Motorola Trade Up $100 Promo - Verizon Moto X

Search This thread

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
Anyone have success trading in an old Moto device after buying a Verizon Moto X for the $100 gift card? The Verizon method is different than the rest of carriers as you have to trade the device in store rather than mail it to Moto. I'm planning on buying a Moto X through Moto Maker with the $100 discount and have got conflicting answers from Verizon if it will qualify. One store said you have to buy the phone direct from Verizon. Another one said it should work - I just need to bring in the box and they will scan the UPC and confirm the promo.

TheRaven65

May 9, 2012
SC
I'm in this boat too... I have an old X2 and want the $100 trade-up discount toward a Moto X DevEd. I went round and round with Motorola support (several different online chat sessions and a couple of emails) about this between this past Saturday and yesterday trying to get an answer before the sale but couldn't get a straight answer from them. As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely NO reason for Verizon to be involved. This is strictly a transaction between us and Motorola. I think they're just trying to force us to do it at a Verizon store so they can be sure to collect their BS activation fee. I scored a discount code and ordered my new Moto X yesterday and I plan to use the "all other carriers" option and send them my X2. One of the email responses I got from them completely ignored my questions about Verizon and instructed me to do just that. I bet that was their way of saying it was OK to sidestep Verizon's BS without saying it explicitly. I figure worst case, they send my X2 back and I have to take it to Verizon after all along with the proof-of-purchase (UPC code/box) from my new Moto X and get the discount that way (and probably have to pay the activation fee).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
Stopped into the actual store today (the one that said this wouldn't work) and got a different story. He said you need to bring in the new Moto X, they'll check the IMEI and verify that it is a new phone and first activated on your account, and then take your trade in device for $100.

I've read people were having issues trading in non Verizon devices to Verizon - apparently their list is different than the one on the site - but I've got a Droid 3 so everything should be good to go.

TheRaven65

May 9, 2012
SC
The thing is.. it's got NOTHING to do with Verizon! You're trading in a device TO MOTOROLA for a rebate when you buy a new device FROM MOTOROLA. It's strictly a transaction between you and Motorola (or SHOULD be)! That's the way it works when you choose "all other carriers"... why shouldn't it work that way for Verizon??? It shouldn't make any difference. The way I see it, this was Motorola's way of making it up to people like me who got stuck with the POS buggy Droid X2 - as well as the other models included in the program that were left behind too soon and not updated to Ice Creme Sandwich. What if I'd bought my X2 when I was on Verizon and had since switched to AT&T? I should still be able to trade in my old device to Motorola and get the rebate if I buy a new one.

Again... I think the whole thing is just a ploy to get you into the store so they can be sure to charge you the activation fee - and possibly push you into a new plan.

I bought an off-contract verizon dev unit and am just mail in a moto admiral using the "all other carriers" method and bypassing Verizon entirely. I read somewhere this works with the off-contract VZW motos.

Hopefully it will work.

I bought an off-contract verizon moto x(not dev unit)and today I went to a verizon store and they said you have to purchase the phone from them and sign a 2-year agreement in order to get the $100.Where did you see that the method you mentioned works?

TheRaven65

May 9, 2012
SC
I bought an off-contract verizon dev unit and am just mail in a moto admiral using the "all other carriers" method and bypassing Verizon entirely. I read somewhere this works with the off-contract VZW motos.

https://www.mototradeup.com/?q=start

Hopefully it will work.

Yep... I'm planning to do the same thing. I AM off-contract (have been since last March) so that may simplify things.

Last edited:

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
Stopped into the actual store today (the one that said this wouldn't work) and got a different story. He said you need to bring in the new Moto X, they'll check the IMEI and verify that it is a new phone and first activated on your account, and then take your trade in device for $100.

I've read people were having issues trading in non Verizon devices to Verizon - apparently their list is different than the one on the site - but I've got a Droid 3 so everything should be good to go.

Finally got a chance to do this since I had to exchange my first device.

Big surprise, Verizon changed their story and told me this only works if you're upgrading and signing a contract. Unfortunately the verbiage on the Moto trade up site ("Visit the nearest Verizon Wireless store to make the trade. Trade in your eligible used phone, purchase your eligible new phone, and you'll receive a $100 Verizon Wireless gift card") gives way to this, so I'm not sure what else you could argue. Typical of Verizon to weasel their way into someone else's promotion and want a piece of it. I will try the other store in my area but don't have much confidence it will work.

Hopefully it will work.

Did you end up doing this? Bit of a gamble I suppose they'd send your phone back if it didn't work.

TheRaven65

May 9, 2012
SC
I did last week, but it will take 6-8 weeks to hear back. And they will not return the device if there is a problem. So I'm risking $20 here.
I did this too... bought a Verizon Moto X DevEd online and sent my Droid X2 in using the "all other carriers" option. Waiting to hear back from them. I didn't see anything about them not sending your device back if there's a problem... but I will raise holy hell with them if they try to balk on this rebate. This has NOTHING to do with Verizon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan

Hopefully it will work.

Received this email today. I am on verizon and went through the website after buying my x off contract (not the verizon store):

We've received your submission and have verified it meets all of our terms and conditions. Please allow us 6-8 weeks to process your device and mail you the $100 Motorola Visa prepaid card.

Reactions: jidcman

jidcman

Dec 29, 2011
Received this email today. I am on verizon and went through the website after buying my x off contract (not the verizon store):

We've received your submission and have verified it meets all of our terms and conditions. Please allow us 6-8 weeks to process your device and mail you the $100 Motorola Visa prepaid card.
Thanks for posting this, I'm with Verizon too and I used your same method getting a Developer edition and sending my Admiral.

I was concerned because I haven't received an update, I sent it on June 7th and the tracking number shows they received it on the 12th.

So they actually took 2 months to process your Admiral?

How long after their confirmation did you received the actual gift card?

Thanks!

See pic for details...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404256540480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404256540480.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for posting this, I'm with Verizon too and I used your same method getting a Developer edition and sending my Admiral.

I was concerned because I haven't received an update, I sent it on June 7th and the tracking number shows they received it on the 12th.

Thanks!

See pic for details...

I just got the card about a month ago. They claimed to have sent it 3 times prior to that (I emailed them repeatedly) but it never arrived until the 4th attempt.

The odds of the post office losing 3 pieces of mail in a row is essentially 0. In other words, they aren't sending some (or all) of the cards at all until you complain.

Last edited:
Reactions: jidcman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hopefully it will work.

Thanks!

See pic for details...

I just got the card about a month ago. They claimed to have sent it 3 times prior to that (I emailed them repeatedly) but it never arrived until the 4th attempt.

The odds of the post office losing 3 pieces of mail in a row is essentially 0. In other words, they aren't sending some (or all) of the cards at all until you complain.