Samsung Gear Fit Vs Sony SmartWatch 2

Search This thread

a_k_gano

Nov 29, 2010
Giza
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Hi,

I am writing down a comparison between the Samsung Gear Fit Watch and the Sony SmartWatch 2 based on my personal experience and the shared information in the internet.

I have both watches working with my current Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile.

Specs:

Screen --> Gear Fit: 1.84 inch, 432x128, Super AMOLED.
SmartWatch 2: 1.6 inch, 220x176, LCD TFT

Processor/Capacity --> Gear Fit: 1GHz Dual Core, 512 Mb RAM, 4GB internal memory
SmartWatch 2: 220 MHz ARM-CORTEX M3, N/A RAM, N/A internal memory.

Connectivity --> Gear Fit: MICRO USB, Bluetooth 4.
SmartWatch 2: MICRO USB, Bluetooth 3+HS, NFC.

Battery --> Gear Fit: Typical Usage 2-3 days, Low usage 6 days.
SmartWatch 2: Typical Usage 3-4 days, Low usage 7 days.

Water Resistance --> Gear Fit: IP67 water and dust resistance.
SmartWatch 2: IP57 water and dust resistance.

Price --> Gear Fit: 250 USD.
SmartWatch 2: 150 USD.

Sensors --> Gear Fit: Accelerometer , Gyroscope, Heart rate.
SmartWatch 2: Accelerometer, light.

Compatibility --> Gear Fit: Limited Samsung Galaxy Phones.
SmartWatch 2: Android 4.+ devices.

Personal experience:

Gear Fit:

It looks really nice in hand and comfortable. However, it may not look OK if you are wearing formal or semi formal.
The Super AMOLED screen with the high resolution really makes a difference.
On my Galaxy Phone, it is easy to use and you don't need to install more applications to have the basic notifications.
On the other hand, it is not comfortable to read the notifications, you have to choose between moving your head/hand in a way to read it horizontally or to read it vertically with a tiny font size.
Also, to know the time, you need to activate the option to get the watch waken up with your hand motion or to use the button. both of them are not practical for me.
The watch is really good if you are going to use it for your daily exercises.

SmartWatch 2:

It looks nice but bulky. it is not that comfortable to wear if you compare it with the Gear Fit.
The LCD screen is good enough for your daily use. resolution is not high and it is far away if you compare it with the AMOLED screen when it comes to the quality, however it is fair enough for a watch. Taken into consideration, that it is comfortable to read vertically and the font size is fine.
On my galaxy phone, it is easy to use, but you need to install application per each needed notification. Let's say the Gear Fit manager is more sufficient. But remember that the SmartWatch 2 has 400 applications in the store, and it is more flexible to use when it comes to the available applications and the UI.
Back to the flexibility, you can use any 24mm band for this watch, so you can make it look formal or sporty not like the Gear Fit.
You can make your own watch screen, add battery widget, weather, extra...
Its current firmware doesn't support many languages, in my case I need Arabic but it is not available right now. However, there are applications that support Arabic and it works some how. The Gear Fit supports many languages with no problem or extra application need.
The best feature in the SmartWatch 2 is the power saving mode. Simply the watch is on all the time. You don't need to push any button or to move your hand to wake up the screen. It's always awake and so it is closer to be a normal watch.
It's worse in a matter of processing capabilities, but looks like the 200 MHz processor is sufficient enough to the watch functionality.

Conclusion:

Both watches are nice and high end when it comes to the technology.

I personally prefer the Sony SmartWatch 2, because of being able to see the time whenever I need without pushing on any button or moving my hand. Using new 24mm band can make you feel you have a new watch .... it is a great option.

The Gear Fit also is really great when it comes to the exercises use.

Thanks,

Last edited:

pRo_lama

May 10, 2008
Prague
I'm not sure if is good to compare sport smartwatch with smartwatch. It would be better if you compare Sony Smartwatch 2 vs. Gear 2/Neo. ;)