[PATCH] Get back your PINK screen!

Search This thread

jeremysherriff

Nov 8, 2011
Auckland
My burning question (and I think others have the same question)... with this "fix" for the pink screen / bootloader lock now available, what official rom version is the best to use for upgrading to the .35 kernel?

Or are they all the same, if you're going to simply flash a custom rom 5 minutes later?

julle131

Mar 24, 2011
My burning question (and I think others have the same question)... with this "fix" for the pink screen / bootloader lock now available, what official rom version is the best to use for upgrading to the .35 kernel?

Or are they all the same, if you're going to simply flash a custom rom 5 minutes later?

b517 or b518, because then you dont have to unlock the bootloader ;). Its faster:D. But i dont think it matter any other way.

jeremysherriff

Nov 8, 2011
Auckland
b517 or b518, because then you dont have to unlock the bootloader ;). Its faster:D. But i dont think it matter any other way.
Decided to go with B526 as I hope the latest version has less likelihood of losing the IMEI...lol Huawei is crap.

Anyway, I now have a phone running B526 + root + CWM + unlocked bootloader + a full backup (via Ghost, dd on Windows is not fun!)

Qqqxxxzzz

Mar 1, 2012
It works with b528. I'm not 100% sure zip works but it just runs same command so it should work.

Sent from my u8800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrasquinho

Fruitgull

Apr 10, 2011
I have b518's bootloader and am thinking of downgrading to stock b138. Will this work?

If not. Can I manually install b138's bootloader from somewhere before I install it?

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
Thanks!

So if you don't have a locked bootloader a new bootloader is always installed when you upgrade/downgrade stock rom?

My experience has shown that yes, all stock ROMs seem to install bootloader from the same version.

The bootloader is simply a binary, it hasn't got any locks and security on it, unlike in HTC phones.

Reactions: magnostik

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
My experience has shown that yes, all stock ROMs seem to install bootloader from the same version.

The bootloader is simply a binary, it hasn't got any locks and security on it, unlike in HTC phones.

But once we install the stock ROMs that have a locked bootloader, it stays locked no matter what other stock ROM we install, correct?

Sent from my U8800

Blefish

Aug 19, 2011
But once we install the stock ROMs that have a locked bootloader, it stays locked no matter what other stock ROM we install, correct?

Sent from my U8800

The work "locked" is not really right in our phone. It's not locked, it's simply modified "pink screen". Every stock ROM has a bootloader packed on, and will be installed when flashing. So it doesn't matter which rom you install, you will get bootloader from the same version as the rom you're flashing (B526 --> B526 bootloader; B138 --> B138 bootloader).

I hope you get me now :).

Reactions: magnostik

fjsferreira

Nov 16, 2009
Ponta Delgada
Xiaomi Mi 11i
The work "locked" is not really right in our phone. It's not locked, it's simply modified "pink screen". Every stock ROM has a bootloader packed on, and will be installed when flashing. So it doesn't matter which rom you install, you will get bootloader from the same version as the rom you're flashing (B526 --> B526 bootloader; B138 --> B138 bootloader).

I hope you get me now :).

Oh I get it now... I was confusing the locked part with the no USB access in pink mode... so my question is, once we install a stock that has no USB access to pink mode, then, no matter what other stock we install, even 2.2, it will still have no access to pink mode, correct? At least that's my experience, and that's why this thread is so great, it provided me with a way to restore that USB storage...

Sent from my U8800

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the newer official ROMs, Huawei included a "feature" to lock the bootloader and therefore, get less bricks. But happened the opposite - if your cust partition gets corrupted/deleted, you'll have a high change of bricking your device.

The new bootloader is not actually locked, it's changed to use QPST (Qualcomm Product & Support Tools). As it needs a code, we can't use it.

This method flashes the B518 bootloader straight to your phone, so you will get back USB.

Apply only if you have upgraded your phone to B522 or newer. You may have a custom ROM on top, but the base has to be B522 or newer.
    Tested by myself on B522, B526 & B528.

The steps required to get back pink/blue screen USB:

Automatic flashable zip is pretty much fail proof, but I have warned you.
    Automatic method (recommended):
    1. Download update-B518-bootloader.zip from MediaFire.
    2. Save it to the root of your SD Card.
    3. Start the phone in recovery mode (recommended recovery is 5.5.0.4)
    4. Select "install zip from sdcard"
    5. Select "chooze zip from sdcard"
    6. Select the zip you downloaded before.
    7. Select yes.
    8. Reboot and enjoy!
    NB! Be careful when doing this manually, one wrong move and your phone might get bricked.
    Manual method (not recommended):
    1. Download the bootloader.bin (B518) from MediaFire.
    2. Copy it to the root of your SD card.
    3. Use a Terminal Emulator if on phone or start ADB and write in "adb shell".
    4. Write in "su" to get root rights.
    5. Write in "dd if=/sdcard/bootloader.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" to copy the bootloader.bin from SD card to the bootloader partition.
    6. All done!

Protip: When using Linux distribution, pink screen mounts your internal SD card, data, cache and system partitions. This happens because Windows does not mount extX partitions by default.

I suggest everyone to do this as long as you have rooted your phone and want to flash custom ROMs/kernels.
    Now you can recreate your backups with this tutorial.

Special thanks to dancer_69, who sent me B518 bootloader.
    Wow!the big secret!:)

Sent from my u8800
    Nope, but for the information, it's going to be an app named X5Toolbox, and from there you can flash recoveries, boot images, bootloaders, perhaps even AMSS, restore and backup IMEI etc.
    Hey, how is doing X5ToolBox? ;)

Sent from my Ideos X5

Some progress made, I have to work on the user interface. I'm not used to mobile app programming (especially the graphical part). First beta should be available within ~2 weeks.
    2.2 has pink screen already unlocked, so that has nothing to do with this. This is for flashing only if you have a locked bootloader, which is the B522 ROM.
    I am creating an app to backup your phone fully even if it is turned on. That way there is a chance to restore the phone if something brakes during the process.

Sent from my U8800
    This is a Big step! Blefish and dancer_69 thank you for this.