[APP] PDroid - The Better Privacy Protection [2012-03-18: Bugfixes in Patch 1.32]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I read but I don't know where to get the older (1.31) version?

I had to search my phone's forum to get a patched 1.31 zip to work with my phone, I suggest start looking through your phone's forum for some help with Pdroid, you will be surprised at what you find.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25236916&postcount=72 (X2 forum for CM7 droid X2 patch 1.31 zip files courtesy kenjesse)

another edit: if you have no luck finding a patched zip file, you can manually patch your ROM with the source code for 1.27 (source code is on svyat's first post)

Last edited:

ido

May 7, 2006
If you're on a Windows box, just grab the patcher, install the JDK off the Oracle site (it's linked in the first post), and run it. Point it at the CM zip you're using, and it'll spit out the patch (and restoration patch, in case things go wonky) for you. Easy.

If you're on a *nix box or a Mac... there's older patch files around if you can find them that run in *nix straight. Or you can just run a quick VM and follow the Windows directions.

I can't seem to find the older patch files. Can you give a hand ?

NicholasQ

Oct 16, 2010
I think he needs to just have the app patch roms. This seems like too much trouble and lots of confusion. Would be better to have the app with a button that patches, reboots and you're done.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

uwdus

Thanks for that!

Can someone provide the 1.31 version the 1.27 don't work.
1.27 worked for me (Android Revolution HD 6.3.2 on HTC DHD)

Thanks for all the bug reports guys. I'll look into them when I'm done with the ICS port. BTW, if you want to get notified as soon as it's ready, you can follow me on Twitter (@svyath).
For that time could you offer downloads for 1.27 and 1.31?

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I agree with you but then you would need root.

Already pretty much requires root. It needs a rom that is deodex'd which almost all of them are custom roms which are rooted.

One reason you need to patch it in cwm or bsr is due to it needing to 'fix' jar files. If you read why this isn't a background app (security issues and holes at start up and system may shut it down when memory is needed)

The way it works is tweaking with the permissions given to apps and changes values they receive.

End rant

sent from my CM7'd X2 using XDA

Last edited:

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
I think he needs to just have the app patch roms. This seems like too much trouble and lots of confusion. Would be better to have the app with a button that patches, reboots and you're done.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

There is an app like that. It needs root. Called privacy blocker. The "patching" takes 10-20mins depending on your phone/tablet and sometimes it doesnt work.

Also Privacy blocker doesnt notify you when it blocks something. And because of the nature of the app, most newer apps or updated ones block it.

in short, an app that does what you want is time consuming and does violate the copyright agreement of apps since it would be 'modifying' something some one owns and has distributed on the google play store. This app svyat made doesn't modify the app that is owned by its creator but modifies how an open source OS (android OS) deals with it's permissions

sent from my CM7'd X2 using XDA

Last edited:

DnaPolymerase

Sep 17, 2011
I have a problem with the PDROID patch I made for Cyanogenmod 7.2 Rc1 (kang, unofficial build by Adfad approx 20th April) on Lg Optimus One. I try to patch the rom, it completes, I flash it but when it comes to boot the bootanimation freezes and to use the phone I have to remove the battery and flash again the "restore" patch. What am I doing wrong? I've already tried mounting /system.
Thanks.

c-pimp

Jun 24, 2006
Oswego
I have a problem with the PDROID patch I made for Cyanogenmod 7.2 Rc1 (kang, unofficial build by Adfad approx 20th April) on Lg Optimus One. I try to patch the rom, it completes, I flash it but when it comes to boot the bootanimation freezes and to use the phone I have to remove the battery and flash again the "restore" patch. What am I doing wrong? I've already tried mounting /system.
Thanks.

Try pdroid 1.31 or 1.27

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

Reactions: DnaPolymerase
HEY!!! Where's the LINUX PATCHER?!? (I mean official one in the original first post)
The 'official' Linux patcher got discontinued. There are still older versions floating, as were reposted a few posts above your question, but if you want PDroid in Linux, your best bet is either patching the source directly or running a Windows VM.

douglatins

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks.

Same here, Checkrom V6 and 1,27

IlPapu

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for all the bug reports guys. I'll look into them when I'm done with the ICS port. BTW, if you want to get notified as soon as it's ready, you can follow me on Twitter (@svyath).

Can't wait to test the upgrade! I refuse to upgrade to ICS until this works. Once you have PDroid, you can't go back to a ROM without it!

Anything I can do to help, let me know!

sakura_candy

Apr 5, 2010
Wow this is awesome!!

1.32 patcher caused boot to freeze on my VillianRom 3.0, but 1.27 worked perfectly! Thanks for posting it here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PDroid-banner.png

1.png
    2.png
    4.png
    5.png
    7.png
    3.png
    8.png

PDroid allows blocking access for any installed application to the following data separately:

• Device ID (IMEI/MEID/ESN)
    • Subscriber ID (IMSI)
    • SIM serial (ICCID)
    • Phone and mailbox number
    • Incoming call number
    • Outgoing call number
    • GPS location
    • Network location
    • List of accounts (including your google e-mail address)
    • Account auth tokens
    • Contacts
    • Call logs
    • Calendar
    • SMS
    • MMS
    • Browser bookmarks and history
    • System logs
    • SIM info (operator, country)
    • Network info (operator, country)
    For device ID, phone and mailbox number, SIM serial, subscriber ID and device location it also allows supplying custom or random values.

Why you would want to use it:

• Applicaitons do NOT crash when access to private data is blocked (unlike with Permissions Denied or CM)
    • Fine-grained tuning of access to private data
    • No background service needed
    • Very small memory footprint (~700KB)
    • No impact on battery life
    • No impact on performance (5ms overhead on access to private data; yes, that's 0.005s)
    • 100% reliable unlike ROOT applications (LBE), which need to start their background service on boot (see android underground to learn why this is an issue)
    • No ROOT required for the app to run
    • No Android permissions required for the app to run
    • Open-source

Download:

Automatic PDroid Patcher for Windows (XP/Vista/7):

• JDK 6 or newer is required (get it here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u25-download-346242.html)
    • Install JDK 6 into the default directory (don't change anything when installing)
    • .NET Framework 2.0 or newer required (ships with Windows since XP SP2)
    • Currently only supports Gingerbread (Android 2.3)
    • Will only work with deodexed ROMs (take a look into your ROM's system/framework directory; if there are any *.odex files, your ROM is NOT deodexed)
    • You will need to re-create your settings backup after updating from version 1.27 (it is not compatible with the newer version)

Download PDroid Patcher v1.32 Beta 0.321 for Windows

Patch Installation Requirements:

Installation Instructions:
    1. BACKUP YOUR ROM (HOWTO)
    2. Make a PDroid Patch for your ROM with the PDroid Patcher and put the patch on your SD card
    3. Boot your device into your custom (CWM) recovery (Desire HD: vol down + power)
    4. If you flashed the patch before but PDroid said it still was not installed, then select "mount /system"
    5. Select "install zip from sdcard"
    6. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    7. Select the PDroid patch you have put on your SD card
    8. After flashing is finished, reboot the device
    9. Install the PDroid app from the Android Market
    10. Rate the app at the Android market ;) (let me know, if you have any issues beforehand)

Patch Changelog:

1.32: Fixed updating from version 1.27 and below
    1.31: Fixed patching incompatibility with some ROMs (like Zeus v5)
    1.30:
    • Fixed the alarm being put to snooze every time a call is received or made
    • Fixed FC for some applications (like Yandex Maps)
    • Fixed bootloops for AT&T and SonyEricsson devices (hopefully)
    • Many small tweaks
    1.27: Fixed an issue, where the Touchwiz launcher (and probably others) would continuously crash
    1.26: Fixed an issue, which would make Google Listen and probably other apps crash
    1.25:
    • Fixed an issue, where PDroid would conflict with some ROOT applications making them freeze
    • Fixed random geocoordinates generation
    • Fixed other minor bugs
    1.22: Fixed the patch version reporting bug (v1.21 reports that it's 1.2) :)
    1.21: Fixed the bug where the device would sometimes boot loop right after the boot is finished
    1.2: Added data access notification feature
    1.1: Bugfixes
    1.0: Initial release

Source:

• Download: PDroid 2.3.4 source (v1.27) (yes it is based on 2.3.4 but also works with 2.3.3 and 2.3.5 flawlessly)
    • Get the 2.3.4 source from AOSP (branch: android-2.3.4_r1)
    • Extract the patches from the above archive to the 2.3.4 tree root
    • Run:
      Code:
      patch -p1 -i build.patch
      patch -p1 -i frameworks.patch
      patch -p1 -i libcore.patch
    Building from source:
    1. Make a clean build
    2. Apply the patches (see above)
    3. Run:
      Code:
      source build/envsetup.sh
      make update-api
      mmm frameworks/base
      mmm frameworks/base/services/java
      mmm libcore
      make snod

FAQ:

I do not have Market access, where can I download the PDroid app?
    Right here

What about controlling the internet access?
    Controlling access to the network/internet requires either patching the kernel or using ROOT access within the PDroid app. I try avoiding the former due to portability and the latter due to user privacy/security reasons. I am looking into adding internet access control in a way, which would be the most acceptable/convenient for the user. However, this feature currently isn't on the top of my to-do list.

How do I make a patch manually myself?
    For experienced developers the following basic steps for creating a PDroid patch should be enough to get you started:
    • Make a clean AOSP build (2.3.4, assuming that your ROM is based on 2.3.x)
    • Make another build with PDroid sources added
    • Decompile the framework.jar, services.jar and core.jar files inside the system/framework directory (of both above builds) using apktool
    • Diff the output so that you know, which parts were changed by PDroid
    • Decompile the above three files from your ROM, you want to patch
    • Add the missing code to your ROM files based on the above diff
    • Recompile your patched ROM files using apktool

Do you plan on adding Froyo/ICS support?
    Yes. But I have not ported PDroid to Froyo or ICS yet. No ETAs yet. You'll need some patience there.

Will you provide a public source code repository for PDroid?
    I might, when I get some more spare time :)

Can I backup the privacy settings with TitaniumBackup?
    Yes, however you will need to backup your settings to internal memory (PDroid preferences) before making a backup with TitaniumBackup. After restoring with TitaniumBackup, you will need to restore the previously backed up settings. Alternatively you can backup privacy settings to the SD card.

Can I use LBE Privacy Guard together with PDroid?
    Yes.

I have applied the correct patch but my device does not boot, how do I find out what the error is?
    • Restore your backup
    • Get the Android SDK
    • Install it (you don't need the eclipse part)
    • Enable USB-debugging on your device
    • Connect it to your PC
    • Start ddms, which is located in the android-sdk-[platform]\tools directory
    • Apply PDroid patch
    • Reboot the device
    • When your device appears in the ddms window, click on it to see the system log
    • Filter the log by "error"
    • Watch the system log for errors and post them here ;)

I have flashed a patch but I am having very weird issues I didn't have before (like you cannot unlock the SIM card or there are weird graphics etc.)?
    Have you flashed other mods to your ROM? If so, PDroid is most likely conflicting with them. You will need to create a patch for your customized ROM.

Also make sure that you are using a patch appropriate for your ROM (the CyanogenMod patches for stable 7.1 will mostly not work on nightlies unless the link says so).

How do I make a patch for my device after I have flashed some other mods?
    If your other mods DO NOT replace any of the three files: framework.jar, services.jar or core.jar in /system/framework, you can just create a patch normally based on your original ROM file.

Otherwise you will need to extract those three files from your device (use a root file manager or adb pull), put them into your ROM zip (also in /system/framework) and then create a PDroid patch based on the ROM zip.
    Reserved, just in case ;)
    Hi guys, I'm sorry for the continuous lack of updates to PDroid. The ICS update is almost ready. However, I'm currently moving and spending all my free time on renovating the new apartment, so I never get to finishing and releasing it. It might take a while until I'm done.

I'll try to update the code when I have a free minute or two, so that at least the hackers amongst you will be able to make their own PDroid builds.
    Short update on ICS progress: It does seem to work in the emulator. Patching real ROMs next ;).
    PDroidPatcher-v1.31

Here is PDroidPatcher-v1.31 :cool:
    Code:
      File: PDroidPatcher-v1.31.zip
    CRC-32: ac588eaa
       MD4: 5406d23053e69a9e03b68125999f7344
       MD5: 5b01a3b2a1a0b3aa68936a33dc7f7365
     SHA-1: 24da1f0aab6a215ecd24a9a1e122d6bb52b193e5
    grEEtZ,
    gongoscho