[Q] Enabling ART causes Nexus 7 to lag

Search This thread

gkhemka

Dec 22, 2013
Kolkata
I am using Slimkat ROM build 4997 with F2FS on my Nexus 7 Grouper

Enabling ART on this device seems to cause major lag and slowdowns. Can anyone help on why this is happening? I was expecting faster performance compared to Dalvik.

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA

Enabling ART on this device seems to cause major lag and slowdowns. Can anyone help on why this is happening? I was expecting faster performance compared to Dalvik.

ART is still hit and miss because not all apps are compatible with it, yet. I have a simple setup with my N7 and ART runs just fine. I'm not running Slimkat at this time, however.

Have u tried any other rom?

Did u try some other rom? Im using liquidsmooth with art and it is seriously fast. Btw, ART basically reduces app loading times not much else. Try overclocking if u want a serious improvement in performance :)

Ironic

Feb 21, 2012
I would not overclock the N7. There is a big battery drain even without OC. And the speed improvement isn't that much. For me ART needed it's time establish and then it ran smooth.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

I was just looking for this topic myself. Same.. I'm running AOKP 4.4.4 on f2fs.. We all know the N7 2012 is a lag monster but I figured ART wouldn't hurt, but in reality I'm seeing slower launches, in-app lags, just random stutters in apps that I've never seen before.

I'm going back to Dalvik, looks like it's not just me. Maybe ART wasn't on this chipset for a reason (not optimized for Tegra 3 etc).