[Q] Custom Rom That Keeps S Pen Functionality?

Search This thread

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
I'm getting a Galaxy Note 8 (N5110) pretty soon, and I understand the stock TouchWiz kind of sucks, so I want to go with a custom ROM when I root.

My biggest concern is maintaining all of the S Pen functionality, because on top of using this as a general media tablet, I also plan to use it as a digitizer on my PC, making use of the pressure sensitivity and all as well. Granted, I could do with losing SOME of the features, but I'd like to keep or improve upon the majority of them.

Seeing as I'm new to this website, the way the forums are laid out is still taking some getting used to. I was wondering if anyone knows of any ROMs that would fit what I'm looking for? It doesn't have to be exact, I understand that's expecting too much. Also, I don't care if it's on 4.2.2 or on 4.4, I'm going to listen to your suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Rob

EDIT: After looking around more, I realize I probably sound like an idiot. I don't intend to, naturally, and I'm more than willing to learn. I just don't know how to phrase things properly for this yet. Apologies if it creates any confusion as to what the crap I'm talking about lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCallahan

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
I'm getting a Galaxy Note 8 (N5110) pretty soon, and I understand the stock TouchWiz kind of sucks, so I want to go with a custom ROM when I root.

My biggest concern is maintaining all of the S Pen functionality, because on top of using this as a general media tablet, I also plan to use it as a digitizer on my PC, making use of the pressure sensitivity and all as well. Granted, I could do with losing SOME of the features, but I'd like to keep or improve upon the majority of them.

Seeing as I'm new to this website, the way the forums are laid out is still taking some getting used to. I was wondering if anyone knows of any ROMs that would fit what I'm looking for? It doesn't have to be exact, I understand that's expecting too much. Also, I don't care if it's on 4.2.2 or on 4.4, I'm going to listen to your suggestions.

Rob

EDIT: After looking around more, I realize I probably sound like an idiot. I don't intend to, naturally, and I'm more than willing to learn. I just don't know how to phrase things properly for this yet. Apologies if it creates any confusion as to what the crap I'm talking about lol.

Threw you a thanks to say "welcome to XDA". As for your question, I don't think you can go wrong with this rom:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2367151

It has been time tested and the rom creator incorporates his own kernel as well so no surprises. Everything works and think you will like the added functionality such as easy battery icon customization, floating multiwindows, and many other enhancements. I have been running this since day one with my Note and no issues at all.

ArobeeTV

Feb 14, 2014
Regina
Threw you a thanks to say "welcome to XDA". As for your question, I don't think you can go wrong with this rom:

It has been time tested and the rom creator incorporates his own kernel as well so no surprises. Everything works and think you will like the added functionality such as easy battery icon customization, floating multiwindows, and many other enhancements. I have been running this since day one with my Note and no issues at all.

Thanks for the reply, the thanks, and the welcome! I look forward to getting more into the XDA community, especially after I get my tablet and can really start the fun!

That ROM looks pretty good, I like the features. I assume these ROMs are primarily a personal preference type thing, eh? Not so much a "best" one out there, only ROMs that are best for you? Providing it doesn't do any harm to the tablet, I'll probably try a bunch of ROMs, see what I like, and since this one was suggested, I'll make it first on the list :D

Jamie T

Mar 1, 2013
Spen works with any CM ROM I've tried so far.. That is just the pen and pressure sensitivity and nothing else.. So I'm on slimkat and the pen works.. Just no exfat support yet

Samavb

Dec 9, 2010
Another alternative

Hi,

You can try X-Note Rom 5.1 too. It has many features and customizations that might just fit your needs . Plus this ROM gives Excellent battery life. I got 7 days of battery life with 9 hours screen on time most of the time and on average 8 and half to 9 hours screen on time without any power saving or flight mode. I have customized my N5100 (3G and Wifi) on this ROM.

This ROM is based on Samsung 4.2.2 with all S pen features.

Cheers!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2345299

Rob

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Civato has a great ROM, but I am not impressed with loosing any built-in functions missed out on Custom ROMs. There is not a single custom ROM that is fully complete with features.

GT-N5110 & GT-N5120 - 64GB 633x on board, Status Official on SafeRooted OEM ROMs with Wanam Xposed and RootCloak. The only way to fly 8+ hours!

This badboy don't play with Play & Triangle away!

glockman4519

Jun 5, 2013
Central Pa
plus.google.com
There is an app in the play store Called ( CM S Pen Add-on Root ) that allows a CM Rom to recognize your S-pen if you are going to go the CM based Roms. It is still not as good as the original on touch wiz. You will have to have an app like Papyrus if you want that S note like feel too. But there is no way yet to get the true use of the S pen feature on your tablet if you are not on Touch Wiz.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rob

Rob