did anyone else use AT&T Next to get this phone?

Search This thread

HRodMusic

Nov 30, 2010
Seattle
So heres my case, after the 12 months would they take my phone back even tho its rooted and bootloader unlocked? just wondering because im gonna upgrade to the m9!!

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
So heres my case, after the 12 months would they take my phone back even tho its rooted and bootloader unlocked? just wondering because im gonna upgrade to the m9!!

yes they will take it back. the reps dont know enough to check for root and unlocked bootloader. all they will check for is if it has "normal" wear and tear as per your at&t next agreement.

rahtrip

Jun 24, 2013
Is next worth it? These Damn salesmen keep trying to get my dad to switch and he wants to do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
The way Next was explained to me by a customer service rep was this: You get a phone on Next and you pay monthly on it, on the unsubsidized price. As long as you're paying on the phone monthly, you get a discount off of your bill. When you stop paying for the phone, the discount is removed. But you never really own the phone.

So you're stuck constantly renting a phone from AT&T to keep your bill lower. They now have you even more firmly by the balls.

This was how it was explained to me, but not all reps know what they're talking about. So if anybody knows more or differently, feel free to correct me.

Anyway, I used a cross-upgrade to get mine.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Is next worth it? These Damn salesmen keep trying to get my dad to switch and he wants to do it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You end up paying more in the long run IF you switch at the halfway point....but if you run the full payment plan then you obviously end up paying the same amount for the phone. That being said, the 2 year contract is ultimately cheaper by several hundred dollars. But of course you have to wait 2 years to get subsidized pricing, and if you're a gadget-addict such as myself then NEXT might be a good deal because you can get a new phone without having to worry about your two year wait period.

Ultimately they make way more money off of you....otherwise they wouldn't offer it :D

owlbeard

Nov 29, 2010
Fargo
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
You end up paying more in the long run IF you switch at the halfway point....but if you run the full payment plan then you obviously end up paying the same amount for the phone. That being said, the 2 year contract is ultimately cheaper by several hundred dollars. But of course you have to wait 2 years to get subsidized pricing, and if you're a gadget-addict such as myself then NEXT might be a good deal because you can get a new phone without having to worry about your two year wait period.

Ultimately they make way more money off of you....otherwise they wouldn't offer it :D

Actually, Next is cheaper than a 2 year contract. With Next you pay the full price of $640 plus tax. With a 2 yr contract you pay $800 plus tax... The phone is $200 up front plus you lose the $25/month Next discount and end up paying $600 extra over the term of the contract...so $800 total.

It's win-win for gadget addicts like me. I don't have to worry about losing resale value of I get a scratch or ding...no need to sell it to break even. I can just bring it back and get the new hotness each year.

bigballa

Feb 24, 2009
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
working for at&t sales for 3 years i find it so awesome looking for phones that are rooted and unlocked. granted when i do see it i let it slide because heck im gonna do the same when i trade mine in lol.

but if they come in complaining about all the stupid issues their having and i find it rooted then i cant help them because theyve got a tmobile phone with an att type rom with tmobile apns and i just sit there and go...if ur gonna root...go learn to read dude.

/gets off soap box

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Actually, Next is cheaper than a 2 year contract. With Next you pay the full price of $640 plus tax. With a 2 yr contract you pay $800 plus tax... The phone is $200 up front plus you lose the $25/month Next discount and end up paying $600 extra over the term of the contract...so $800 total.

Not all plans will receive a $25 subsidy. That's only if you pay for one of the more expensive mobile share plans. All plans below, I think 8 GB, only receive a $15 discount. Doing a cursory search of different sites that have done mathematical analysis on NEXT all conclude the two year subsidy is cheaper. Why would AT&T do it if they weren't going to make money hand over fist?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

owlbeard

Nov 29, 2010
Fargo
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Not all plans will receive a $25 subsidy. That's only if you pay for one of the more expensive mobile share plans. All plans below, I think 8 GB, only receive a $15 discount. Doing a cursory search of different sites that have done mathematical analysis on NEXT all conclude the two year subsidy is cheaper. Why would AT&T do it if they weren't going to make money hand over fist?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Ok. Well, I did the math myself and Next is cheaper for my lines on the 10GB plan.

Regardless of plan, you pay $40/mo with a contract plus $200 up front for the phone right now. That is $1160 for one line over 2 years. With a $15 subsidy one would pay $1240 over 2 years and with a $25 subsidy it is $1000 over 2 years.

So, after 12 months on Next, one will have spent either $684 or $564 for the line depending on the plan vs $680 with a contract...but with Next you can upgrade to a new just released phone and likely keep paying the same amount monthly.

If you don't want to upgrade early and don't get the 10GB or greater plan, it might not be as good for you...unless you keep your phone longer than 2 years. If you do, Next is better.

I've been buying new phones every year (or sooner) and selling my used ones to help finance the new one. I've been doing so since the Palm Treo 650 days...about 10 years now I guess. [Wow, I'm old.] I know how much money I've lost doing that over the years...even when hopping carriers to do so when ETFs were cheaper. Since I obviously plan on spending extra money to get the latest technology more frequently, this option helps spread out the costs and minimizes risk of not being able to sell a phone for the price I need to keep the ball rolling.

Again, it may not be for everyone.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Ok. Well, I did the math myself and Next is cheaper for my lines on the 10GB plan.

Regardless of plan, you pay $40/mo with a contract plus $200 up front for the phone right now. That is $1160 for one line over 2 years. With a $15 subsidy one would pay $1240 over 2 years and with a $25 subsidy it is $1000 over 2 years.

So, after 12 months on Next, one will have spent either $684 or $564 for the line depending on the plan vs $680 with a contract...but with Next you can upgrade to a new just released phone and likely keep paying the same amount monthly.

If you don't want to upgrade early and don't get the 10GB or greater plan, it might not be as good for you...unless you keep your phone longer than 2 years. If you do, Next is better.

I'm really not trying to start a pointless bickering match here, but for the sake of someone trying to make an informed decision here is my math:

Individual 2 GB Plan: $40 per month for the plan + $25 smartphone charge (includes $15 Subsidy off of the $40 fee) + $25 per month for a premium smartphone. Multipled over 12 months = $1,080

2 Year contract: $65 per month for a smartphone plan, 2 GB data + one time $200 fee, multiply the plan cost over 12 months = $980

The cost of the 2 year contract is cheaper in this case by $100, for an individual, for 2 GB of data.

owlbeard

Nov 29, 2010
Fargo
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I'm really not trying to start a pointless bickering match here, but for the sake of someone trying to make an informed decision here is my math:

Individual 2 GB Plan: $40 per month for the plan + $25 smartphone charge (includes $15 Subsidy off of the $40 fee) + $25 per month for a premium smartphone. Multipled over 12 months = $1,080

2 Year contract: $65 per month for a smartphone plan, 2 GB data + one time $200 fee, multiply the plan cost over 12 months = $980

The cost of the 2 year contract is cheaper in this case by $100, for an individual, for 2 GB of data.

I don't want to keep going back and forth here either.

Your math is correct if a 2GB $65 on-contract plan exists, but I don't think it does. They advertise 2GB plans for $65 but that doesn't include a subsidized phone. 1GB on contract for $65 is a possibility and would be slightly cheaper over time if you can live with 1GB per month.

Everyone has different needs and requirements. I am just happy that the US is starting to transform their policies to separate phones and service like many other countries where the cost for mobile data is much more affordable. I've lived places where they dish out data on the cheap and it was glorious. BYOD pricing is getting reasonable and isn't just for MVNOs anymore which is nice.

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Bottom line is that AT&T wouldn't invest money in creating and implementing the Next plan if they weren't going to see more profits from it. More profits means the customer pays more or more customers pay more. They aren't doing this as a convenience to their customers - it's about making more money.

owlbeard

Nov 29, 2010
Fargo
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Right. Businesses don't make changes to decrease their bottom line unless it is to attract more customers. I believe this is an attempt at gaining more customers and more market share while trying to remain competitive in this changing space. At the same time, I imagine it doesn't hurt them financially.

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
Right. Businesses don't make changes to decrease their bottom line unless it is to attract more customers. I believe this is an attempt at gaining more customers and more market share while trying to remain competitive in this changing space. At the same time, I imagine it doesn't hurt them financially.

AT&T makes record profits every quarter, I bet they're willing to take a hit for a quarter or two to stop customers from fleeing to T-Mobile.

rquinn19

Feb 10, 2007
Phila
Me having 5 lines and the 10 GB mobile share it is significantly cheaper for me to do the Next with that $25 discount. When I first converted I didn't had the discount without the Next, but when my contract was up for me to upgrade it was cheaper to do Next than the 2 year contract.

I'll probably pay it off before the year and sell it myself and do another Next when my next phone i want comes out.

edit: ATT doesn't necessarily need to make a killing switching to these plans. If they keep their profits the same, but keep people under contract ( 2 year/or owing money on the Next) longer it makes sense. Carriers fear losing customers more than anything.

Xandlinger

Feb 10, 2010

2 year contract price for 2 year is $80, $40 for the 2GB and then $40 for smartphone charge.

So AT&T Next with an iPhone 5S on the 20 month plan is $32.50 a month.

Next: ($25+$32.50)20 = $1150
2year: ($40x24)+$236 =$1196

That $236 is including the upgrade or activation fee, which is waived on Next as well.

Edit: I guess this is assuming you do the full ride for each the Next agreement and the 2 year contract. Although with Next you have the CHOICE to turn it in sooner and upgrade sooner, you don't HAVE to, which many people are misinformed about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YoungAceAtlanta

Feb 8, 2009
New York, NY
instagram.com

If you're going to be upgrading to a new phone release(which is every year) then "Next" is a great option for you.

Reason why is you going to be stuck in a contract with AT&T for two years. And when the M9 or whatever device you might see next year come out you won't be able to upgrade for the new/upgrade 2 year price tag, you would have to pay full retail($600-$800). Most likely you are going to stop using the older device once the new come out so why not just sign up for Next and keep upgrading every year. If you wanna spend $1,000+ a year for phone service + $600+ every time a new phone comes out then thats up to you.

You can also pay off your phone before a year. you don't have to keep paying $35 a month for the device.

AT&T makes record profits every quarter, I bet they're willing to take a hit for a quarter or two to stop customers from fleeing to T-Mobile.

I doubt T-Mobile is a threat to AT&T or Verizon. they're service is still useless unless you live in one of those "Markets".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm a bit dense on this - I went in today to get the M8 and got blitzed with the Next pitch. We have a 2gb $90 / month for 2 plan, and they said my plan would go up by $15 if I sign a 2 year deal, plus the $34 (IIRC) a month for the phone @ 12 months (18 months was $24.62 ($443.16) vs 12@$34 ($408)).

Contract per year: $596 2 years with 2 year contract ($200 phone $36 activation 24 months of $15 upcharge) basically $298 / yr
    Next per year: $408 for the Next plan after the first year.

Am I missing anything? Also - this thread made it sound like you have to turn the phone in, but the rep at the store said it's yours at the end of the 12 months.

First off, rep was wrong or there was miscommunication. IF you decide to upgrade at 12 months, you have to turn the device back into AT&T, and the device must be in good condition, no cracks on the screen.

Let me go over the math with you. We will use the WHOLE payment plan lengths, not just the upgade dates, same with 2-year.

2GB plan is $40 a month baseline, we will ignore this amount since it is the same regardless.

The cost of a smartphone is $25 baseline, if no contract or BYOD or Next.

The cost of a smartphone is $40 baseline if there is a two year contract (this is why you see the $15 increase on bill if you sign a new 2-year contract, you are no longer out of contract, meaning instead of paying $25 for that line, you are now paying $40, a $15 increase).

The M8 on AT&T Next 12 (20 month term) is $32 a month. On Next 18 (26 month term) it is $24.62 a month. The 2-year contract pricing is $199.99, with a $36 activation fee, 24 months.

Next 12 (20 month term): ($25+32)20 = $1140
    Next 18 (26 month term): ($25+24.62)26 = $1290.12
    2-Year Contract: $200 + $36 + (40*24) = $1196

Now, if you WANT TO, you can turn the phone in after the 12th or 18th payment (hence the Next naming convention), and upgrade again. The remaining 8 payments that you have not made are forgiven and you can choose to upgrade with a new 2-year contract or another AT&T Next Agreement. This is NOT optimal to do, but it is a CHOICE you have. If you make the complete 20 or 26 payments, THEN the device becomes fully yours, the monthly payment falls off, and you KEEP the discount since you still do not have a contract.

As you can see, the Next 12 is the cheapest choice you can make, even though you will see a higher monthly bill. Next 18 just gives you the convenience of not having to pay anything the day you get the phone, which can help families a great deal.

-------------

If you are on 10GB or higher, it gets cheaper.

10GB plan is $100 baseline, this will be ignored since it is the same regardless.

Smartphone with no contract, BYOD or Next is $15.

Smartphone with 2-year contract is $40.

Next 12: ($15+32)20 = $940
    Next 18: ($15+24.62)26 = $1030.12
    2-year Contract: $200 + $36 + (40*24) = $1196

As you can see, Next 12 is still the cheapest choice by far, saving you $256 over the WHOLE life of the agreement. Next 18 is now cheaper than the 2-year contract pricing, saving you $165.88. 2-year plan simply does not make sense in any way if you are on a plan that is 10GB or higher.
    yes they will take it back. the reps dont know enough to check for root and unlocked bootloader. all they will check for is if it has "normal" wear and tear as per your at&t next agreement.

this rep nows well enough :good::good:
    The way Next was explained to me by a customer service rep was this: You get a phone on Next and you pay monthly on it, on the unsubsidized price. As long as you're paying on the phone monthly, you get a discount off of your bill. When you stop paying for the phone, the discount is removed. But you never really own the phone.

So you're stuck constantly renting a phone from AT&T to keep your bill lower. They now have you even more firmly by the balls.

This was how it was explained to me, but not all reps know what they're talking about. So if anybody knows more or differently, feel free to correct me.

Anyway, I used a cross-upgrade to get mine.

You keep the discount when you're done paying for the phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting. I'm going to go have to read the actual contractual obligations myself to get a grasp on this. I don't like going into something like this without knowing everything there is to know about it. And given the fact that I don't trust AT&T or anybody else when it comes to the well-being of my bank account (because they're looking out for the well-being of their own bank account, not mine), it only reinforces my skepticism of any new plan they create.

The rep who told you it goes away was incorrect. You get the $25 discount with Next, BYOD, or no contract ($15 discount if you're below 10 GB mobile share).

At Verizon, you DO lose the discount after the payments are done and the discount does not apply to BYOD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk