[APP] X-Link - Zero Setup File Transfer

Search This thread

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
The app I would like to present is called X-Link and is intended to make file transfers between devices (Android or PC) easy.

It's using multicasts to find other clients within the same WiFi network.
So no setup ist needed.

In addition to the Android app there is also a Java based PC client available.
This client has been tested on Linux and Windows but might work on other configurations.

The full description and a short video can be found on the Android Market page:
https://market.android.com/details?id=de.fun2code.android.xlink

You can not only transfer files between PC and Android but also between Android devices.

This is beta software, so there are still bugs.
Please report them in this thread. I'll have a look as soon as I find time and will contact some of you to get things fixed.

There are surely some timing (and timeout) problems which need some attention.
Make sure your router supports multicasts.

Please post comments, I'll try to read them all :)

Link to PC client
http://www.fun2code.de/downloads/xlink/XLinkClient.jar

Copying of directories
Supported since 0.8.4 beta.

Testing and how you can help

Multicast test
To test if your network is able to deal with multicast messages you can do the following test:

1. Download the file MulticastSender.jar and MulticastReceiver.jar.
2. On one PC start the MulticastSender.jar and on another the MulticastReceiver.jar.

The sender sends screenshots. If you see the screenshots on the receiver's side, multicasts are working for you.
If not, X-Link will not work.

If this works but X-Link doesn't it's likely that there is a problem concerning timeouts within X-Link.
In this case, please send me a mail (xlink [at] fun2code.de).

If sharing on Android does not work
Sharing does not seem to be working in some apps.

If you encounter such a problem, please download the app XLinkDebug.apk and install it.
Use sharing as you normally would with X-Link but select X-Link Debug instead.
On execution the app will copy the information needed for me to fix the issue to the clipboard.

Please paste the clipboard into a mail ans send it to the following address: xlink [at] fun2code.de

Last edited:

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
The devices have to be connected to the same WiFi network and the network has to support multicasts (which usually should be the case).
If you are on a weak WiFi signal it might take more than one try to find other devices.

My test devices are:
Galaxy Nexus, Nexus One and Notion Ink Adam

firoz3321

Apr 30, 2011
Hyderabad
i really do not have knowledge about the Multicast thing, but my Wifi Signal is good. And i used SAMBA and other wifi file sharing apps and they all worked using the same wifi.

And clicked RELOAD many times but i cant see any device in the popdown menu..

superduperben

Aug 30, 2007
Wow, it actually worked in HTC Desire!! Great app!! Now I can transfer files w/o any cables!! Need sometime to allow 2 devices to connect though..

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

timbck2

Jun 17, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
I don't know anything about Multicast, but my Mac is on the same Wifi network as my Galaxy Nexus, and the Mac couldn't see the Nexus. I tried "Reload" several times.

CoolBone

Jun 12, 2010
Works on Windows 7 64-bit and a Galaxy Nexus. Cool app, really like it!

My only suggestions would either be to get rid of the menu and put it all in the "drag file here" area, or maybe some slightly simpler graphics. They come off a little cheesy.

Other than that, it works well.

Next steps would be to keep app closed, but still have access to dropping files. Root access? I'm not sure how it would work.

Last edited:

cbinvb

Nov 5, 2011
App and client work seamlessly with windows 7 and tmo sgsII.

Only thing I notice is inability to share pics directly from my phone's gallery. I use my file explorer and it works fine.

Amazing work. Coffee money on the way

dodge3003

Mar 6, 2011
Derbyshire
Hello There,
Using Windows8, DHD and TF101. My PC had no problem seeing the items on my network Alas, every time I tried to swap a file over I just kept getting a pop message telling me there was an upload error. Thanks.
Pity because it was something I had been looking for :-(

Nieylana

May 2, 2010
Hello There,
Using Windows8, DHD and TF101. My PC had no problem seeing the items on my network Alas, every time I tried to swap a file over I just kept getting a pop message telling me there was an upload error. Thanks.
Pity because it was something I had been looking for :-(

Make sure you have x-link at the front of your screen (on your phone) seems it disappears after being inactive and you'll get the upload error problem. I am of course speaking from experience as I just fought with that, bringing x-link back to the front seemed to solve it.

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
Thanks to all of you for testing!

The X-Link app has to be active on the Android device to be visible to others and for the transfer to work.
If you close the app during data transfer, the transfer will break.

I'm glad that it worked for some of you. I'll do some debugging next week.
Hope things will improve...

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
For does of you having problems seeing other devices.
You can do the following test.

Run the PC client from console: java -jar XLinkClient.jar
Then try to detect you PC from the Android device.

You should see an output similar to this on the console:
Connecting: 192.168.0.198/4500

If an Exception occurs there was a problem when connecting back to the Android device.
If no output is visible, it's likely that multicasts are not working within your network.

Reactions: ptrics

BenSWoodruff

Dec 20, 2010
Vantucky
Might help newer users who want to try out your app if you put a download link on your web site or here in this thread. I found your app through xda article and didn't realize that I had to type the link out verbatim with 'XLinkClient.jar' having correct capitalization lol. Took me a minute to figure out, so newer people might just give up without trying it. Just fyi ;-)

Great app, thanks for your work! Working on Mac running Lion and Droid 3.

upetro

Feb 5, 2012
Ljubljana
Working great on Windows 8 Consumer preview and LG Optimus 2X. If i had a job right now, i would send you money for a beer, but i dont have a job at the moment, so a cant. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The app I would like to present is called X-Link and is intended to make file transfers between devices (Android or PC) easy.

It's using multicasts to find other clients within the same WiFi network.
    So no setup ist needed.

In addition to the Android app there is also a Java based PC client available.
    This client has been tested on Linux and Windows but might work on other configurations.

The full description and a short video can be found on the Android Market page:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=de.fun2code.android.xlink

You can not only transfer files between PC and Android but also between Android devices.

This is beta software, so there are still bugs.
    Please report them in this thread. I'll have a look as soon as I find time and will contact some of you to get things fixed.

There are surely some timing (and timeout) problems which need some attention.
    Make sure your router supports multicasts.

Please post comments, I'll try to read them all :)

Link to PC client
    http://www.fun2code.de/downloads/xlink/XLinkClient.jar

Copying of directories
    Supported since 0.8.4 beta.

Testing and how you can help

Multicast test
    To test if your network is able to deal with multicast messages you can do the following test:

1. Download the file MulticastSender.jar and MulticastReceiver.jar.
    2. On one PC start the MulticastSender.jar and on another the MulticastReceiver.jar.

The sender sends screenshots. If you see the screenshots on the receiver's side, multicasts are working for you.
    If not, X-Link will not work.

If this works but X-Link doesn't it's likely that there is a problem concerning timeouts within X-Link.
    In this case, please send me a mail (xlink [at] fun2code.de).

If sharing on Android does not work
    Sharing does not seem to be working in some apps.

If you encounter such a problem, please download the app XLinkDebug.apk and install it.
    Use sharing as you normally would with X-Link but select X-Link Debug instead.
    On execution the app will copy the information needed for me to fix the issue to the clipboard.

Please paste the clipboard into a mail ans send it to the following address: xlink [at] fun2code.de
    Thanks to all of you for testing!

The X-Link app has to be active on the Android device to be visible to others and for the transfer to work.
    If you close the app during data transfer, the transfer will break.

I'm glad that it worked for some of you. I'll do some debugging next week.
    Hope things will improve...
    For does of you having problems seeing other devices.
    You can do the following test.

Run the PC client from console: java -jar XLinkClient.jar
    Then try to detect you PC from the Android device.

You should see an output similar to this on the console:
    Connecting: 192.168.0.198/4500

If an Exception occurs there was a problem when connecting back to the Android device.
    If no output is visible, it's likely that multicasts are not working within your network.
    How does one send files from phone to PC? It does need some authentication things like previously stated.

With X-Link on/running on both phone and PC, just share a file from your phone (via whatever file manager you use).
    Copying of folders is not supported at the moment.
    There are some things that need to be fixed first (stable detection etc.).
    It's on the list, but might take a while.