After Update Lumina keeps launching search/voice search

Search This thread

eknutson

Jan 26, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
*sigh* started happening to me a couple of days ago. Very annoying and at times unusable. Wish I knew if it was HW or SW so I could figure out what action to take.

ohyamon

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego
I know its pain and a last resort, but have any of you tried a hard reset. This should generally be done after any system update as it usually fixes most software glitches that might occurr. It just takes time to reinstall your apps and you lose your texts, but its still better than having all of those little irritating issues and if it works it saves the hassles of returning the phone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I know its pain and a last resort, but have any of you tried a hard reset.

Yes, I did it and has no effect. These button issues are hardware problem as I suspected. They may or may not be worked around by a firmware (but tweaking the way how those button press are registered) change. Hard reset can only resolve issues in general OS level. This is purely firmware level problem.

The real solutioin here is to exchange the phone. I will do it tomorrow. Finding a store who has the phone (especially the Cyan one) in store is the chanllenge.

ohfoxxxycole

Dec 12, 2010
this is annoying but it only happens when the speaker is playing anything (music, games, video, etc)
support are aware of the problem and are working on it

ohyamon

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego
I had a case on my Titan that was the cause of similar issues. The rubber around the bottom of my screen was creating all sorts of problems but mostly not registering my inputs. I just changed cases and all problems went away. Just a thought...

eknutson

Jan 26, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
I had a case on my Titan that was the cause of similar issues. The rubber around the bottom of my screen was creating all sorts of problems but mostly not registering my inputs. I just changed cases and all problems went away. Just a thought...

Very interesting thought, and worth a try! So, I took off my Case-Mate case from the AT&T store - but I was able to recreate the issue =/

What I found, doesn't rule out the case, either!

I could fairly regularly get the issue to occur by lightly touching (not pressing) both the volume rocker and the power button on the side. This was very interesting because I had been paying particular attention to the bottom buttons figuring they were being touched - but my fingers were nowhere near them. I'll continue investigating and tell people what I find, if anything.

I'm going to a 'Behind the Tiles' event tonight, maybe I'll even get a chance to bring up the issue, just to see if anyone there has any insight.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Yes, I did it and has no effect. These button issues are hardware problem as I suspected. They may or may not be worked around by a firmware (but tweaking the way how those button press are registered) change. Hard reset can only resolve issues in general OS level. This is purely firmware level problem.

The real solutioin here is to exchange the phone. I will do it tomorrow. Finding a store who has the phone (especially the Cyan one) in store is the chanllenge.
So firmware is now hardware? Didn't know that. Always though firmware was software.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
So firmware is now hardware? Didn't know that. Always though firmware was software.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

The firmware here refers to the very low level stuff (like the BIOS on your PC). It is not part of OS but tightly related to the hardware it supports. For example, the camera has its own firmware. wifi/BT chips have their own firmware. Here the capacitive buttons have its own firmware (much like PC keyboard has its own firmware as part of keyboard hardware) that interprets capacitive touches on those buttons into button clicks for the system.

Anyway, I exchanged my phone today and the new phone has none of the issues I experienced before. So for those of you have the issue, exchange your phone ASAP. 30-day is quickly approaching.

I have to try two different AT&T stores to find one in stock for exchange.

eknutson

Jan 26, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Talked to several MS folks at a 'Behind the Tiles' event last night, all of them said to return the phone and exchange it for a new one. That behavior isn't normal nor is it being addressed by MS or Nokia (that they know of).

Cj Thunder

Nov 18, 2011
Same issue here. Mostly during Zune, games or apps. Search and Tellme comes up randomly and when I push back it is a long push, always. I hope it is software, setting up a phone and apps is a lengthly process now.

Well I have two friends that both have the phone and are not having these issues neither before nor after the update. Therefore they have been telling me it was hardware and not software. One of them had the issue with the Samsung focus and said that it was something moving around inside the phone pressing the buttons. This makes since but I gave my phone a pretty good shake and I can't hear anything moving around. I've also heard of people having a rattling noise when the phone vibrates. Maybe the issues could be related but this is all hypothetical. I don't what it is......

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Done the Vibration test within the diagnostics, no rattle. Phone is solid otherwise.

I know its pain and a last resort, but have any of you tried a hard reset. This should generally be done after any system update as it usually fixes most software glitches that might occurr. It just takes time to reinstall your apps and you lose your texts, but its still better than having all of those little irritating issues and if it works it saves the hassles of returning the phone.

I might as well get a new phone, at least then I have a new phone along with the hassle of setting it up. We really need a good transfer tool. OS settings, Songs, Apps, app settings and passwords, and game saves. Lots of time...poof!

Last edited:

marcham93

Apr 5, 2011
New York
www.about.me
Just thought I would chime in and say I am having the same issue.

Restarting the phone usually seems to fix the issue for the most part.

I'm really hoping it's software/firmware since a simple restart helps the phone.

Would be nice if NOKIA would address this.

jsalter85

Mar 28, 2011
I have been having this problem since day one with the phone. It is frustrating as can be. I cannot even type a full sentence in a text message without it popping up at least once.. and you can't just cancel it. It has to run through the whole listening process.. realize you didnt say anything.. and then after a few more seconds you can exit. I went from iPhone to a few Androids and wanted to try Windows Phone. I don't know if it is hardware or software causing this issue, but it has ruined my experience. Just happy as hell that the HTC Once X will be released before my thirty days is up. This will be a very swift return.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I have been having this problem since day one with the phone. It is frustrating as can be. I cannot even type a full sentence in a text message without it popping up at least once.. and you can't just cancel it. It has to run through the whole listening process.. realize you didnt say anything.. and then after a few more seconds you can exit. I went from iPhone to a few Androids and wanted to try Windows Phone. I don't know if it is hardware or software causing this issue, but it has ruined my experience. Just happy as hell that the HTC Once X will be released before my thirty days is up. This will be a very swift return.

You had a defective unit. That's all. I have the similar problem with my old Captivate/Galaxy S running Android. So, it is possible with any phones/OS that have capacitive buttons. Go exchange for another one. I did just that and the new phone has none of that issue. Nothing. Zero.

gahbmwm5

Oct 9, 2008
Exactely...thanks as I sent a PM to Nokia Moderator Kosh...I just purchased the White Lumia 900, and this issue and the Vibrating Rattle is very surprising for Nokia's reputation of very solid hardware...Very disappointing for Nokia to let this 'slip through their Q/A'....

I have my local AT&T Corp store looking for another 'white one' and as soon as they get one...will be exchanging....informed them to test it first!
I have till the 23nd of May...

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
I've had these issue...and more so I returned my cyan phone. No problem from the AT&T store at all. One sales guy was unaware of the problem, but the guy next to him was up to speed. They had cyan in stock and was going to do a straight swap, but I was aware enough to ask about white...they still had 2!

Cyan would have been a straight swap, but for a $35 restocking fee, I could have the white. On top of that, he said I could return my cyan bumper case, so I'd only be $20 out of pocket for a phone that wasn't available in the $100 rebate timeframe, yet still keep the rebate. Done deal!

FWIW, fit and finish in the white phone is noticeable better: no loose buttons, no vibro rattle and the gloss white looks great. I'll know more on the soft key issues after I reinstall more apps.

I'm a very satisfied customer.

Last edited:

akakira

May 8, 2012
I fixed this issue for myself

I found this was related to me connecting a bluetooth headset, then without connecting or turning off bluetooth just didn't have the device in the area. I brough the device back, reconnected it, then disconnected it and turned off bluetooth and this stopped. Hope that helps someone else.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I found this was related to me connecting a bluetooth headset, then without connecting or turning off bluetooth just didn't have the device in the area. I brough the device back, reconnected it, then disconnected it and turned off bluetooth and this stopped. Hope that helps someone else.

It's an internal interference. Mine doesn't have BT turned on at all and still have the problem. The replacement unit has been problem free so far. It seems to me a hardware design problem. Capacity button circuitary some how picked up RF noise/interference from other parts of the phone. Depends on what phone is doing currently, the interference may vary. And different phones may have different tollerance.