ICS Control v.21 - utility for controlling internet connection sharing

Search This thread

neemypeemy

Aug 27, 2007
fastest speeds- usb or wifi?

I've just downloaded this and am going to try it out..

For those that have done speed tests, does it do better as Wifi or USB?

Nick Collision

Oct 4, 2007
ICS Control does not bypass IPNAT driver.

Read the title.

The "ICS Control Panel" uses the "IPNAT" driver, which is the same driver we all use. They are from one and the same package. The "Internet Sharing" application is just a GUI for that driver. The whole package revolves around that driver.

Nunim

Dec 26, 2007
I've just downloaded this and am going to try it out..

For those that have done speed tests, does it do better as Wifi or USB?

I've found the speeds are slightly faster on USB, around 100kps or so downstream, but it saves a lot of battery because it doesn't have to use the Wifi radio and can draw power from USB.

n7ekg

Mar 23, 2008
The adapter names differ from device to device. For sharing over WiFi:
1) To go your WiFi settings and select the "only computer to computer" under "Networks to Access" dropdown menu. Select "Add New" in the network list and pick a network name. Select "Work" in the "connects to" option and check the "this is a device to device connection" box. You can set up security if you know how and wish to do so.
2) Run ICSControl. Go to the bottom and hit Set All Defaults. Now go back to the top. Set your public interface to "Cellular Line" or "GPRS". If you don't have either of those then make a guess at what the cellular modem is called. Set your private interface to the name of your wireless card, usually it is easy to spot because it will have a W in it somewhere. Check the "Set Private IP" box.
3) Tap Start ICS.
4) Your laptop should now be able to connect to the adhoc network.
OK, done all that. My laptop can now see the HTC, and can connect, but it never gets an IP address, even though I've verified that the DHCP box is checked. Incidentally, this is the same problem I had with WMWR.

Is there some sort of tweak I have to do to the registry or something? The phone is an HTC Mogul (Alltel PPC6800).

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Read the title.

The "ICS Control Panel" uses the "IPNAT" driver, which is the same driver we all use. They are from one and the same package. The "Internet Sharing" application is just a GUI for that driver. The whole package revolves around that driver.

This is true. But it is also worth pointing out that intshrgui.exe ("Internet Sharing") does not control ipnat directly, it uses intshare.dll which has a very limited API and appears to dial the internet in a way that lets carriers know you're sharing. ICS Control doesn't use intshare.dll.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
OK, done all that. My laptop can now see the HTC, and can connect, but it never gets an IP address, even though I've verified that the DHCP box is checked. Incidentally, this is the same problem I had with WMWR.

Is there some sort of tweak I have to do to the registry or something? The phone is an HTC Mogul (Alltel PPC6800).

Can you try giving your laptop a static IP and then pinging the phone, which will have the IP address listed next to the "Set Private IP" checkbox in ICS Control?

etphonehome

Aug 26, 2007
okay, I got a noob question. So how do you work this thing? I pulled up the ICS control program and set public interface to cellular, private interface to cellular, checked set private IP, checked auto connect to network and sprint pcs. I then hit start ics, nothing happens. I am connected to my laptop via usb cable. I am running this through Sprint's Mogul.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
okay, I got a noob question. So how do you work this thing? I pulled up the ICS control program and set public interface to cellular, private interface to cellular, checked set private IP, checked auto connect to network and sprint pcs. I then hit start ics, nothing happens. I am connected to my laptop via usb cable. I am running this through Sprint's Mogul.

The public interface is the one that can access the internet. The private interface is the one on the network that you want to give internet access to. They shouldn't be set to the same thing. Change your private interface to the wireless adapter, it's the one that starts with T. Then hit Start ICS. You should now be able to connect to the adhoc wireless network with other devices like laptops, etc.

Daewoo

Dec 25, 2007
I just wanted to give two thumbs up to this app. I have removed WMwifirouter in favor of this. It adds a world of functionality to the device. Looking at the "coming soons" and apparent plans for future development in the "help" tab, this may well turn out to be the most useful networking app out there. Good Job!

etphonehome

Aug 26, 2007
The public interface is the one that can access the internet. The private interface is the one on the network that you want to give internet access to. They shouldn't be set to the same thing. Change your private interface to the wireless adapter, it's the one that starts with T. Then hit Start ICS. You should now be able to connect to the adhoc wireless network with other devices like laptops, etc.

Thanks but for some reason my wifi is not working correctly. I tried to do as you advised and wifi router pops up for a second and then it goes away completely. The same thing happens when I try to use my WMWifiRouter program. Its my phone, I believe I dropped it one too many times. But anyways, I still cannot connect through usb. I tried all of the options on private interface. Am I still missing something. My public interface is set to cellular.

Darthus

Mar 26, 2008
I have that same question as I am attempting to do this to get my PSP to go through my phone and it won't support ad hoc, so I can't use WMWifiRouter.

Also, I have Ipnat.dll in my windows directory, but when I try to run icscontrol.exe off of my storage card it gives me an error saying it's not a trusted file etc. Do I have to run it in the same directory as the ipnat.dll? I do have a registry editor if that will help the issue. I'm running a custom Windows mobile 6 on a PPC-6700.

Thanks!

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
I have that same question as I am attempting to do this to get my PSP to go through my phone and it won't support ad hoc, so I can't use WMWifiRouter.

Also, I have Ipnat.dll in my windows directory, but when I try to run icscontrol.exe off of my storage card it gives me an error saying it's not a trusted file etc. Do I have to run it in the same directory as the ipnat.dll? I do have a registry editor if that will help the issue. I'm running a custom Windows mobile 6 on a PPC-6700.

Thanks!

No, the location doesn't make a difference. If you are saying that the error indicates that ipnat.dll is not signed, this is because the tcp/ip stack is attempting to load the ipnat driver and it will not do so unless it is signed. To get around this you have to turn off security. There are files in the WM5 SDK from MS (free download) called SDKCerts.Cab and SecurityOff.cpf which should do this. Just open the cab first then the cpf.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Thanks but for some reason my wifi is not working correctly. I tried to do as you advised and wifi router pops up for a second and then it goes away completely. The same thing happens when I try to use my WMWifiRouter program. Its my phone, I believe I dropped it one too many times. But anyways, I still cannot connect through usb. I tried all of the options on private interface. Am I still missing something. My public interface is set to cellular.

It sounds like your wifi is being flaky. Try making your laptop/pc and pda connect to the same adhoc network at the same time, they should find each other then and both should show the status as connected.

etphonehome

Aug 26, 2007
It sounds like your wifi is being flaky. Try making your laptop/pc and pda connect to the same adhoc network at the same time, they should find each other then and both should show the status as connected.

My laptop would find my ppc and when I am able to connect, it would connect for a very brief moment. Then the my laptop would say "Waiting for other users to connect to your ad-hoc network" At this time I am giving up on my wifi issue unless someone comes up with an amazing discovery. But I'm still not able to connect via USB. I tried it with private interface set to "RNDISFN1" and still nothing happens. My phone dials #777 but thats about it, my laptop still does not get it.

Jan 31, 2007
Hi...another noob asking what is probably a silly question. I did all the steps listed and connected to my Mogul, no problem. But now what? I tried to fire up my browser on my laptop and no luck. I'm connected wirelessly though and can see a few bytes being transfered. I never saw the phone try to dial though.

So I connected to the internet via my phone first so I had an active data connection....same thing.

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing. Seems like a pretty sweet application.

lysdexical

Mar 14, 2008
Hi...another noob asking what is probably a silly question. I did all the steps listed and connected to my Mogul, no problem. But now what? I tried to fire up my browser on my laptop and no luck. I'm connected wirelessly though and can see a few bytes being transfered. I never saw the phone try to dial though.

So I connected to the internet via my phone first so I had an active data connection....same thing.

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing. Seems like a pretty sweet application.

Are you able to ping the mogul from your laptop? If you're using the Set Private IP option, then the IP you see there should be the mogul's IP.

kapteg92

Mar 29, 2007
Is there a way to put a wep or wap key so not everyone is able to connect when we use it as a wifi access point ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE
    April 5, 2008 - v0.21 released.

ICS Control is a GUI front-end for Internet Connection Sharing, a component of Microsoft Windows Mobile. It can be configured to do a variety of things including sharing your cellular internet connection over an adhoc WiFi network.

Requirements: .NET Compact Framework 2.0 and Windows Mobile 5 or later with the IPNAT driver included (most WM6 builds have this built-in). The "Internet Sharing" application that some phones have is not required, but IPNAT is.

ICSControl is a single .exe file, included in the zip file below. You can place it directly in /Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ on your device and it will appear as an icon in Programs. Or you can place it elsewhere and create a shortcut.

Comments, bug reports, and requests are welcome.

If you like this program and would like to express your appreciation with money, you can donate via Paypal.

Changelog

v0.21
    - Added host names from DHCP leases to DMZ and InternalHost dropdown lists.

v0.2
    - DHCP Lease editing is completed.
    - Virtual Server (aka incoming port mapping) configuration is completed.
    - Application definitions (aka outgoing port triggers) configuration is completed.
    - Added really simple icons.
    - Attempts to accomodate weird ipnat driver configurations.
    - Other minor changes/fixes.

v0.11
    - Added auto-dialing to Connection Manager destinations
    - Added private interface IP setting
    - Fixed bugs involving the up/down controls.
    - IMPORTANT: If you were using v.1, some of your saved settings may be messed up. To fix this, press the Set All Defaults button at the bottom of the settings panel.

More info on Internet Connection Sharing

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:

Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
    Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
    Cellular to USB

But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:

VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
    Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
    Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)