ORDER Social Group... For us with ORD (Obsessive-ROM Updating Disorder)

Search This thread

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Well that explains a lot, you are a "WebGeek" , hahaha

My best friend does SEO stuff and Interface design for a web company, he is always using me for his Beta Tester .... (or calling me because he just borked his database and needs help with a "Friend Discount")

Much, much more than your common WebGeek... ass :D

I get used as a beta tester too... what's up with that crap?!

TheRomMistress

XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 17, 2010
Virginia
Well that explains a lot, you are a "WebGeek" , hahaha

My best friend does SEO stuff and Interface design for a web company, he is always using me for his Beta Tester .... (or calling me because he just borked his database and needs help with a "Friend Discount")

Im jealous..I am the smartest one out of all my friends/family when it comes to computer stuff...and obviously, talking with you 2, thats not saying much. I am a self learner...went through computer science in college and thats where it ends. I cnvinced my husband to go for his degree in framework so maybe he can teach me something once he has been through it.

Until then, I rely on the knowledge of this thread and people like you

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

TheRomMistress

Apr 17, 2010
Virginia

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Im jealous..I am the smartest one out of all my friends/family when it comes to computer stuff...and obviously, talking with you 2, thats not saying much. I am a self learner...went through computer science in college and thats where it ends. I cnvinced my husband to go for his degree in framework so maybe he can teach me something once he has been through it.

Well, I've got about 15 years invested in my career... I better know a thing or two by now... don't know about Watcher though... he and I should be mortal enemies (he's a network admin and I'm a developer, kind of like oil and water). lmao

W

watcher64

Hey self taught will get the job done, but , that degree is what will let some 22 year old punk that does not know Dial-UP from an OC128, come in and steal your job. I used to work for a Telco , helped setup the entire Wireless 911 network in Indiana, now un-employed , WTH ... No not bitter at all ...

Also just to warn you, I am trying to quit smoking ..... Again ......

W

watcher64

Well, I've got about 15 years invested in my career... I better know a thing or two by now... don't know about Watcher though... he and I should be mortal enemies (he's a network admin and I'm a developer, kind of like oil and water). lmao

HAHA, yeah that would be true, if we worked together, here we are all just , Phone Geeks .....

Been in the business 25 years or so ... the first computer I did work on when I was younger had 12" floppy disks, so yeah my age is showing ....

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hey self taught will get the job done, but , that degree is what will let some 22 year old punk that does not know Dial-UP from an OC128, come in and steal your job. I used to work for a Telco , helped setup the entire Wireless 911 network in Indiana, now un-employed , WTH ... No not bitter at all ...

Been there. I was development manager for a major financial firm 2 years ago... basically had my job handed to some young punk that *thought* he knew .Net. He was gone in 6 months but, then again, so was I...

[/QUOTE]

oh bloody hell... no, not on this thread damnit! smoking and flashing go hand in hand! How else are you gonna cope with the stress of a bad flash?! yelling? I THINK NOT!

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
HAHA, yeah that would be true, if we worked together, here we are all just , Phone Geeks .....

Been in the business 25 years or so ... the first computer I did work on when I was younger had 12" floppy disks, so yeah my age is showing ....

My first computer was a TRS-80 CoCo... damn I miss that thing!!!

Long live Phone Geeks (and people with O.R.D.)... Cell just finished downloading...

TheRomMistress

Apr 17, 2010
Virginia

lol, yea, I can imagine your frustration - these days though, you have to have something to put you in the work force. My husband is an electrician, spent 4 years going to school for that, and now with construction field down and technology booming....

Well, I dont smoke...that leaves me with my Yeager or wine to help cope with that "bad flash"

TheRomMistress

Apr 17, 2010
Virginia
O M G! I am not old, damnit! I'm only *almost* 40 (in 1.5 years). Shaddup youngin'! lol

Wow, and I thought I lived a lot of places... sheesh! settle down already!

Oh the days of Trash 80's and the wonder of the cassette tape ...

I miss my Ti-99-4a

Man, I really feel young now...I remember my commodore 64 but that was passed down from my grandma in the age of win 95....BTW, I do not miss floppy disks

I am in my early 20's so yea, you guys are old :p

Edit: Oh, and BTW, did you say OMG??

dotnetguyaz

Sep 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Man, I really feel young now...I remember my commodore 64 but that was passed down from my grandma in the age of win 95....BTW, I do not miss floppy disks

I am in my early 20's so yea, you guys are old :p

Edit: Oh, and BTW, did you say OMG??

:eek: we befriended a youngster... *sigh*

I have wine on my desk (like 4 bottles or so at any given time) and a bar in the kitchen... but I'll take a good smoke when I can't get my phone to boot (or, to play with a newly installed ROM without getting dirty looks from my girlfriend... lol)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDABlues.jpg

Thanks mikechannon, awesome job :D!​

20070629ord072.th.jpg

Thanks af974 for the artwork :D

ORDER Social Group

Come on guys, join in! :D

Hi, my name is Ezequiel and I have had ORD since 2005. Because of this, I have created a group which I not only maintain, but also I am a proud member of. This kind of group therapy might not give out any results (as we would need someone who has been able to recover from it), but at least we will be able to get past the feeling that we are in essence lonely in this world since no one outside of xda-devs seem to understand what we go through :D

[highlight]So, what exactly is ORD?(thanks Fallen Spartan for the definition)[/highlight]

I have finally figured out what is wrong with us all.

We got something that can be called ORD

Obsessive-ROM Updating Disorder

you might have it if you:

-Flashes new roms as soon as they are available

-Need to have the lastes OS build

-Need to have the latest packages, it do not matter if there is no changes to the application, just as long as it has a higher build number.

-Is often forgetful in daily activities cause you are thinking of what the next leaked update will be

-Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace because your urge to browse websites sutch as Htcpedia or xda-developers.

-Difficulties completing household chores as you are constantly refreshing your browser for updated roms

-Often having difficulty concentrating on conversations as you are constantly backing up contacts etc, setting up mail and customizing graphics on the newest rom

-Appearing not to listen when spoken to (often being accused of beeing obsessesive with "that damn phone"
    The idea is based on a thread started by G1Bricked

I...Hate...XDA
    Finally! I know what I am!

I've been bumming around on XDA for quite some time now, I don't post much but I'm pretty much always trundling around the development section of the Galaxy s. I flash my phone pretty much every day unless I find a particularly tasty Rom and then I might be able to hold off for a couple of days and just keep tweaking the settings. The best part is finally having a name for my condition...ORD... next time I'm told to 'put that damn phone down' i'll be able to say, 'I can't I have ORD!' and claim some sort of compensation or allowance for all these years of technological abuse. Its got to the point where I tell random people I barely know about how they should update their androids and it causes me physical pain to see someone still toughing it out on Cupcake!
    My Story ...

It started back in late 2008, early 2009. I had just purchased my new HTC Fuze and wasn't very satisfied with how it performed. After a few hours of searching, I came upon XDA Developers and started reading about what could be done to my phone to make it better. In excitement, I created an account on the forum ...

At first, I was flashing ROM's to my device so that I could get the best features and performance. I would leave the ROM on the device for a few weeks; then weekly, daily, and finally ... hourly. I didn't notice that I was becoming addicted at first; my friends and family had. We would be at a social dinner or event and I would find myself logging into XDA from my phone to see if a new ROM had been released. I'd pretend to be involved in the conversation we were having, but cursing inside at the fact that I wasn't in front of my PC to download and flash it to my device.

Popular chefs like NRGZ28, NATF, and ARUPENTHAL would announce an updated release of their next Fuze ROM and I would find myself refreshing my browser every hour waiting for the "uploading" message to change to "uploaded & ready" - like a junkie waiting on a street corner for his pusher to arrive. I would get frustrated at how long it was taking to download the ROM from my 16 Mbps downstream connection. I would stay up all night trying to figure out the best time to download ROM's so that I could push my 16 Mbps connection to it's limit - I even called my ISP to complain about the fact that I couldn't get an OC48 fibre optic connection to my house. I even called RapidShare, Hotfile, MediaFire, and 4shared technical support to plead with them to remove the waiting period - I even bought every single item from the popup advertisements.

During the day, I would find myself taking several breaks so that I could check the forum to see if a new ROM was available or another registry tweak that would enhance my phone. I would tell my colleagues that I had a bladder condition just so I could sneak to the bathroom and check the forum. If a ROM had been released, I would go back to my desk and announce that I wasn't feeling well just so I could go home to download the ROM.

I found myself filled with anxiety wondering if someone else had already downloaded the ROM. Would there be a download slot left for me? I found myself pre-booking helicopter flight services to my home just so I could get there as quickly as possible and make sure that I was the first one to download the latest ROM. I found myself setting up sockpuppet accounts so that I could trace the IP Address of any member who had downloaded the ROM before me ... just to call their ISP and have their accounts suspended so that it wouldn't happen again.

And it got worse; I met a dealer name Da_G. He started supplying me the latest versions of kitchens so that I could make my own ROM's. No more waiting. No more pushers. I was "plugged-in" at the source. I would find all of the latest application packages, and add them to my kitchen. If I ran into a problem, I knew I could turn to him for another fix. I craved it more than life itself; I needed the latest ROM ... even before HTC thought of it.

Near the end, it's all I could do. I even worshipped the great goddess Flar of XDA, so that I would be blessed into the order of modship just so I could get into the "inside track". I sold myself like a cheap prostitute/junkie in need of "just one more fix; and then I'll quit; honest". Then another release of Opera or SenseUI would come out; then a new version 6.5 - the cycle would repeat itself over and over.

I found myself waiting in dark alleys looking for iPhone users just so I could show them the latest ROM I had built; "see," I would say, "I have an app for that too". I was a lost soul like those that perish in the Bermuda Triangle; except mine was that of a lost GPS signal. I found myself on street corners calling friends and asking: "Can you hear me now". I lost everything, my house, my home, my wife, my dignity, my HTC Fuze. I felt like I was in a deep dark cave unable to use the backlight of my Fuze to shine the way.

But then, I was saved - I found ORDER. Founded on the teachings of the grand master ITJE and his three followers of the HardSPL: FALLEN SPARTAN the mystic flasher, STYLEZ the rominator, and the all-knowing MIKECHANNON; the high priest EGZTHUNDER1 seeks to enlighten those afflicted with his wisdom. He taught me that all was not lost ...

I simply had to go buy another phone.

My name is hilaireg and I have ORD.

:)

Sir, I have come to admit I have been avoiding it for months....I have O R D!!!! There I feel so much better now...wait (tabbing over to ROM thread checking for updates), ok nothing yet...and yes I have the entire ROM threads that I flash to subscribed, but I have beaten the email telling me there is a post in the threads I have sub to ....dang you g mail...:laugh::cyclops::laugh:

I don't feel I am Obsessed, ok fine I am, there I admit....:p

Thanks I feel better...:D
    I have had ORD for over a year now but it didn't get any better.

But admitting is the first step to solving the problem, right?