Compass not working with Google Maps

Search This thread

cyablo

Feb 16, 2009
Nordhorn
Has anyone also Problems with the inbuilt Compass of the One? Lately I wanted to use Google Maps while walking and discovered the Compass is working within Google Maps. So i tried a few other Compass Apps, where some do work and others dont.

I did create a Issue on this, but it seems I'm the only one with this Issue so far: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/BACON-731

Im on stock CM11S, so it cant be any Mod / Custom Rom / Kernel Problems.

Greets

Daniel

Last edited:

Till604

Sep 13, 2014
Compass issue related to encryption

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. At first, I thought it might be a hardware defect, but that isn't the case.

Is you phone encrypted?

As bizarre as it sounds, it seems like the compass stops working as soon as the phone is encrypted. I did a factory reset - compass started working again. Encrypted phone again - compass no longer working.

Daniel, if your phone is encrypted as well, please update the jira ticket - it will help the developers reproduce / fix the issue.

Bye,
Till

cyablo

Feb 16, 2009
Nordhorn
My Phone is encrypted NOW, but I really dont know if it was back when I encoutered that the Compass does not work with Google Maps.
I will try to Factory Reset if Ive got the Time and see if this does something to Google Maps. I wanted to try CM11 (without S) anyway.

Last edited:

stewa2jm

Aug 31, 2011
Grand Rapids
Prior to encryption, my compass was just way off. Generally around 25 degrees counter clockwise. Now that the phone is encrypted, the compass doesn't work at all.

stewa2jm

Aug 31, 2011
Grand Rapids
Anyone know if these issues are present on the "Vanilla" CM11 snapshot and/or nightly roms direct download from the CM site?

Last edited:

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
Compass was always broken even on Nexus 5. I was hoping it would be fixed in 1+1 and so many Google Maps updates and yet this is still an issue.

ek69

Jan 15, 2008
My compass works but it's just way off lol

//edit
Actually I just tried it now since maps got updates recently and now it's kinda right and isn't off by much :confused:

Phone isn't encrypted

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

1%Walker

May 4, 2015
cm11 night 20150105 ,not encrypted.
Compass only worked in notification drawer widget,all other apps didn't work.

Salty Wagyu

May 28, 2011
England
My compass was 90 degrees off in Google Maps earlier today. It was 180 degrees off a couple weeks ago too. What causes this?

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
Compass works on my end but the orientation is off 90 degrees in CM11 I believe. It really throws off walking directions but driving seems ok