[Q] Severe lag and battery heat with CM-11

Search This thread

tcrimsonk

Oct 28, 2010
Hi all,

I suppose I'm looking for advice on diagnosing the source of my problem, more than asking you to identify the problem specifically.

I'm running CM-11 with the latest nightly. (There's not much point in my pulling up the specific version number, as this problem has been persistent throughout many Nightly and Stable deployments.)

After a reboot, my phone will behave normally for a while, then start behaving very badly. In the past two hours, I've lost 70% of my battery life, while my phone was sitting next to me idle. The phone is very warm to the touch. I have no idea what it's been thinking about.

(This is with LTE off, Wifi on and connected, and a very 3G strong signal because I have a Sprint Airave sitting ten feet away from me. I also have Bluetooth turned on and paired to a laptop, though it isn't doing anything at the moment.)

Often when I receive an incoming call, the phone will ring, but will have so much lag, that the call drops to voicemail before the PQ gets around to displaying the incoming call dialogue and Answer button.

Similarly, when I finish a call, and take the phone away from my head, the screen often won't wake up, thus making it impossible to hang up the call.

Chrome has been crashing. So have various android processes. Maps (Navigation) has been crashing intermittently, which is frustrating when I've missed a turn because I was driving and waiting to hear the next voice direction.

I'm also having trouble keeping my external SD card mounted. I'll occasionally open my podcasting app (DogCatcher) only to be told that it doesn't have any podcasts to play. When I open ES File Explorer, I find that my external storage is unavailable. There's no error indicating that it was unmounted; it's simply not there. Manually ejecting the card and re-inserting causes it to mount, and work fine for a few days, until I discover it missing again.

(Dogcatcher is set to only download episodes when connected to power and wifi.)

This is getting frustrating. (As all of my Android devices eventually become) and I need help figuring out what my phone is hung up on at any given time. Is there a reliable Task Manager/Resource Monitor style app that I should be using? Anything else I can do?

Sorry for the long post; I've been putting up with it for a while hoping that the next CM-11 release will somehow solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Have you tried a clean flash lately?

Have you checked which app is keeping your phone awake? WakeLockDetector is a great app to check to see what is killing your battery. Obviously the built-in battery graph tool can be useful as well, but doesn't necessarily show you what is the cause.

Reactions: tcrimsonk

tcrimsonk

Oct 28, 2010

Have you checked which app is keeping your phone awake? WakeLockDetector is a great app to check to see what is killing your battery. Obviously the built-in battery graph tool can be useful as well, but doesn't necessarily show you what is the cause.

It HAS been a while since I've done a clean flash. I'd be happy to try that, but I'd rather figure out if a specific app is causing the problem, so I know not to install it again. I hadn't heard about WakeLockDetector; that sounds like a great start. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.