Can this Root Droid 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Darksurf

Mar 15, 2010
I've already removed all the verizon bloatware except my verizon. Then I removed their stupid backup client utility. That was redundant considering google already backs up everything to your gmail account anyway. I'm a little too leery of removing the blur bloat tho.

Matthileo

Apr 19, 2009
Wichita, KS
I've already removed all the verizon bloatware except my verizon. Then I removed their stupid backup client utility. That was redundant considering google already backs up everything to your gmail account anyway. I'm a little too leery of removing the blur bloat tho.

Same here about the blur stuff. I removed all of it and started getting FCs every time I tried to open someone's quick contact menu.

I don't think the blur stuff does anything unless you're using the blur accounts though

[sent from my droid]

escalavee

Sep 22, 2010
Somewhere in Michigan
Many thanks to all the devs that worked so hard to achieve root. I have been following this thread from day one, and it has been really exciting, even though I have just been cheering from the sidelines! Great job, djrbliss! A donation will be made by me as soon as I can.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Shoop_D_Woop

Aug 3, 2011
Now my D3 is freezing up aok the time. Why!!??!? I'm having to restart all the time! :(

Sent from my rooted DROID3 using XDA Premium App

Shoop_D_Woop

Aug 3, 2011
What did you remove/freeze/rename/edit? With more information some1 will be able to assist you.

Check the General threads for more info.

-smc

I didn't remove anything! I think my overclock widget was refreshing too much, I turned down the refresh rate and it cleared it up.

Also, need help finding a version of clockworkmod or some other recovery tool for the D3.

Sent from my rooted DROID 3 using XDA premium app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm getting so antsy for root :p
    TeamBlackHat, where are you...

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA Premium App

Just want to make it clear that TBH has a lot of resources and experience with Motorola devices and we understand the firmware and access tool very well. We also have engineering devices for many older models, which allows us to play around safely and to use clever tricks to root successive builds for phones that already have a rooted build to start from.

We do not have any special skills for gaining root on a new device without an exploit, despite the fact that we understand how the process works.

We will be here to help however we can and hope some of our experience will be useful, but don't want to foster any false expectations. We have some leads for the SBF file that so far have not produced results, unfortunately.

We will keep trying...

There are a lot of very sharp folks working on this and that is what it's going to take to succeed...there is no magic bullet.
    Here's all our mounts, not that it'll help but may give some indications of where to look...

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/system /system ext3 ro,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/userdata /data ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/cache /cache ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

tmpfs /data/tmp tmpfs rw,relatime,size=2048k 0 0

/dev/block/pds /pds ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/preinstall /preinstall ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard-ext vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/mnt/sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext ecryptfs rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ecryptfs_sig=965d636a1919f059,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough,no_new_encrypted 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:57 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:57 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

/mnt/sdcard /mnt/sdcard ecryptfs rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ecryptfs_sig=965d636a1919f059,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32,ecryptfs_passthrough,no_new_encrypted 0 0

/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.dgo.VitalPlayer-2 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    one of the ones i thought might work was www.exploit-db.com/exploits/8673
    we'd need to precompile the .c file that it creates & then executes in the line beginning with "echo\" (just after the includes), and convert the shell code. it may have been patched in our kernel, but we wont know unless we try it, right?

i thought there was another one, but i cant seem to find it any more

Don't bother - this vulnerability has been patched, I verified this in the available kernel source.

Hi, I'm the original author of the full-nelson kernel exploit linked earlier (the one that leverages Econet). To be clear, that exploit will not work on this phone because it requires causing an OOPS to trigger an exploitable condition, and this kernel has panic_on_oops enabled, meaning the kernel will not continue running in such a scenario.

Rooting this device is going to take more work than just browsing exploit-db and hoping to find an exploit that works. There are no public exploits, kernel or userland, that will work on the kernel shipped with this phone.

I'm willing to invest some time into auditing the Android application stack and kernel to find a suitable vulnerability that can root the device (I do this professionally). I don't have access to a physical device, so in the event that I find a usable vulnerability, I may need a hand in actually testing exploit code. I also won't refuse a donated test device. ;-)
    I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE ROOT IF ANYONE CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:

File 'fileX' needs to contain 2 cmds (ex - cmd1...;cmd2... aka - cp file /dir; cp file2 /dir) such that you can do the following in terminal and both commands run:

EDIT: when i say contains.. it shoudl be a simple txt file that all it has in it is the 2 'cp' cmds

Code:
    testing=`cat fileX`
    $testing

if you can answer this.. then i should be able to provide root.

Thank you.