.4.2. i bricked my phone like 3 times since i didnt unlock the boot loader but now i can actually flash the roms.

The only root exploit for VRUDNE1 4.4.2 that works on our phone is "Towelroot" by Geohot which is in the S5 section.

Once rooted, these things apply to everyone on VRUDNE1 4.4.2 as well as anyone on 4.3 VRUCML1 or VRUCNC1 OTAs:

a) You can NOT install a custom recovery (No CWM, No TWRP, nothing)
b) You can NOT install any AOSP rom
c) You can NOT install a custom kernel
d) Only an unofficial version of Safestrap can be used on VRUDNE1. This is not a custom recovery, Safestrap is NOT a custom recovery.
e) As of 8:50 EST, there is no custom VRUDNE1 TouchWiz rom to install. Safestrap hijacks the bootprocess and only uses the stock kernel, in your case stock VRUDNE1 4.4.2 kernel, in order to boot other custom TouchWiz roms. Only VRUDNE1 roms would be able to successfully flash on your phone. But none exist yet.

Literally all that you can do as of this post is root, debloat, install Safestrap, and hope that you will be able to use custom VRUDNE1 based TouchWiz roms.

Reactions: broazny

broazny

Nov 7, 2013
back to 4.3

will i be able to odin back to 4.3 without tripping knox and locking the bootloader?
The only root exploit for VRUDNE1 4.4.2 that works on our phone is "Towelroot" by Geohot which is in the S5 section.

Once rooted, these things apply to everyone on VRUDNE1 4.4.2 as well as anyone on 4.3 VRUCML1 or VRUCNC1 OTAs:

d) Only an unofficial version of Safestrap can be used on VRUDNE1. This is not a custom recovery, Safestrap is NOT a custom recovery.
e) As of 8:50 EST, there is no custom VRUDNE1 TouchWiz rom to install. Safestrap hijacks the bootprocess and only uses the stock kernel, in your case stock VRUDNE1 4.4.2 kernel, in order to boot other custom TouchWiz roms. Only VRUDNE1 roms would be able to successfully flash on your phone. But none exist yet.

Literally all that you can do as of this post is root, debloat, install Safestrap, and hope that you will be able to use custom VRUDNE1 based TouchWiz roms.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
thank you very much, do you know when the devs will be able to find a way to downgrade or unlock the bootloader

I'll be blunt with you, I sincerely doubt that's being actively worked on for our 2 year old device. The bootloader has yet to be unlocked on the S4 which has had an active bounty with numerous devs so its not happening here. If AOSP means that much to you, sell your S3 for a bootloader unlocked S3 or get another device which has less hurdles to get AOSP.

Edit: Or you can email these guys at MobileTechVideos and see if their S3 bootloader downgrade process works on 4.4.2. It is a paid service either way, but some people have considered this when on 4.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: broazny and jcbjoe

jcbjoe

Apr 17, 2011
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 7
I'll be blunt with you, I sincerely doubt that's being actively worked on for our 2 year old device. The bootloader has yet to be unlocked on the S4 which has had an active bounty with numerous devs so its not happening here. If AOSP means that much to you, sell your S3 for a bootloader unlocked S3 or get another device which has less hurdles to get AOSP.

Edit: Or you can email these guys at MobileTechVideos and see if their S3 bootloader downgrade process works on 4.4.2. It is a paid service either way, but some people have considered this when on 4.3.

Is there any successes to this downgrade of the bootloader of the link that you sent? I'm not on a s4 I'm on a SCH-I535 sgs3 same as s4 if I'm correct.. Correct me if I'm wrong s4 and s3 have a lot of the same stuff

Last edited:

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Is there any successes to this downgrade of the bootloader of the link that you sent? I'm not on a s4 I'm on a SCH-I535 sgs3 same as s4 if I'm correct.. Correct me if I'm wrong s4 and s3 have a lot of the same stuff

I haven't seen anyone report back on having used this. I figured someone would have done so and posted on xda but, nothing. That link is for the Verizon S3 btw. The S4 was mentioned just for comparison purposes only.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
I haven't seen anyone report back on having used this. I figured someone would have done so and posted on xda but, nothing. That link is for the Verizon S3 btw. The S4 was mentioned just for comparison purposes only.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I originally saw it on XDA. Josh inadvertently reverted one while doing a JTag service. He was able to reproduce it several times in testing. Most don't even know about it till they brick their device and need JTag service. :cool:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thank you very much, do you know when the devs will be able to find a way to downgrade or unlock the bootloader

will i be able to odin back to 4.3 without tripping knox and locking the bootloader?

No, you can not downgrade once on 4.4.2 VRUDNE1.