[Q] Can OUYA work as a full-feature mediacenter?

Search This thread

Alexsandra

May 11, 2011
Shanghai
Ouya can decode DTS mkv, I just tested it and my home theater received a PCM audio stream (analog settings on xbmc audio output) and then tested the same mkv with digital signal pass through to my home theater (digital HDMI audio output in xbmc settings) that decoded it fine.

Only thing is that if ouya decode the DTS signal, I have PCM 2 channels audio, if my home theater decode it, I have DTS 5.1 channels audio (my HT is only 5.1).

For the records, I use xbmc 13.0 alpha6 from july 14 2013.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

You get static noise because your ouya is passing through the digital signal to your TV or HT to decode the signal. And clearly your receiver is not able to decode the audio stream. You have to change the audio setting output of xbmc to "analog" in order to let xbmc decode it before sending it out to your TV or HT.

Thanks for your detail reply. Can you please tell me the place where you downloaded XBMC you are currently using? It seems that there are two versions of XBMC. One is Android version, another one is Ouya version.

Thanks

Thanks for your detail reply. Can you please tell me the place where you downloaded XBMC you are currently using? It seems that there are two versions of XBMC. One is Android version, another one is Ouya version.

Thanks

I use the hardware accelerated version of xbmc for android (stagefright).
See the official repository: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/
Mine is from july 14.

There is also a xbmc version on ouya store, but I do not have tested it.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I use the hardware accelerated version of xbmc for android (stagefright).
See the official repository: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/
Mine is from july 14.
There is also a xbmc version on ouya store, but I do not have tested it.

The Ouya store version (now at 12.3.3) has removed DTS/Dolby decoding (licensing issues) - otherwise it's working just fine.
The older version 12.3.2 is floating around for sideloading...does not have the restriction above.
On my setup (12.3.2) the receiver source flip works for DTS once I start the movie...it's not convenient, but it's only 3 clicks of a button.

Question for you dalamario: the Gotham betas, do they show an error for audio passtrough (in System/Audio) as every Frodo I tried?
And I suppose I can't flip between 12 and 13 without a reinstall - PITA to set everything up again or copy the data folder.

Last edited:
Question for you dalamario: the Gotham betas, do they show an error for audio passtrough (in System/Audio) as every Frodo I tried?
And I suppose I can't flip between 12 and 13 without a reinstall - PITA to set everything up again or copy the data folder.

I suppose that the Gotham beta I use do not show any error as I never saw errors coming from xbmc. Which kind of errors do you have on system/audio?
One time I had to uninstall xbmc before upgrading it because the updating was giving me error, but I don't remember if it was when I switched from xbmc 12 to xbmc 13 or not.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Which kind of errors do you have on system/audio?

When I look at the System/Audio page, I see "Error, no device present" next to the "Passtrough" selection. I don't get error messages, maybe should have made that clearer.

Just curious: if you have not installed in a while, how do you keep the size of the data folder in check? Do you run one of those clean-up scripts that wipes out the thumbnails and cached images?

TIA

When I look at the System/Audio page, I see "Error, no device present" next to the "Passtrough" selection. I don't get error messages, maybe should have made that clearer.

Just curious: if you have not installed in a while, how do you keep the size of the data folder in check? Do you run one of those clean-up scripts that wipes out the thumbnails and cached images?

TIA

My system/audio page is as screenshot below:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382385461.833060.jpg

I don't run any script, my data folder on data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc is around 100Mb, the one on storage/sdcard0/android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc is around 150Mb, not much to bother me. Perhaps my movies collection is too small to give problem.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
My system/audio page is as screenshot below:

Much appreciated...I'm actually at work (yeah, I know, I should not be posting on XDA :) ) but I can definitely tell you the 12.3.x screen has a ton of other options/selections.
I might give XBMC 13 a shot after all - I don't remember when it's going in beta/ RC stage.

PS. The thumbs and image cache are mostly from Navi-X and YouTube (i use those daily, unlike my NAS movie collection, for which I set NO THUMBS). Personally I wish there was an option to stop this image grabbing as I usually don't care about movie sheets and or posters.
My XMBC folder in on Ouya is 600MB and growing - I do have a ton of addons.

rosietastic

Jul 28, 2013
I run a 519r2 StockPlus ROM on the Ouya and with CIFS attach to my NAS to stream HD and SD material with XBMC Gotham (using the alpha nightly builds). These builds include libstagefright hardware decoding, and since 1.0.519 firmware, I can now stream interlaced/non-interlaced SD and HD stuff with no problem.
High Bit Rate 1080p HD material is fine across wired ethernet, but I only have Analog audio output (over HDMI).
Also, the old 'tuxbox' source streaming feature of XMBC works really well (especially as broadcast HD is 1080i format), so I can stream from Linux based Enigma2 satellite receivers.
This is all really shaping up well on the Ouya.

Tycho-X

Oct 18, 2013
Dont mean to be rude but i dont think you are objektive here.

My guess would be that someone is asking if xbmc on ouya is good media-player solution or not. As the sideloaded (read non Ouya version) of XBMC isnt playing a LOT of movies correctly which my raspberries plays without any problems i deem Ouya+XBMC not a proper media solution atm. In addition the still missing CEC support is a killer by itself. And if you use a lean skin for xbmc the lag is absolutely ok (try "Bello" skin or use the stock skin)

Then having to succumb to the most draconic and moronic TOS and company behaviour on the market is a big minus in my opinion too. (i know you can run custom firmware)

I dont know what files you are unable to play but i am using mine a lot for Multimedia and didnt have any issues with audio at all. I know that some special dts Formats are incompatible for now. Surly there are some things about ouya that many of us don't like but that's not the point here.

See above. I think its a good thing a potential buyer who just wants a good media player solution knows about the current limitations and also about the "non-open" company policies.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that XBMC on Ouya does regulary crash too while my OpenElec on Raspberry is rock solid. And Audio passthrough is not working at all.

Last edited:
I have been using my ouya for about a month as my living room media center, mainly for XBMC but also some lite game usage. As someone mentioned, the 12.3.3 build does indeed disable DTS and AC3 decoding support, but 12.3.2 works brilliantly (if you need the apk pm me). OUYA claims that passthrough support can work and is being worked on, but I don't use a receiver so meh.

As for stability, mine is on almost all day and have never seen a crash to date. I did try the Gotham alpha8 and 9 builds and they seem to work nicely except the controls are a bit lacking and some of the widgets are broken, but this should be fixed in the future from what I understand.

Loving my OUYA, Cheers

Last edited:

BoarK

Nov 28, 2013
Confirm support for rmvb.

Hi all,

Can some one please confirm the OP question whether Ouya XBMC supports rmvb playback?

Thanks.

bluesy_92

Jun 5, 2011
Moto G 5G
I use my Ouya as my media center. All of my movies (DVD rips, bluray rips, and some digital downloads I converted using AVC) are in .mp4 format, encoded with x264 video and 128kbps stereo aac audio, in 320p (with the horizontal resolution changed to matched the aspect ratio)

I don't have a surround sound system, and I aim for smaller file sizes, since I also use these videos on my phone and tablet, which is why I am using 320p x264 with stereo, rather than 5.1, audio. But I've heard it works fine with high-bitrate media, too. I just don't personally use, or need, it.

Although, the 8gb internal storage is abysmal. I recommend getting an external flash drive, or hard drive, and using that.

I no longer use optical media at all - I find my Ouya with XBMC does make for a good media center. The interface is smooth, I've experienced no choppiness, and with the promises of HDMI audio pass-through in future updates, running a 720p bluray rip with 5.1 audio shouldn't be a concern. Being that the Tegra 3 isn't the most powerful chipset, I'm not sure how it would fare with extremely high bitrates, such as high-bitrate 1080p or 3D movies, but even then...is that really necessary? A 4:3 dvd with a cinema-ratio movie encodes to 304x720...so even 304p is "DVD quality" and easily watchable, if encoded right.

I also understand that XBMC can read disc image (iso) files, although for space concerns - I just rip the DVD itself. I don't find the extra features and menus necessary, and I'm willing to toss them for the benefit of an entirely digital library, so I haven't tried this functionality. If someone else here has, they can probably chime in on how well it works - if at all - on the Ouya build.

Last edited:
Hi people

I've not read the entire thread, but I'm wondering if anyone could stream 1080p movie through ethernet to OUYA using the Plex Media Server and the plex ouya app?
If so, can any share settings, or recommendations?
I'm getting lots of hiccups even with 720p or less, and I have an i5, 16gb ram, etc.

Thanks

I've chimed in before on this topic, but figure it is time for an update. I have a number of OUYA devices, about 20 to be exact, that I use in my home, church, and classes; all of which I use with XBMC—now named KODI—to play various videos. I could not be happier with the performance of these devices, well I could, but my improvements are slight so meh.

The device can do 720P brilliantly and 1080P as well, though I do see hiccups from time to time with 1080P. I, like bluesy, have most of my media on HDDs, but I also have a fair bit on DVD/Bluray. For those that use optical media to store files, consider sharing the disc on your network from a PC; this way you get the benefit of using optical media, without the need for a kernel module (of which I have never seen to date.) One thing to consider is the OUYA does NOT do hardware MPEG2 playback, this means that DVDs and the like are likely to not playback smoothly. One could use Handbrake or another app to make a backup of said media and stream that to your OUYA.

On the network side of things, I suggest using an Ethernet connection, this is not due to a limitation on the device, since WiFi often introduces a fair amount of lag and has horrible throughput compared to an Ethernet connection. Additionally, stay away from sharing files via SMB (Windows Shares) as the service has a huge amount of overhead that is simply not needed, instead, try out NFS. HanewinNFS is a FREE NFS server for windows that works remarkably well and I have included my config setup for those that are interested. Do note that it is optimized to run with my computer (Quad-core Atom), so you might benefit from further tweaking.

hanewinnfs-config-0.png

As for a way to start it automatically on boot or return to it from any other application, check out BootyCall. Not only am I the author of it, but also a user. ;)
bootycall-application-1.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you want to use your ouya exclusively as mediacenter you can start xbmc with a autorun-app, don't know what it's called tho.
    only culprit is that the button layout isnt quite optimal when using ouya controller but i'm using my cellphone with yatse installed and as a media-solution this couldn't be any better.

not only 720p but even 1080P movies (shared from my nas) are being played like a charm and if you*'e into 3D the ouya should be able to handle most formats, too...but didn't try that, since my tv doens't support it ;)
    I run a 519r2 StockPlus ROM on the Ouya and with CIFS attach to my NAS to stream HD and SD material with XBMC Gotham (using the alpha nightly builds). These builds include libstagefright hardware decoding, and since 1.0.519 firmware, I can now stream interlaced/non-interlaced SD and HD stuff with no problem.
    High Bit Rate 1080p HD material is fine across wired ethernet, but I only have Analog audio output (over HDMI).
    Also, the old 'tuxbox' source streaming feature of XMBC works really well (especially as broadcast HD is 1080i format), so I can stream from Linux based Enigma2 satellite receivers.
    This is all really shaping up well on the Ouya.
    Yes the ouya plays 720p movies well. I use xbmc at the time. I was thinking about the ouya or the raspberry pi and I am glad I bought the ouya. The ouya, for my use and purposes, is an awesome media center. The internal storage is small but it has a usb port. Xbmc has support for a network attached storage (nas) which is what I use. The ouya also has the added benefit of games. For only $99.99, I recommend the ouya for your current situation. It also has low power usage and it is highly portable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    Ouya can play 1080P movie? It sounds great. My laptop doesn't support 1080P very well. Not smooth. If ouya really can play 1080P movie(MKV) smoothly,it really exceeds my expectations.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

i didn't have any issues with fullhd-mkvs yet. for all i know there are some culprits with surround sound, but didn't notice anything major up to now.

you can without any problem plug your sd card reader/usb-harddrive/etc to your ouya. the device will be mounted to /media/usb

if you want you could even use a dvd-drive for your ouya, as long as you are willing to compile the needed module for your kernel.
    didn't try it yet, but atrix with tegra 2 was able to do this, so ouya with tegra 3 should be able, too ;)
    I have ordered one from Amazon US and I am now eager to wait for shipping it to China.:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app