Nook Color won't go into USB Mode

Search This thread

CrackedTech

Mar 30, 2010
St. Charles, MO
I really need some help here as I have hit a wall. Currently my Nook Color will not go into USB Mode when connected to the PC (Win 7 x64). When I plug it in the drives show up under My Computer but are the generic greyed out Removable Disk icons. I did have my NC dual booted with Taosaur's instructions and this problem started when I went to update the stock ROM.

Since then I've gone through the instructions in that thread several times and even posted there with no luck. I've restored to stock every way I can find including the 8 failed boots method and have tried damn near everything else I can find. I've swapped out drivers on the PC, reinstalled the Android SDK more than once and have verified this same thing occurs on multiple PCs and with multiple cables. I will say that the one time I got it to work was by rolling the NC all the way back to 1.1.0 but if I update after that it stops working again.

As it stands now my NC is completely stock as far as I can tell it just won't let me transfer files to it. If I transfer a book to the SD Card on the PC and then plug it into the NC and try to open it all I get is a blank white screen with a small black arrow at the top and the NC becomes unresponsive.

Is there some change I'm missing that would cause this or anything else I might have done? Please offer any help you can think as I've tried everything I can find. Also, sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

slack04

May 4, 2010
I really need some help here as I have hit a wall. Currently my Nook Color will not go into USB Mode when connected to the PC (Win 7 x64). When I plug it in the drives show up under My Computer but are the generic greyed out Removable Disk icons. I did have my NC dual booted with Taosaur's instructions and this problem started when I went to update the stock ROM.

Since then I've gone through the instructions in that thread several times and even posted there with no luck. I've restored to stock every way I can find including the 8 failed boots method and have tried damn near everything else I can find. I've swapped out drivers on the PC, reinstalled the Android SDK more than once and have verified this same thing occurs on multiple PCs and with multiple cables. I will say that the one time I got it to work was by rolling the NC all the way back to 1.1.0 but if I update after that it stops working again.

As it stands now my NC is completely stock as far as I can tell it just won't let me transfer files to it. If I transfer a book to the SD Card on the PC and then plug it into the NC and try to open it all I get is a blank white screen with a small black arrow at the top and the NC becomes unresponsive.

Is there some change I'm missing that would cause this or anything else I might have done? Please offer any help you can think as I've tried everything I can find. Also, sorry for the wall of text.

No idea what your specific problem is, but I'd suggest skipping the cable and using a wireless transfer solution anyways. Easier than breaking out the cable (or transferring the card). Try wifi file explorer pro. I've been using it for months on several different android devices and it's never failed to be awesome (and the dev updates it every few weeks with new features!). good luck!

CrackedTech

Mar 30, 2010
St. Charles, MO
I haven't tried a different card in the device so I will check that out. However, I can put that card in a USB reader and transfer files to it that way but when I try to open them on the book afterwards it's just a white screen with a little black arrow on it.