Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
After playing with a 3 for a few hours yesterday ...I'm happy to report that my little note 2 with carbon rom and zero lemon battery is in every way more appealing to me ...
Touchwiz is just not my cup of tea...and I would no more drop $800.00 for a note 3 than flap my arms and fly ...

I was far more impressed with the S4...
Wow that display is sweet ....g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Guess it's all personal preference then. I still have my Note 2 running Skynote 9.3 and it just doesn't even compare to my Note 3. The S4 is nice, but playing with my friends next to my Note 3 it doesn't feel as fast. Every now and then Touchwiz locks up as you're scrolling. No lag at all on the N3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: gregsarg

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Guess it's all personal preference then. I still have my Note 2 running Skynote 9.3 and it just doesn't even compare to my Note 3. The S4 is nice, but playing with my friends next to my Note 3 it doesn't feel as fast. Every now and then Touchwiz locks up as you're scrolling. No lag at all on the N3.

Yes...
Of course my taste is different than others I suppose ...

And I honesty think that with so many great devices out there in the galaxy lineup ...we often compare apples to apples with the arguments being taste only...

Truly ...the note 3 is a great device...and the note 2 as well...

Once my contract position is such that I can get a device for a significantly discounted price then I may jump ...but certainly not at full price as I feel that the value simply isn't there...

To each his own of course ...and I'm glad that your device meets your expectations...

And I'm also pleased that the device isn't one of those that leaves users disappointed by it's form and function ...as that end of the purchase simply sucks ....g

Reactions: tmb993

crixley

May 25, 2012
After playing with a 3 for a few hours yesterday ...I'm happy to report that my little note 2 with carbon rom and zero lemon battery is in every way more appealing to me ...
Touchwiz is just not my cup of tea...and I would no more drop $800.00 for a note 3 than flap my arms and fly ...

I was far more impressed with the S4...
Wow that display is sweet ....g

total opposite experience here...

I played with a note 3 and thought it was way smoother than the 2 with a far nicer screen.

http://www.tested.com/tech/smartpho...3s-diamond-sub-pixels-mask-pentiles-weakness/

I don't really see the sense in having a note and using aosp tbh

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
I just broke my phone and am getting a replacement with my protection plan.

I have the choice of Note 2 or S4 ....

what do you think?

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
total opposite experience here...

I played with a note 3 and thought it was way smoother than the 2 with a far nicer screen.

http://www.tested.com/tech/smartpho...3s-diamond-sub-pixels-mask-pentiles-weakness/

I don't really see the sense in having a note and using aosp tbh

Exactly. Getting rid of Touchwiz ultimately defeats the purpose of owning a Note device. And yes, the display is wicked awesome.

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Im torn

Note 2 Pros
Huge 5.5" Screen
Stylus
Huge Battery

Cons
Touchwiz for best stylus support
8MP camera

S4 Pros
5" screen
IR blaster
ASOP (pac)
13MP cam
Smaller

Cons
Smaller
Less batery

Last edited:

lazerus06

Jun 15, 2010
Elizabethtown
Trading my Note 2 for the Optimus G Pro tomorrow. Its been an awesome phone but finally played with the G Pro in the store and loved it. It looks like LG has finally got their act together. Plus, with the G Pro being close spec wise to the Nexus phones, it looks like LG is going to be updating it.

crixley

May 25, 2012
Trading my Note 2 for the Optimus G Pro tomorrow. Its been an awesome phone but finally played with the G Pro in the store and loved it. It looks like LG has finally got their act together. Plus, with the G Pro being close spec wise to the Nexus phones, it looks like LG is going to be updating it.

Like the lg optimus g you mean? LOL

That level of "support"?

I had that and traded it for an xperia z which I traded for my htc one.

The optimus g was nice, but a common consensus on the board was to stay away from lg, once you buy it, don't expect to ever see an update

lazerus06

Jun 15, 2010
Elizabethtown
Like the lg optimus g you mean? LOL

That level of "support"?

I had that and traded it for an xperia z which I traded for my htc one.

The optimus g was nice, but a common consensus on the board was to stay away from lg, once you buy it, don't expect to ever see an update

No, I mean the Optimus G Pro.

LG isn't any worse than Samsung at this point. The Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 were flagship phones and are still stuck on 4.1.X.

Last edited:

crixley

May 25, 2012
No, I mean the Optimus G Pro.

LG isn't any worse than Samsung at this point. The Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 were flagship phones and are still stuck on 4.1.X.

I know, what I'm saying is like they are supporting the optimus g? You obviously didn't get what I wrote..

I agree with you there about samsung, but at least samsung phones WILL get an update. Pretty much all lg phones never see any official updates

lazerus06

Jun 15, 2010
Elizabethtown
I know, what I'm saying is like they are supporting the optimus g? You obviously didn't get what I wrote..

I agree with you there about samsung, but at least samsung phones WILL get an update. Pretty much all lg phones never see any official updates

Ahh I got you now.

Like I said, I think LG is on the right track now. It appears the Optimus line is getting updated. I think since working with Google on the Nexus phones, they have gotten their act together.

http://thedroidguy.com/2013/10/lg-s...headed-optimus-g-october/#cDJWi44hFMFfgjpo.99

D

Deleted member 3920726

Well, I for one don't intend on keeping my Note 2 or upgrading to the Note 3. At the end of the month I'm going for the Nexus 5. The note is a great device but I really miss all the AOSP development of the nexus phones.

Unless the Nexus has a chappy battery(which doesn't appear that way), I'll be selling my N2 at the end of the month.

Reactions: crixley

crixley

May 25, 2012

tmb993

Apr 5, 2012
Seeing what the Max turned out to be has made me even happier that I bought the GN3. What most OEMs are failing to realize is that the success of the Note line is not just because of the size, but rather how the software's features utilize that size. HTC just made a big clunky phone with a terribly placed fingerprint scanner.

Sent From My AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The sensor is what matters, not the megapixel count.

That is a huge misconception

THIS is 1000% true, dont be misled by stupid megapixel numbers..
    Iphone 5 S/C humor

Sure some of you have seen this but I really got a kick out of it. Some weekend humor. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1407915812759060
    Note 3 Details

This will probably get lost here, but I didn't want to make a thread for just this.

I was at my local Best Buy checking out the Samsung kiosk they just setup; When I was introduced to the regional manager for Samsung, who was there teaching the Best Buy people that were manning the kiosk selling point details.

He tried REALLY hard on me to get me to pick up an S4 (still thinking about it), but I explained that my main love for my Note 2 is that is doubles as my in car GPS and was very easy for me to select tracks and channels while driving (due to the large screen size).

He said he totally understood (having a Note 2 himself) and that I should wait until later this year for the Note 3.
    Here are the details that I got:

1.) Note 3 will be out towards the end of the 3rd quarter
    2.) Note 3 will have a 6" screen BUT keep the same footprint as the Note 2 (They are eliminating most of the bezel).
    3.) The features that are in the S4 will all be in the Note 3, plus a few that he couldn't talk about yet.
    4.) The CPU will most likely be a 2ghz. (I am saying this because of his explanation of the S4 quad and octo CPU - he said that the Note 3 will "make waves")

I know it isn't much, but it was enough to make me want to just wait for the Note 3.

Oh, and he also explained:

1.) The US S4 only got the quad because of the lack of LTE in the octo.
    2.) The Octo is really 2 CPUs, one clocked at 1.9ghz and the other at 1.2ghz.

I didn't know that and just thought I would share.
    My email said the device would ship between 9-11 and 9-13. I can post a picture of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running SkyNote 9.3.

Hopefully it's not a mistake. Would be awesome to be one of the first to receive this bad boy before any one else. I need to wait till February for my upgrade. Which is fine. It'll give enough time for the devs to do there thing in case the bootloader is locked. And for some great Roms to come out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    and, 6.3 inches will not fit in pants pockets, the way the current one does...in this case, bigger is NOT better..