[Q] PPTP VPN (routing???) problem

Search This thread

the1madsailor

Jan 11, 2011
Hi all!

Second day with a stock EU (unlocked) Galaxy S5.

Device is working fine (prompted to update to 4.4.2, G900FXXU1ANCE, Kernel 3.4.0-1181732) and all seemed fine...

EXCEPT a critical (for me) issue in that although PPTP VPN connects fine to the VPN server (confirmed server side), the device seems to loose all its routing and in effect loses internet connectivity (can't connect to anything, websites, Google Play, I can't even get to local addresses on either side of the tunnel).

I am confident that the settings are correct (I have 4 Galaxy devices all working just fine), I have tried adding (in "VPN" -> "advanced options") the DNS server manually without success. For completion, this is unrelated to connection used (i.e. 3G or WiFi) - behaviour is the same for both.

While I am aware of the pitfalls of PPTP, it is what I have to work with at the moment and this issue is critical for me. If it helps, the device reports VPN "software version v1.4 Release 1".

Any clues or help would be most welcome. Alternatively, it goes back ASAP (though I suspect this is a software issue so not sure if replcing the device will solve it).

Thanks!

Last edited:

wareham

Dec 5, 2012
Zagreb
Hi all!

Second day with a stock EU (unlocked) Galaxy S5.

Device is working fine (prompted to update to 4.4.2, G900FXXU1ANCE, Kernel 3.4.0-1181732) and all seemed fine...

EXCEPT a critical (for me) issue in that although PPTP VPN connects fine to the VPN server (confirmed server side), the device seems to loose all its routing and in effect loses internet connectivity (can't connect to anything, websites, Google Play, I can't even get to local addresses on either side of the tunnel).

I am confident that the settings are correct (I have 4 Galaxy devices all working just fine), I have tried adding (in "VPN" -> "advanced options") the DNS server manually without success. For completion, this is unrelated to connection used (i.e. 3G or WiFi) - behaviour is the same for both.

While I am aware of the pitfalls of PPTP, it is what I have to work with at the moment and this issue is critical for me. If it helps, the device reports VPN "software version v1.4 Release 1".

Any clues or help would be most welcome. Alternatively, it goes back ASAP (though I suspect this is a software issue so not sure if replcing the device will solve it).

Thanks!

Same thing with my S5 (G900F) EU. I got similar issue with my Note 3 until came last D3 (PHN) revision of 4.4.2 software.
It is a 4.4.2 software bug.

the1madsailor

Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for that :good:

Doesn't really give me any hope though: I have what Samsung are classing as the latest firmware and the problem occurred:rolleyes:

Surprisingly, it seems to have rectified itself temporarily (I am not one to believe in good luck), so expecting it to return soon.

When/how was your issue rectified? Is there a patch from Google one could apply (though would rather not delve into ODIN and the likes on a 2-day old device...

Thanks again!

wareham

Dec 5, 2012
Zagreb
Thanks for that :good:

Doesn't really give me any hope though: I have what Samsung are classing as the latest firmware and the problem occurred:rolleyes:

Surprisingly, it seems to have rectified itself temporarily (I am not one to believe in good luck), so expecting it to return soon.

When/how was your issue rectified? Is there a patch from Google one could apply (though would rather not delve into ODIN and the likes on a 2-day old device...

Thanks again!
For Samsung S5 there is no patch or newer firmware with resolved VPN issue (specially for OTA or KIES) . On my Note 3 I flashed new PHN D3 rom with ODIN. We must wait for new version (revision) of 4.4.2 for Samsung S5.