[ROM][NC] Unofficial CM9 Nightly builds - with/without OpenGL

Search This thread

viogrep

Jul 31, 2010
Also Rockn cm7 and looking to upgrade...did video playback ever get resolved in cm9?

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

I had the same question. I have since upgraded to cm9 with opengl. I use cifsmanager to mount a share on my media server on the local network and can watch 720p avi/mp4's pretty easily with MX Player. It's the only video player I've tried, it does the job perfectly. The video I'm watching right now is x264, 1280×528 at 29 fps and it has a FEW jumpy spots but are hard to notice. I do believe this is more from my terrible wifi router's throughput than the device though.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
MX Player will play just about anything using its built-in software decode. The HW acceleration on cm9 is not fully funtional yet, so performance for some formats will not be as smooth as cm7, but it works.

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in

jewnersey

Jul 25, 2010
so does the 417 build have the new kernel or is that all gonna be in tomorrow's build

Yeah no problem flashing non gl rom over a gl one. I try sometime the gl to check if it's run better then update to non gl.
About the freeze, I read somewhere that the new gl build don't tweak the egl configuration file (removing of Android 0 0..)

Give it a try..

i checked my egl.cfg file under /system/lib/egl/egl.cfg
it doenst have 0 0 android in it... so perhaps that not the source of my freezing issues.

going to install 4/17 non-OpenGL over my current OpenGL install and see if it helps any (i will also report back about whether 0 0 Android gets added to the egl file...

friedsonjm

Oct 30, 2008
Google Pixel 7 Pro
4/19 Build - Something's Changed?!

openGL, 1200mHtz max, force GPU on...
NenaMark2 9.2 which is a significant improvement over previous 7.3 !
NenaMark1 "only" 18.3, which is down slightly?
2316 on AnnTuTu, which is on of the higher scores I've had, and an improvement over yesterday, but not huge.
Quadrant 1715, CPU 1741, Mem 1062, I/O 4295, 2D 509, 3D 968

Looking at my previous tests, 2D is up significantly, and 3D is up somewhat as well...

Anyone care to repeat these tests?

Last edited:

archangelz

Dec 7, 2010
it doenst have 0 0 android in it... so perhaps that not the source of my freezing issues.

going to install 4/17 non-OpenGL over my current OpenGL install and see if it helps any (i will also report back about whether 0 0 Android gets added to the egl file...

I have the same issue as you, went from a non-openGL build to the openGL. Love the increase in performance but the thing freezes once every few hours and reboots.

No line in my egl.cfg either.

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in

The 0 0 android line was removed in source a while back.

J515OP

Mar 9, 2012
Northern CA
openGL, 1200mHtz max, force GPU on...
NenaMark2 9.2 which is a significant improvement over previous 7.3 !
NenaMark1 "only" 18.3, which is down slightly?
2316 on AnnTuTu, which is on of the higher scores I've had, and an improvement over yesterday, but not huge.
Quadrant 1715, CPU 1741, Mem 1062, I/O 4295, 2D 509, 3D 968

Looking at my previous tests, 2D is up significantly, and 3D is up somewhat as well...

Anyone care to repeat these tests?

eyeballer's 4.18 opengl, 1200MHz Conservative

NenaMark2 6.1

AnTutu 2401

Quadrant 1832, CPU 1680, Mem 1080, I/O 5035, 2d 329, 3D 1034

taylor.fowler

Aug 14, 2010
NYC
4.18 OpenGL 1200 with Force GPU on and 64mb swapfile

nenamark2:

InteractiveX - 7.1
Performance - 9.2

Quadrant:

InteractiveX - 1677 (CPU 1722, Mem 971, IO 4246,2D 498,3D 950)
Performance - 1770 (CPU 1772, Mem 1054, IO 4425, 2D 565, 3D 1036)

Interesting...Glad to see things keep getting better

installed 4/17 nonOpenGL over previous OpenGL
wiped dalvik, re-did supercharger v6 configuration
re-charged battery from 30 to 100 percent; sat over night;
tried to use it the next day; was browsing rss feeds via google reader for about 3 minutes before a freeze.

guessing i just need to start over, maybe ill try a clean install from a newer build.

viogrep

Jul 31, 2010
installed 4/17 nonOpenGL over previous OpenGL
wiped dalvik, re-did supercharger v6 configuration
re-charged battery from 30 to 100 percent; sat over night;
tried to use it the next day; was browsing rss feeds via google reader for about 3 minutes before a freeze.

guessing i just need to start over, maybe ill try a clean install from a newer build.

I've tried the last 4 builds(as of this post). OpenGL and not. I'm getting pretty regular freezes. Guess I'm gona go back to cm7 for a short while and wait on a few kinks to work themselves out.

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
I'm running 0418 non-opengl, and I got a browser freeze last night as I was trying to fall asleep. I plugged in, rebooted, and put down the NC before the bootanim got very far, and went to sleep.

When I woke up, seven hours later, CPU Spy reported 5:30 of deep sleep. This was AC plugged, with WiFi always on and connected, and background updates clearly happened (K-9, BeyondPod). Now, the prevailing opinion seems to be that we shouldn't be getting deep sleep in this situation, and I usually don't see it unless I've just booted and put down the device. I reliably get lots of deep sleep when I'm out of WiFi range.

Just a data point, really, but it contradicts opinion I've seen expressed here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 9/4 opengl is enabled on all builds (so no more double builds each night) and hardware UI acceleration is working. Thanks krylon360 for the work :)

In the same spirit as Samiam303 I've been building and hosting nightly builds of CM9 for the community to use. In particular I'm now building nightlies with OpenGL rendering turned on in addition to non-openGL builds (same as Samiam303). These builds are all straight sync with CM source with no additional mods. Builds are sync'd at 3am EST for non-openGL and 4am EST for openGL - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after their sync times.

So what does OpenGL rendering mean? It means we have some form of hardware acceleration for the UI and apps. It is not full hw accel and it is not hw video decoding. The couple of things you'll notice work is wallpaper scrolling in the launcher and chrome beta will mostly work to render webpages but will fc if you go into settings. Flash also somewhat works - I've found you definitely need to OC to get some flash videos to work, most still are not smooth.

The downside to it seems to vary user to user, some people report sluggish responses and some get lock ups, a few have no problems at all..

Either way, give them a try and report back. Please try to keep the thread on topic of these builds only, other mods can be flashed over, but that discussion should be in the respective thread. I'd also like to revisit keyodi's suggestion here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22277804#post22277804) - a few people reported good results with that change. Any more feedback?

Downloads

There's a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/encore
    2) Follow @CM_Encore on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Encore IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) *NEW* Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your nook. With Goo Manager you can also get incremental updates, see my post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

5/9/12: Goo Manager now comes pre-installed to make updating as easy as possible :)
    4/28/12: Incremental updates are available for the flash-a-holics: See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25441065#post25441065
    3/10/12: Due to some merges yesterday you may need to reflash gapps when going from a nightly prior to 3/9 to later than 3/9

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to fattire, dalingrin and the rest of the CM encore theme for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo app.
    The 9/4 nightly includes all of krylon's changes, and opengl is now enabled by default so there will only be 1 build each night from now on (unless something changes again). In testing we haven't experienced any freezes or random reboots with the new code and opengl enabled, of course with wider testing we may discover something.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.
    Nightlies will now feature HWA and full Hardware Decoding, as well as working Flash.

Known issues.
    Netflix - Stupid Stupid App. :p - Giving the same error as we are getting in JB, so when we fix one, we will fix the other.

Fruit Ninja - Hangs at the loading screen. - Known issue across several devices.
    I've decided to pause the nightlies at this point. If most people are on 9/4 we can start to see if there's any specific issues affecting all users that might be able to be resolved with the goal being as stable a cm9 release as possible. There isn't much being merged into the cm9 tree upstream so we're not losing anything by building less frequency.

So go ahead and install 9/4, if I see something of significance merged upstream I'll kick off a new public build.

thanks eye.
    This gives me a chance to hack in the PBHACK which will bring down the memory usage of SystemUI like I did in JB.
    Gonna take some work since it didnt like some of the syntax usage when I attempted the 1st time.
    Will try to get to this sometime this week. Have my Grandma coming to town on Sunday, so will be unavail this weekend/next week.