The REAL truth about N1 touch screen

Search This thread

dextroz

Jan 14, 2010
There has never been a single official statement ever from either Google or HTC that the Nexus One has or does not have Gorilla Glass.

your logic has a fallacy. by your chain of reasoning the nexus one also needs a shower everyday.

jokes apart, if it had gorilla glass they would have probably mentioned it ahead of talking about the teflon coating.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
your logic has a fallacy. by your chain of reasoning the nexus one also needs a shower everyday.

jokes apart, if it had gorilla glass they would have probably mentioned it ahead of talking about the teflon coating.

You said "AFAIK the claim was that it is NOT Gorilla Glass."

So where is this supposed "claim" coming from? Can you provide a link? Didn't think so.

Also, absence of proof is NOT proof of absence.

Last edited:

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
There are a few methods to try and tell them apart. One would be to correlate touch "pressure". The other would be to correlate movement of peaks in X and Y axis... But when axes cross you loose all that extra info... which leads to "sticking" phenomena.
I just wanted to point out that when the axes cross you lose any prior correlation data, but you can still use the pressures to potentially tell them apart as you say. So, you only lose half of the "extra info" (albeit probably the more reliable "half").

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin
i am really dissappointed in htc..im looking at my nexus one and it just doesnt appeal to me anymore :/..seriously google and htc need to step it up and make android more opengl friendly..i really really miss those games on the itunes appstore

paratox

Feb 18, 2010
omg, for me a smart phone is never a gaming device! without hardware buttons the most games are ****ty. especially the emulators. and there is no difference if it`s dual or multi touch. some puzzle games a nice with touch screen only, but there you need no multi touch.

~~Tito~~

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 30, 2007
Can a mod delete the crap from this thread? Its not a lot but it ruins the info you need when you read.

Anyways, if the iPhone does supposedly have the same sensor, then what we need is to compare what happens(sw side, similar to what Cyanogen brought up) when you touch the screen with more than two* fingers and then do the same on the Nexus, and find a workable or definite solution. All this rabble is getting us no where lol.

[Side note: For some reason all these little things that crop up makes me want the Nexus less, then I slap myself and drool over it again]

I truly enjoy how bloggers and these little websites grab every little negative thing they can, it's like apple sent them mail that read "if you can find me some negative stuff about this nexus one, yes the phone that destroys our apple iphone in every way possible, we will be mailing you a check so big, you wont need to blog ever again". Users why do we care? you are all aware that this is the best device you layed your hands on, oh wait, my nexus one, doesn't have an app that cures ACNE like the Iphone does? ROFLMAO did you forget why apple has so many apps and so much more things? because 90% of those extra things are "USELESS" android and htc seem to be very attracted to giving use to our phones, I know children that use their ilimitedslavery for calls only, which by the way nexus one is also better when it comes to quality and stability of a call with Tmobile but wait they pay over 100-120 a month. I pay 65 with my nexus one with more than what I need, and I find myself using my phone to replace and use as; A pc, a radio, haven't even used my expensive garmin GPS in a while, a newspaper, great calling (phone experience), etc ON A DAILY BASIS, so ok you win Iphone I can cure your mothers ACNE or play a fake guitar to impress the girl who told me she will only allow me in her pants if I have a fake digital guitar. YOU WIN! I LOSE!

P.S BY ALL MEANS please continue to use your "itakeyouroptionsaway phone" while I enjoy mine for half the monthly cost. Btw, anyone wants to drop their unprotected iphone 3GS and a Nexus one from the same Height to see which one is more durable? HTC CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS AND MONEY.

APPLE CARES ABOUT MONEY AND MONEY.

I'm not flaming the kid with the interesting point, but these damn bloggers and sites can suck a huge one. Oh wait, Iphone has an app to suck huge ones on the market, probably only 15 dollars, sick.

Last edited:

karnovaran

Jul 27, 2009
PDX
Guys, I hate the iPhone as much as any of you but this touchscreen evidence is pretty damning. It's too bad HTC and Google continue to jerk us around with underspec'd hardware. First the RAM robbery of the MyTouch, now this.

GnillGnoll

Oct 13, 2009
Interestingly, there is a hack in the framework (which is enabled on the Droid, but not on the N1) that can be enabled by setting config_filterTouchEvents. With it disabled (the default), I get the axis-flipping problem. Enabling it fixes this, but there are still issues with the points "sticking" when they cross.
Filtering can only do so much. Unless the hardware is able to properly detect both x and y position of a touch at the same time there will always be some cases of incorrect touch positions.

I suppose what the sensor in the N1 does is detect touches on the x and y axes separately, then the software tries to correlate them by determining which touches were added at the same time. By estimating touch positions from previous touch positions, size/pressure, and velocities, filtering could potentially get two touches right most of the time, but it would still sometimes get it wrong, especially if there are sudden changes in movement direction or pressure.

keet

Jan 16, 2007
I prefer a stylus over my finger. Styli don't leave fingerprints, and they are more precise. I have a X51v that works very nicely with a resistive screen. If I have a stylus, I don't need to worry that I've been eating, or touching snow, or have wet fingers, et cetera.

lolittle

Jan 22, 2010
I new ther was summet up with the N1s touchscreen when i played two player multitouch games and the multitouch jus didnt work

Now i know its because HTC n google went cheap on the screen :| .. typical

I Love the phone but hate the fact i cant actually use true multitouch games :(

and for all the sceptics out ther it is true the screen is not capable of this as the multitouch visualizer proves :|

lolittle

Jan 22, 2010
I prefer a stylus over my finger. Styli don't leave fingerprints, and they are more precise. I have a X51v that works very nicely with a resistive screen. If I have a stylus, I don't need to worry that I've been eating, or touching snow, or have wet fingers, et cetera.

Im sure you can buy capacitive touch-screen styluses, iv seen them for the iphone, they should work on the N1 ;)

deekjx

Nov 11, 2008
Interestingly, there is a hack in the framework (which is enabled on the Droid, but not on the N1) that can be enabled by setting config_filterTouchEvents. With it disabled (the default), I get the axis-flipping problem. Enabling it fixes this, but there are still issues with the points "sticking" when they cross.

Thats great news IMO. I'm not to concerned with the sticking problem as long as it can pair the points up correctly 99.9% of the time when crossing the axis.

rvinny

Mar 14, 2006

anyway to get the option added in the next build? even if it's a moderate improvement, I'll take it.