Did I Kill It Dead?

Search This thread

MagicSpeller

Mar 4, 2009
Springville, UT
When I got to work yesterday and pulled out my Fuze, it was displaying a low-battery warning. I have a spare battery, so I switched in the new one, but after doing so, I wasn't able to get the back cover back on. As I have had difficulty with this in the past, I didn't worry too much about it, but just gave up for the time being and decided to wait for break time to put it back together.

Later, in trying to replace the back, I realized that I had put the battery in upside down! I turned it over and was now able to replace the back. However, now the phone would not turn on at all, even with the original battery (which, although it displayed a warning, had still been on earlier).

Now, when I try to charge either battery, nothing apparently happens. Only once was I able to get the charging light to flash a few times, but then it stopped. After hours of being connected to the charger, the phone still won't turn on.

Did I destroy my phone by putting the battery in backwards? If not, what's going on here? It doesn't seem that I "just" ruined the battery, since the other one doesn't work, either.

I don't know which is worse, the feelings of depression at losing my expensive device, or the feelings of stupidity at having done such a thing.

I will be waiting in great anticipation for your suggestions....

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
You probably just bent the contacts inwards, so they no longer make contact with the battery electrodes. I would carefully try bending them slightly outwards. Then replace the battery and see if the phone will power up. Without the proper contact with the battery, you also can't charge the phone with a wall charger (although you can remove the battery when it's in bootloader if you have the phone plugged in through the usb port).

MagicSpeller

Mar 4, 2009
Springville, UT
You Got It!

You're exactly right, Ted. When I realized what it was, I was embarrassed not to have thought about it right away. In any case, everything seems to be good now -- whew!

I didn't understand you last sentence, though. Can you clarify for me, please?

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
Plug your phone into the wall-charger. Press and hold volume down, then do a soft reset. Keep holding vol down (not the reset button) until the tri-color screen. Now, if you want you can pull the battery and the phone will stay on. Soft reset to re-boot (it won't wipe you phone unless you screw up, lol).