[WARNING] Do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod | FIXED in 3.0.2.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

letom

Dec 7, 2010
I think people need to understand what we mean when we say bricked. Means it doesn't do anything, doesn't boot hence you can't get into bootloader or recovery. The idea of a bricked phone is that there's nothing else we can do, only HTC have the power to unbrick.

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
If you are familiar with "sdparted", it is an old G1 script created by XDA member 51dusty.

It made it's way into JF recovery and AmonRa recovery, and everything was fine and dandy, because all phones sdcards were on "/dev/block/mmcblk0". Then, new phones like the DHD started coming out very recently, and their internal memory would be at "/dev/block/mmcblk0" while their SD card would be at "/dev/block/mmcblk1".

So, sdparted would run, and happily continue partitioning "/dev/block/mmcblk0"... which is the internal NAND. Needless to say, this results in a brick.

The fix was to remove the assumption about what the SD card is located, and figure it out intelligently using /etc/fstab, which is guaranteed to be correct.

The fix can be viewed here:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/f1bde365724b63b0f2b97304167fe60da9fd44cd

Reactions: shad0wf0x

rorydaredkign

Jun 20, 2007
London
I think people need to understand what we mean when we say bricked. Means it doesn't do anything, doesn't boot hence you can't get into bootloader or recovery. The idea of a bricked phone is that there's nothing else we can do, only HTC have the power to unbrick.
Not necessarily, a lot of threads I have read have said they can get into the volume up + power=flashing orange light mode. I cant really do much as I have a working device as cant risk screwing it up, but someone with a bricked device may be able to achieve something. If bricks can be fixed by JTAG, and by special dongles on other phones and there is talk of resistors on usb cables unlocking secret modes, its worth a go.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Not necessarily, a lot of threads I have read have said they can get into the volume up + power=flashing orange light mode. I cant really do much as I have a working device as cant risk screwing it up, but someone with a bricked device may be able to achieve something. If bricks can be fixed by JTAG, and by special dongles on other phones and there is talk of resistors on usb cables unlocking secret modes, its worth a go.

I have a dongle, it was used for the Captivate to get your phone into download mode to be able to put on the "stock" rom using Odin (Odin was a leaked firmware tool downloader) It worked in situations where the phone could not be put into download mode to receive the rom and all is components for flashing.

Interesting I wonder if more talented people here (at least way more talented than me!!!lol) could devise something such as a dongle/usb jig (as they are called in the captivate community) to fix bricked devices.

rorydaredkign

Jun 20, 2007
London
I have a dongle, it was used for the Captivate to get your phone into download mode to be able to put on the "stock" rom using Odin (Odin was a leaked firmware tool downloader) It worked in situations where the phone could not be put into download mode to receive the rom and all is components for flashing.

Interesting I wonder if more talented people here (at least way more talented than me!!!lol) could devise something such as a dongle/usb jig (as they are called in the captivate community) to fix bricked devices.
I really think its possible, this mode is identified as qualcomm android diagnostics.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Last edited:

M_T_M

Troll King & Retired Señor Mod - I Regret Nothing!
Apr 14, 2009
Texas
Not to be a buzz killer...but. let's follow the rules and keep this thraed on topic, please.

Cheers,

M_T_M
Your "I'm a buzz killer" Mod

MegaHz

Jul 27, 2005
www.megahz.org

yes but does anybody have any idea of what are htc's procedure to unbrick?

do you think that the JIG method will work for us as well?

Last edited:

kgulruh

Feb 10, 2011
If you are familiar with "sdparted", it is an old G1 script created by XDA member 51dusty.

It made it's way into JF recovery and AmonRa recovery, and everything was fine and dandy, because all phones sdcards were on "/dev/block/mmcblk0". Then, new phones like the DHD started coming out very recently, and their internal memory would be at "/dev/block/mmcblk0" while their SD card would be at "/dev/block/mmcblk1".

So, sdparted would run, and happily continue partitioning "/dev/block/mmcblk0"... which is the internal NAND. Needless to say, this results in a brick.

The fix was to remove the assumption about what the SD card is located, and figure it out intelligently using /etc/fstab, which is guaranteed to be correct
But saying that you should understand that CWM would have bricked all the dhd's that have been rooted. BUT we did succesfully formatted our sd's by previouce CWM's. And this issue started recently. I had formatted my sd and deleted sd-ext by CWM 3.0.0.6 4 or 5 days before without an issue. HAPPY ME.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA App

thay

Jul 11, 2010
Is the bug still present in 3.0.2.6 ClockworkMod ?
Any info about this?

thay

Jul 11, 2010
read the f.p. look at the date of the post that says today "fix is made"
combine this with the knowledge that a new release of cwm is released, to many coincidences :D

coincidences are no certainties ..do you make an sd formatting test?
An official announcement would be appreciated.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title says, do not partition SD card using ClockworkMod or ROM Manager.

There has been multiple bricked devices already, all after partitioning SD in CWM. The device suddenly turns off while the partitioning is in progress, and never turns on again. We do not know what causes this issue yet, but I am sure that ClockworkMod team will look into it.

Update:
    Looking into this. I don't have a DHD but I have an idea why this is happening.
    Update 2:
    I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.
    Update 3:

New ClockworkMod 3.0.2.6 and ROM Manager 4.1.0.0 are out! There has been multiple confirmations of the problem being fixed, but also ONE brick. So take the fix with a grain of salt.
    Ok............

This thread has been stickied by me in order to inform everybody about this situation.
    Do report if you have gone through this problem only...no more thanks or OT chatter, please.
    I'm in contact with the Mod team to investigate even further if this does affect any other devices as well.
    Please be patient and do not pollute this thread ;)

Cheers,

M_T_M

@jkoljo...thanks for your help on this very important matter.
    Wow, reviving old & obsolete threads is not cool. Please apply a little more common sense before posting.

Thread Closed.
    I will edit the topic to [FIXED] when someone confirms SD partitioning to be working. I believe that it is quite hard to find a person who is willing to test that..

edit: ok, confirmed!
    I have a fix ready now. I will need to release a new recovery and new ROM Manager to address this.