[Q] [NOOB] Flash a 4.4.2 custom rom over a 4.3 firmware ok?

Search This thread

Liberr

Mar 2, 2014
Amsterdam
I had some trouble rooting after I first did a 4.4.2 OTA. So I downgraded to 4.3 and got root and installed TWRP without any trouble.

So from a 4.3 firmware I went to Cyanogenmod (Android 4.4.2). Is that ok ? Or do I need to upgrade radio, boot or other parts that dont come with a custom rom? In other words: is a (rooted) 4.4.2 firmware a precondition for installing alternative 4.4.2 roms?

small-mallet

Apr 14, 2010
Well, everything might not work perfectly as many things (though little) changed from 4.3 to 4.4. Yup, most of those things (radio,etc) change, flashing a cm11 rom wont change those and cm will most likely need them. Better to upgrade to 4.4. Also, does ART (new kitkat runtime) need anything new from kernel or anything? I don't see anyone who seems to have tried this and might mostly not work.

Also, What root trouble did you have? Easier to solve that issue than deal with any new issues that might arise from this.

Reactions: Liberr

Liberr

Mar 2, 2014
Amsterdam
Well, everything might not work perfectly as many things (though little) changed from 4.3 to 4.4. Yup, most of those things (radio,etc) change, flashing a cm11 rom wont change those and cm will most likely need them. Better to upgrade to 4.4. Also, does ART (new kitkat runtime) need anything new from kernel or anything? I don't see anyone who seems to have tried this and might mostly not work.

Also, What root trouble did you have? Easier to solve that issue than deal with any new issues that might arise from this.

Thanks. I will look into that. The kernel is included in a ROM though wright? So that wont be an issue I guess... But just to be save I'll flash 4.4.2 firmware and start from there. My problem was I actually got root, but flashed custom roms always got stuck in the boot animation. The thread on that is here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.