802.1x wifi problem | galaxy gio

Search This thread

runedegroot

Oct 4, 2011
www.runedegroot.com
Man, thats odd... I assume you aren't on the North American continent... Where did you pick your Gio up from?

You know... Its possible that the issue you have was fixed in a base band (modem) update... You could try flashing the phone to the latest OE firmware (Not necessarily the one that came with your carrier as branded firmware tends to take forever to get updated), and see if that works...

Picked up in tge netherlands, flashed with cm9

Sent from my GT-S5660 using XDA App

runedegroot

Oct 4, 2011
www.runedegroot.com
this are my screenshots, everything I can see. You need more? If so, how can I gather it? Thanks for help so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-01.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-01.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-07.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-07.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-22.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-22.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-42.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-21-08-59-42.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 99

o0ze

Feb 19, 2012
Seems you are getting an ipadress and gateway address.
Install 'fing' from the martket (or any other market app that provides ping/traceroute/dns lookup functionality).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

And try to ping your gateway: 10.20.65.254
next to try are your dns servers: 10.20.1.6 and 10.20.1.2
DNS servers resolve names like www.google.com to 173.194.67.147

See if you get any replies that way you know that you do a have a working connection on the internal network (in some rare cases sysadmins will disable ping).

If you get normal replies. Next thing to check if you get proper routing to the internet.

And traceroute for example to:
173.194.67.147 (this is www.google.com) if you get more then lets 4/5 hops then this part is ok too if unsure screenshot it please.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute

Next thing to try is to do a dns lookup of a host like www.google.com see if it resolves to number 173.194.67.147

This should give some more info on what is working and what is not.

NOTE: you can only preform these tasks while connected to the WiFi in question. You can however test the tools on you home wifi to the google.com (or any site host for that matter) or your local router IP's

Last edited:

tioammar

Nov 26, 2011
Makassar
have you ever think that you wifi use some micro hotspot which's need another login after connect? and smartphone sometimes (maybe always)cannot connect to the hostspot... no matter how you set the ip address

correct if i'm wrong and sorry if i just answer with such stupid answer :D

voetbalremco

Inactive Recognized Developer
have you ever think that you wifi use some micro hotspot which's need another login after connect? and smartphone sometimes (maybe always)cannot connect to the hostspot... no matter how you set the ip address

correct if i'm wrong and sorry if i just answer with such stupid answer :D

I do, in trains theres free wifi, however you do need to log in, byt this works fine for me

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Gio using XDA premium

o0ze

Feb 19, 2012
I've never in my life seen a free hotspot with 802.1x authentication. He is connecting a to school secure 802.1x authenticated network.
I assume he had to set a user/pass to be able to connect.

voetbalremco

I've never in my life seen a free hotspot with 802.1x authentication. He is connecting a to school secure 802.1x authenticated network.
I assume he had to set a user/pass to be able to connect.

Its not 802.1x in the trains...
At school it is, and it works fine
Are you sure 'anonieme identiteit' is empty?? You dont need to fill that

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk

runedegroot

Oct 4, 2011
www.runedegroot.com
internet problem

Its not 802.1x in the trains...
At school it is, and it works fine
Are you sure 'anonieme identiteit' is empty?? You dont need to fill that
Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk

Yes sure, I fill in my identity and my password, just click ok. Also i tried all Phase-2 abilitys. PAP, MSCHAP, GTC. Also did none.
Doesnt change it. It sais I'm connected.
I can see the DHCP awnsers but I just cannot browse, or open apps thats require internet.
See the screenshots i posted above, you can see my "fing" results
* Added screenshots, tell me if you need more..
* Also if you can see, this is what it looks like when I'm connected at school. It sais it works, but cant browse
* Ill lookup DNS and stuff today, if I don't forget ;) I just had 2 hours school yesterday. So had no time to do it all

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-02-22-10-37-52.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-22-10-37-52.png
    28 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2012-02-22-10-38-22.png
    Screenshot_2012-02-22-10-38-22.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

atirox

Oct 8, 2011
Manitoba
I was looking at the RSSI indicator in the Notification bar on the top of the screenshots... it looks like its empty... Which would indicate that you're too far away from the router to actually get a decent enough connection to send or recieve any data... There are wifi manager apps in the Market that will display the signal strength in dBm, which is important. You'll find that anything less than about -90dBm will halt all wireless activity, and anything less than about -80dBm will slow it to a 2 MBPS crawl...

It would be interesting to find out exactly what your signal strength is...

PS: I haven't tinkered with CyanogenMod 9 yet... so i'm not certain. None the less... I'll find it very hilarious if this is the issue, and the both of us overlooked it. :D

Last edited:

voetbalremco

I was looking at the RSSI indicator in the Notification bar on the top of the screenshots... it looks like its empty... Which would indicate that you're too far away from the router to actually get a decent enough connection to send or recieve any data... There are wifi manager apps in the Market that will display the signal strength in dBm, which is important. You'll find that anything less than about -90dBm will halt all wireless activity, and anything less than about -80dBm will slow it to a 2 MBPS crawl...

PS: I haven't tinkered with CyanogenMod 9 yet... so i'm not certain. None the less... I'll find it very hilarious if this is the issue, and the both of us overlooked it. :D

Its a bug in cm9, the signal indicator doesnt work in status bar

Sent from my GT-S5660 using xda premium

runedegroot

Oct 4, 2011
www.runedegroot.com

Yep, its a bug, there are triangles inside, they mark data-transfer ;)

runedegroot

Oct 4, 2011
www.runedegroot.com
Well the code didnt work, school network got "KEY FREE!" Thanks god! :)
Slow as hell though. But it would be nice to continue the thread because, the problem is not fixed imho.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oi, there is so much that could be going on here...

Its an Atheros AR6003G chip, which as far as i know, supports 802.11 A/B/G/N, and hardware encryption for WEP/WPA...

Odds are, if its an 802.1x type network, the chip will do the encrypting/decrypting after the handshake is completed, provided its set up correctly. WEP and WPA are set up by using a Pre-shared Key that all users need to have... If you study how to recover the key, you'll find that the hash is created by taking the plaintext passkey, running it through the specified algorithm, then salting it with the name of the network. So long as all devices have the correct network name and the correct plaintext password, any device can connect to the network, because they'll all end up with the same hash.

802.1x encryption is different. It uses an authentication server. This makes it similar to any modern computer you log onto. You provide the computer with your credentials, and it checks it against the server. If they match, then you are allowed access. If they don't you get an error message. Which means, that if anything is broken, it won't work. If you don't use the correct authentication protocol, it won't work. If you don't have the right certificates, it won't work.

Best advice I can give is, double check everything. Make sure your Gio has the correct certificates and that its using the correct protocols. Double check your IP/Subnet Mask/Gateway addresses. If you don't have an IP address, you'll have to manually configure it. If the Subnet Mask is incorrect or the Gateway address is incorrect, it won't work either. Also, check your DNS server addresses. If those aren't correct it won't load any webpages using URLs. It will only load them using the IP address of the server. Which means, telling the browser to go to www.google.com won't work, but if you tell it to go to 173.194.67.99:80, it will load the Google homepage.

Hopefully this will give you somewhere to start...
    Well, apparently DHCP doesn't work for him, so whats he have to loose? :D

Although that's quite interesting... What phone do you use, and whats the network information you have when you're connected to your school's network?
    Actually that was for willie1001... :p

And its possible that changing the reguatory domain could work. If you're running software designed for the states, it would disable any channel above 11... But then again, if you can "see" the wireless network in the settings menu, it would make sense that its programmed to use a channel isn't above channel 11... Which would mean that changing the regulatory domain wouldn't help it at all...

Come to think of it, if your MAC address is blocked, it wouldn't allow you access... But then again, you'd have to do something for the school to block your MAC address. And if the other students can access it, then it would have to be specifically you who did something to piss off a teacher.

Also, any information you can get me about the router would help greatly. By figuring out the manufacturer of the router and the model number of the router, its possible to narrow down the likely IP addresses that the router would use..

Haha no, I didn't piss of a teacher ;)
    I think it's a gio problem, willie1001 has the galaxy s with cyanogenmod 9.
    I have gio with cyanogenmod 9. But it also didnts work with stock or cyanogenmod 7.
    I will send you some information I can see on my phone, if I won't forget it