S5 Worst battery ever

Search This thread

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Got this phone about 10 days ago and my battery is terrible since day 1, someone suggested to root my phone and get the BBS app and dump a file i did that and installed a system tuner to disable google CHECKIN OR GCM and unchecked them. apps i got installed to help with battery battery doctor, wakelock detector, os monitor, system tuner, gsam battery, betterbatterystats.

Apps i disabled are:
Ant radio service
Ant+ plugins
App zone
Blurbcheckout
chaton
chrome
flipboard
google play book, games, movies, music, newstand , google search, google+ , hangouts
hp print service plugin
my magazine
s health , svoice , samsung account , samsung apps , samsung galaxy apps widget, samsung push service, smart remote , Top Hd Games

got a plain black wallpaper, even after all this i cant get more than 2h30m screentime and everyone is getting 5h+ do i have a defective unit? what are my options right now? cause basically i removed everything the phone has lol. i talk to my workplace and they can send the phone for repair but i want to see if someone can help me before i do that. i have to unroot the phone if i have to send it for repair even though my phone is 0x1 on knox cause i was stupid to root with cf-root and didnt check other methods.

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
After all that you did, then it sounds like a faulty battery or device.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
How's your signal at work? I'm on 3g at half signal maybe? I get about 3:30 and standby. But when I'm at home WIFI only I get about 4-4:30 it all depends too on how bright your screen is.

kgyirhj

Jun 16, 2014
This system tuner app you used it not any overclocking or something that might drain you battery?
What screen brightness do you use most of the time?

Can you see what use most of your battery? There is charts you can access in settings -> battery

I run with BLAZE kernel and Alliance ROM. (install without any samsung or google bloat if you can)
And I have been using my phone constantly, playing streemed music, installing apps, downloading from internet, browsing internet, having screen active a lot...
And Now I'm at 87% and have been running 1 hour and 38 minutes on battery. (Was at about 100% battery before)
I run +5 screen brightness and don't have any special powersaving features running that limit my experience with the phone.
You could try that kernel and ROM too, I feel they improved my battery time a lot.
I also shut down some samsung and google bloat stuff like air browse, s voice and such crap, saving a little little battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldie

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
Here is my battery info and my brightness level. I have Canadian g900w from Rogers so I am not sure what roms or kernels you can use ?
Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1404186253807.jpg
    1404186253807.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 1404186263437.jpg
    1404186263437.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 1404186270447.jpg
    1404186270447.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 1404186278237.jpg
    1404186278237.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 360
  • 1404186286077.jpg
    1404186286077.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 1404186292609.jpg
    1404186292609.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 287

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
This system tuner app you used it not any overclocking or something that might drain you battery?

Can you see what use most of your battery? There is charts you can access in settings -> battery

I run with BLAZE kernel and Alliance ROM. (install without any samsung or google bloat if you can)
And I have been using my phone constantly, playing streemed music, installing apps, downloading from internet, browsing internet, having screen active a lot...
And Now I'm at 87% and have been running 1 hour and 38 minutes on battery. (Was at about 100% battery before)
I run +5 screen brightness and don't have any special powersaving features running that limit my experience with the phone.
You could try that kernel and ROM too, I feel they improved my battery time a lot.
I also shut down some samsung and google bloat stuff like air browse, s voice and such crap, saving a little little battery.

I posted my info with photos ^ thanks

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre
Hey, here I have everything turned on and I never followed these stupid extreme battery guides and I easily get over 4 hours of screen time and one day away from the charger. I only use auto brightness, Greenify and KT Kernel.
It's a smartphone, if you're supposed to turn all the features off then you should have bought a dumb feature phone.

cbomb101

Oct 5, 2012
melbourne
Looks like ur using max brightness? Nearly 2 hours screen on time for 44% isnt the best but isnt terrible. I get around 5 to 6 hours using low brightness 3g/4g on besides when screen on. Using android tuner and greenify for tuneing. Screen uses a lot of battery to. Im using. Ktoons kernal now with oc and the batterys probably the same to to me. No beter or worse but. Im running higher clock.

Sent from my SM-G900I using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

I also use normal power save eith the greyscale option selected and I have the cpu limited disabled.because ktoons app limits it for me.

Sent from my SM-G900I using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dan1909

Oct 15, 2010
Here is my battery info and my brightness level. I have Canadian g900w from Rogers so I am not sure what roms or kernels you can use ?

You're set for almost four hours of screen on time there, on what seems to be very poor mobile signal. Doesn't sound that unrealistic to me to be honest.

Poor mobile signal absolutely kills battery life, as your phone spends the entire time searching and trying to get a better signal.

Reactions: fffft

Goldie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2010
Hey, here I have everything turned on and I never followed these stupid extreme battery guides and I easily get over 4 hours of screen time and one day away from the charger. I only use auto brightness, Greenify and KT Kernel.
It's a smartphone, if you're supposed to turn all the features off then you should have bought a dumb feature phone.

I think his point is that most people get 5-6 hours screen time with everything on and without following the "stupid extreme battery guides". To be honest it looks like you aren't getting great life either if you are only getting 4 hours. I regularly get 6-7 with everything on and no greenify or kernel tweaks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Alan Shore

Jul 1, 2009

I see a couple of things interesting with your setup, Speaking from personal experience, I too have had battery issues drive me up a wall. I'd get just about a day on a battery when everyone else gets about 3-9 days more. My friend has an s5 all stock and he gets 9 days on a freaking battery. WTF

I rooted my first s5, with ANCH baseband and still couldn't solve all the issues with it. So I sent it back to t-mo and they sent me another one, getting batteries on ebay has also ended up a wash. 2 batteries I've received go down 20% from a full charge in the first hour and shut completely down at 32 percent at least I got a refund on that. (So be careful about ebay batteries, even though they say samsung.

So looking at yours here's what I see, Your system is staying awake, lets look at wake locks. Kik is really tearing up your machines wakelock (900wake locks) as well as the camera CPU time, i'd imagine you were recording a video at some point.

1. Go get greenify and greenify those Kik, Instagram and camera apps if thats usage while the screen is off. (No notifications on those apps, i'm afraid when you do that.)

2. Go get system tuner, make sure your rooted by towelroot (If you so choose to keep from tripping knox) and go into app mgr and find android system and go through activities, receivers and services and make sure everything you see that says IQAgent gets unchecked. This will help you stay out of ServiceIQ's eyes and also help your battery as your entire phone is debugged through those apps. (Help is on the forums somewhere)

3. Turn off google now, hotword detection and location history or you'll start noticing Google services draining your battery

4. Go get deep sleep battery saver and remove that battery saver, I personally never liked it it only suggests things to do rather than do them for you. At night or whenever you need to save your battery turn on slumber and it will only take like a percent to 5% in the morning

5. You probably have a bad battery, especially if its down to that low. Time to exchange or return :)

I'm incredibly disappointed, i've had to do all these things to really figure things out, heck i'd be on firefox for about 15 minutes and go down 18% (Happened this morning)

Android really has some issues with kitkat, and even though we try and fix these problems with modifications there comes a point where one just gives up and tries to deal with it.

I don't understand why my phone gets 1.2 days and my co-workers Verizon s5 gets 9 days with normal usage. Everyone seems to have crazy all over the scale battery life results. Heck, i've reset my phone and flashed so many roms that i'd be safe to say that I have yet to have 10 full discharges in the 4 weeks i've had the phone. At the end of the day though, it's mountains better than my iphone 5 with a lenmar battery case.

Wish I could say the same with stability, I'd be on my bike and switch tracks (or try) and stuff just doesn't respond, heck I can't even go with voice activation with wired headphones and that is really a downer for me. I want to be able to hold down the pause and play and get the google now boop boop sound and speak as i'm riding.

I'm tired of this, and google has no answers, the fixes above only seem to add a couple of hours but not the 9 days I was seeing.

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre
I think his point is that most people get 5-6 hours screen time with everything on and without following the "stupid extreme battery guides". To be honest it looks like you aren't getting great life either if you are only getting 4 hours. I regularly get 6-7 with everything on and no greenify or kernel tweaks

So? What do you do to have that many hours? Which rom? How often do you recharge? Which apps do you use? That's the point. I never freeze/uninstall anything...

Goldie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2010
So? What do you do to have that many hours? Which rom? How often do you recharge? Which apps do you use? That's the point. I never freeze/uninstall anything...

My rom. With nothing removed or frozen as I have to keep all bloat due to development to check everything. I recharge every night usually with about 20% left and about 5h30 screen on. Using Tapatalk, music, calls, Internet. The usual stuff.

ogremount

Jul 6, 2011
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
I get 6-7 hours normal use with the bloatware I never use frozen. And I mean never use.

Gtalk, whatsapp, line, google drive, dropbox, gmail, Yahoo mail, corporate mail, all running. No greenify. No battery saver.
Now playing games is different thing. 2-3 hours max.

iPeck

Account currently disabled
Dec 28, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
My battery is amazing. I keep the screen brightness lower, keep networks and chips off when not using, i use bootmanager to prevent apps from launching ay boot and only 1 active widget. Good for a day and a half of very fair use !

Sent with Galaxy S5 SM-900W8 Rooted LB

EclipseX

May 29, 2007
Quinta do Conde
It's your probleme. Problably you have some stupid apps I'm your phone that you shouldn't have.

Like you see in my picture. My battery it's just fine and there is 2 stupid apps that eat me my battery without do anything

bc021362c7d3f72d7725867940ab0635.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You're set for almost four hours of screen on time there, on what seems to be very poor mobile signal. Doesn't sound that unrealistic to me to be honest.

Poor mobile signal absolutely kills battery life, as your phone spends the entire time searching and trying to get a better signal.