Is Superuser/SuperSU apps necessary for proper root?

Search This thread

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
I'm on stock E980 Kitkat and I just rooted my phone using the Root Tool for Kitkat (can be found elsewhere in the OGP forums). Everything went fine and the next step is to install SuperSU or Superuser from the Play store. This has been my routine all through my Android life: Root and then install a superuser app.

Well, currently I don't have any of these Superuser apps installed (honestly, I was in a hurry and simply forgot to install one) and everything is working perfectly fine. According to Root Checker, I have full root access. All apps who require root are working perfectly fine; maybe even better. Titanium Backup restored all my apps. No issues whatsoever!

So my question here is this:
In order to have proper root and for everything to qork perfectly, is a superuser app really necessary? Or can I just keep things the way they are right now (no su app) and expect everything to work just fine?

PS:
I've been having to reflash my rom several times because of certain root-requiring apps constantly force closing on me. I've had SuperSU installed while this has been happening and without an su app, these apps are doing exactly as they are supposed to. I'm now wondering if there is a bug (or just some other issue) in SuperSU or something.

souleater11

Nov 20, 2011
In Beanstalk thread, its OP recommended to install SuperSU App and uninstall it afterwards.

Kinda confusing and i dont know its purpose from a developers perspective.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Free mobile app

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
In Beanstalk thread, its OP recommended to install SuperSU App and uninstall it afterwards.

Kinda confusing and i dont know its purpose from a developers perspective.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Free mobile app

My guess, and this is coming from the few hours today using my phone without an SU app, is that it's a security thing (?).
Without the SU app, anything on my phone has root access as it pleases and I have no clue as to what is being granted these permissions. This is fine for me personally because everything I have installed that needs root, I WANT to have root access and it's really annoying to me to have to have to manually grant everything access.
So, I'm starting to wonder if the SU apps are simply for managing root access; allowing certain apps permission, while restricting the access of others.

So far, I've been running the phone several hours without any SU app and the phone is working great! I don't have to constantly grant apps permission all the time (or well, first time I guess).

romikavinda

Jun 14, 2014
Colombo
Super SU

It is better if you could have Super Su installed because then you can control apps that needs root permissions. Some times root privileges required apps can harm your device.

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
It is better if you could have Super Su installed because then you can control apps that needs root permissions. Some times root privileges required apps can harm your device.

OK, so SU apps like SuperSU are basically used to manage root access from root-requiring apps. A security measue basically.
This is what I figured, but had to make sure.
Thank you :)